Can we play an MP game with GRIN ?

As far as selections go, has a size for the team been determined yet? If it's between 4 and 8, I think the best way would be to let the GR.net fans put their own teams of 4 together and have a tourny.

We shouldn't have individuals competing against each other; we should have teams. The best team that's been playing together for a month is going to be better than the best four individuals who have been practicing for a month, but who are selected and then thrown together for only a few days before the match.

If it's teams of 8, maybe we could combine the two best teams of four from a tourny and each operate as a squad.

--Logos

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lottery?

Having clans compete for the spot will leave us clanless people in quite a pickle.

I disagree. I'm not in a clan, not anymore, anyway, and this is exactly what I want. I can pull 3 - 5 old GR buddies and put together a team to compete in a tourny. I've already got the names in mind. That's not an issue. As far as those who don't even have that as an option -- you've got EACH OTHER. I guarantee if this goes the 3, 4, 5, 6--man team tourny route, there will be people in here looking to put teams together. There will be solos like us playing the game the day it's released, sizing up people to put on the team. You can make a team. You can get on a team. The sweet, young Swedish thing is going to be looking for partner. There's you start.

--Logos

As I think about it, one downside to my team-tourny suggestion is that many of the teams would be one GR.net fan and three clan-mates, and I think that ideally the whole team should be GR.net fans.

Another downside to this is that the tourny could get REAL big, REAL quick, and then our lovely GR.net mods will have a big job on their hands.

I can see reasons that they would NOT want to do this this way, but this is what would produce a team with the best chance at kicking GRIN in the teeth, which I think should be the goal.

And Rocky, ZJJ, WhiteKnight, if you decide on selecting individuals to make a team, please make that selection process go quickly to ensure the maximum team-practice time possible for our representatives. If selection process is going to be ingame competition, I would rather see 1 week of practicing for the selection process competition with 3 weeks for the team to practice, than 3 weeks to practice for the selection process and only one week for the team.

--Logos

Edited by Logos

And Rocky, ZJJ, WhiteKnight, if you decide on selecting individuals to make a team, please make that selection process go quickly to ensure the maximum team-practice time possible for our representatives.  If selection process is going to be ingame competition, I would rather see 1 week of practicing for the selection process competition with 3 weeks for the team to practice, than 3 weeks to practice for the selection process and only one week for the team.

Check out Mr Competitive :P

And now that I've had some time to think about the alternative to a team-tourny: the selection of individuals to throw together a team by a lottery, individual stats, a "why I sould be picked" post contest, or whatever other method might be devised, consider what might happen --

GR.net patches together a 9-man team by whatever process.

Team practices together.

Team practices against other people (the rest of us) and gets slapped around.

We see that the team going is not among the best available, maybe not even particularly good, and interest declines. :(

I think the above scenario would be tragic, but it could happen if the team going isn't solid. It doesn't have to be the most elite players, but it needs to be solid, and the selection process should be designed to facilitate that. Hell, I'd rather see it GIVEN to the boys from SEALZ and FC to put a team together than send a rag-tag pick-up team.

--Logos

It doesn't have to be the most elite players, but it needs to be solid, and the selection process should be designed to facilitate that.  Hell, I'd rather see it GIVEN to the boys from SEALZ and FC to put a team together than send a rag-tag pick-up team. 

--Logos

My question to you, Logos...

How can one determine who will be good and/or solid playing a game that isn't even out yet? :unsure:

Just because someone (or a team) excels at GR, doesn't mean that they will be good at GR:AW. :no:

The same would go for someone (or a team) that is good at coop, but will they also be good in this adversarial match?

We have a lot of things to consider in how we determine this team.

Lottery?

Having clans compete for the spot will leave us clanless people in quite a pickle.

I disagree. I'm not in a clan, not anymore, anyway, and this is exactly what I want. I can pull 3 - 5 old GR buddies and put together a team to compete in a tourny. I've already got the names in mind. That's not an issue. As far as those who don't even have that as an option -- you've got EACH OTHER. I guarantee if this goes the 3, 4, 5, 6--man team tourny route, there will be people in here looking to put teams together. There will be solos like us playing the game the day it's released, sizing up people to put on the team. You can make a team. You can get on a team. The sweet, young Swedish thing is going to be looking for partner. There's you start.

--Logos

Let me rephrase that. Having an all out competition for the 9 spots will leave us who are new to this community in a pickle. You may have names ready to make a team, what about those that don't? Form a team of random strangers and hope to take on experienced teams? Are we not as worthy of those spots as you?

Ofcourse if there are any other 3-year Mac GR1 veterans who recently switched to PC lurking around these forums and willing to form a team, I'd be more than happy to compete for the spots :rocky:

Besides, isn't it supposed to be about having fun. :)

Edited by joka

What does GRIN stand for???? (stop laughing at the back!)

I'm going to assume your being serious with that question.

GRIN is the Swedish Games Developer that are developing the PC version of Ghost Recon 3, aka GRAW - Ghost Recon Advanced Warrior.

www.grin.se

What does GRIN stand for???? (stop laughing at the back!)

