GDC VI: Smoking Kills

the.ronin

According to an official study, among the top three New Years resolutions is to quit smoking ... and quite warranted:

Deaths caused by smoking are five times higher than the 22,833 deaths arising from: traffic accidents (3,439); poisoning and overdose (881); alcoholic liver disease (5,121); other accidental deaths (8,579); murder and manslaughter (513); suicide (4,066); and HIV infection (234) in the UK during 2002.  World-wide, almost 5 million die prematurely each year as a result of smoking.

Based on current trends, this will rise to 10 million within 20 years.

NoSmoking.gif

This public service announcement is being brought to you by GDC VI!!

Theme: Smoking Kills

Classification: Postcard

Style: Static Image

Size Maximum: 400 px wide x 300 px high; 150 kb

Last Date of Submission: January 17, 2006; 12.00 am GMT

Minimum Point Hurdle: 40

gdcawardvi_unclaimed.gif

Those are pretty good. :thumbsup:

I'm reallly against smoking, but I heard that in Japan the lung cancer rates are a fraction of what we have here in the US, and they smoke much more than people here do.

I would never smoke regardless of any statistics given, but I did think it was an interesting bit of info.

Now of course the Japanese have a different diet, and the number of overweight people is far less etc...., so there are a good number of other factors.

I'm reallly against smoking, but I heard that in Japan the lung cancer rates are a fraction of what we have here in the US, and they smoke much more than people here do ... Now of course the Japanese have a different diet, and the number of overweight people is far less etc...., so there are a good number of other factors.

Very interesting stuff!!

Another interesting factoid (myth?) is that Philip Morris once commissioned a study for the government of a former Soviet state (one of those *stans) highlighting the cost / benefit of cigarettes vs govt funded healthcare for elderly. Sick.

For the record, I too am a smoker. Not proud of it. But we all make mistakes.

My entry:

gdcentery.jpg

It probably doesn't make any sense to those who don't have access to the ole timers forum, but it was the first thing that came to mind for me.

I can't help it...

"ThEn" should be "ThAn"... diferent words. :thumbsup:

Up and at em, happy campers!! You should have already gotten over from the New Years hangover by now ... or at least mostly ... so theres no excuse for not having your entry in by own ... you guys know who I'm talking about!!

Giddy up!! donq.gif

Up and at em, happy campers!!  You should have already gotten over from the New Years hangover by now ... or at least mostly ... so theres no excuse for not having your entry in by own ... you guys know who I'm talking about!!

Giddy up!!  donq.gif

Has anyone seen a news piece for this GDC? :unsure:

Time for the wytchdokta to prepare another remedy.... :whistle:

**Goes back down into his lab to go get this show on the road**

Oh, ZJJ, rumour has it that rival ninja warriors came and stole the news the news piece for this GDC. I'm doing all I can to get it back on your behalf. Might have to use some ancient witch craft techniques and black magic to get it back - I hear that them ninja warriors are some of the best yet.....

Edited by WytchDokta