I'm going to assume your being serious with that question.

GRIN is the Swedish Games Developer that are developing the PC version of Ghost Recon 3, aka GRAW - Ghost Recon Advanced Warrior.

www.grin.se

I think he might be under the impression that it's an abbreviation?

A young lady from Sweden joined the forums just to get in on taking GRIN down. Bo, you are in trouble now.

It's a Trap! She's a spy! beware of strangers bearing gifts...

Bo probably sent her. In order to prove her loyalty she should do something drastic, yet completely legal, moral, and ethical.

hey i might be outtaline here..but if you guys do run this game..one of ya shoud record it..would be nice to watch ;].u can have a "ref" whos only watchin the game record it so u can get different views of each player in action...sorry if i was out of line to mention this idea but im sure i dont speak fr my self when i say you guys should record it

hey i might be outtaline here..but if you guys do run this game..one of ya shoud record it..would be nice to watch ;].u can have a "ref" whos only watchin the game record it so u can get different views of each player in action...sorry if i was out of line to mention this idea but im sure i dont speak fr my self when i say you guys should record it

as far as preserving the utter chaos and destruction that would be visited upon the

GRIN team, I believe they will protest such a "recording" as it would preserve for all to see a disgraceful slaughter. The reviews of the game post mortem will include phrases such as "weeping and gnashing of teeth" as well as "notify next of kin."

when you beat a man in his own house, he can never go home again.

Rest assured I'll be watching!

I hope they have observer mode. :unsure:

A young lady from Sweden joined the forums just to get in on taking GRIN down. Bo, you are in trouble now.

It's a Trap! She's a spy! beware of strangers bearing gifts...

Bo probably sent her. In order to prove her loyalty she should do something drastic, yet completely legal, moral, and ethical.

LOL Tortfeaser, I know her, You are probably right, she's likely on the GRIN payrole as we speak..hihi ;) or what do you say Helvia?

My question to you, Logos...

How can one determine who will be good and/or solid playing a game that isn't even out yet?   :unsure:  

You can't. I didn't mean that the process should start now. I was envisioning a process that would begin AFTER the release of the game. My mistake, I suppose, for that confusion.

Just because someone (or a team) excels at GR, doesn't mean that they will be good at GR:AW. :no:

The same would go for someone (or a team) that is good at coop, but will they also be good in this adversarial match?

Agree 100%. As far as "elite" and "solid" goes, I meant elite and solid insofar as what is demonstrated after the release of the game, within whatever selection process is decided upon IF it is an ingame competition-based process. I know there's no way to make that call now.

We have a lot of things to consider in how we determine this team.

You absolutely do, and I don't envy you that process. I've been thinking about it myself, and there is no obvious route. :wall: I've basically been considering this gift from GRIN :santa: and more or less thinking out loud.

When it comes down to it, this prospect is, simply put, COOL -- cool of Tortfeaser to suggest it, incredibly cool (unbelievably, really) of GRIN to accept it, and COOL of you guys to have a GR site with the status to facilitate this. GR is my game, and this is exciting for me. I don't figure my personal chances of doing this are high, but I want whoever goes to do as well as possible against an already practiced GRIN team, and I just wanted to offer my thoughts. I am, as Rocky suggested, Mr. Competitive. :D I want US to win, even if my personal part of US is watching from the sidelines.

--Logos

Edited by Logos

Let me rephrase that. Having an all out competition for the 9 spots will leave us who are new to this community in a pickle.

I undertand you, I just don't think it's as big of a pickle as you do. I think pulling together teams from within the forums would be fun. I could put together 4 with little effort, but if I were asked to put together 6, 7, 8, 9, I would be asking the Joka's of the forum if they wanted to team up. If you played together for a while, it would no longer be a team of random strangers. I actually see that process as an interesting opportunity to game with the members of this forum, oddly enough the exact motivation for Tortfeaser to suggest this match in the first place. Who knows, we might even make new friends. :)

Are we not as worthy of those spots as you?

Woah, I wouldn't suggest anything of the kind. None of my suggestions are about me, and I'll be happy for whoever goes. I'm thrilled that it's even happening. My suggestions were only about making the best team.

Besides, isn't it supposed to be about having fun.  :)

I'm already having fun. This roxors. :D

Edited by Logos

I undertand you, I just don't think it's as big of a pickle as you do.  I think pulling together teams from within the forums would be fun.  I could put together 4 with little effort, but if I were asked to put together 6, 7, 8, 9, I would be asking the Joka's of the forum if they wanted to team up.  If you played together for a while, it would no longer be a team of random strangers.  I actually see that process as an interesting opportunity to game with the members of this forum, oddly enough the exact motivation for Tortfeaser to suggest this match in the first place.  Who knows, we might even make new friends. :)

I wrote a long list of reasons to counter your arguments, and then it hit me. You've got a point there, and I agree. I'm just worried that the experienced clans will sign up as such and wipe the rest of us out. But then again, maybe the best team deserves to play. :)

I sense a battle of epic proportions coming up :starwars: