Obsidian Edge Full Release

ruggbutt

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had talked to TCZ and set up a ladder there, and last night I was approached by someone from TWL to set up another ladder. So we're hopeful of some good competition support for the game.

We are very dedicated to rejuvinating the tactical FPS competitive environment. We played POWCamp last night with 21 people in the server and it was like a flashback...but with better graphics...lol

Edited by Soroc

Im starting to question my motives of why i work on this mod.

I think its safe to say Im enjoying seeing the weapons i work on with higher polys looking super sweet in first person.

Trying to find ways of getting my models made quicker mapped faster and texturing better. Hopefully ill be slamming cool stuff out more and faster.

oh the gameplay is one aspect of why too :rofl:

Edited by Prozac360

• 2 weeks later...

He has to make 2 models of each weapon. A low poly for what the player sees the other players holding, and a high poly for first person view. PZ textures the whole gun in FPS view, even though you don't see the right side of the gun. He could probably save a bunch of time doing so, but he's kinda anal like that.

And his texturing takes a while cuz they look so sierra hotel when he's done. He's one of the more talented modelers out there.

He has to make 2 models of each weapon.  A low poly for what the player sees the other players holding, and a high poly for first person view.  PZ textures the whole gun in FPS view, even though you don't see the right side of the gun.  He could probably save a bunch of time doing so, but he's kinda anal like that.

And his texturing takes a while cuz they look so sierra hotel when he's done.  He's one of the more talented modelers out there.

I understand that he's making two models.

And I know very well how long it takes to make a high quality model. I've talked with people who have modeled and textured professionally. The whole weapon should be textured for FPWV, additionally.

Prozac: Alright. 'My experience is that a low poly model shouldn't take more than a few hours, though. Never more than a day.

And by 'low poly' I mean 2000-3000. Videogame high poly.

Im not working for EA theres no reason to be slave driven.

In professional work, you're always on tight deadlines.

If you even consider getting a job in the industry later on, efficiency is a good thing to learn.

snared_gambit: I've never been saying Prozac's doing anything wrong. The original question, though, was 'How long does it take to make something like that?', and Prozac works at an unusual pace.

If you even consider getting a job in the industry later on, efficiency is a good thing to learn.

good thing im not planning on to do that.

this is my hobby, If I work for some big corporation it wont be as much fun as as i have modding.

nuff said

Edited by Prozac360

Let me explain in full as I dont think any one really understands.

The models iv worked on for OE, did not literally take 2 weeks to make.

I maybe worked on them once or twice a week, some times more and usually not much more then an hour or 2 hours per day.

I never time myself to see the exact amount of time i spend on models/ textures. When in reality its probly closer to a day or two.

work hours 9-6 :rocky:

Edited by Prozac360

Im not working for EA theres no reason to be slave driven.  :rofl:

Amen.

Kick back, and have fun at it. set your own schedule.

I used to love working on computers. Anything I could get my hands on. Networking, OS's, you name it.

Then I went into it professionally. And while still fun, having to work at it takes so much of the fun away from it. You find yourself not wantig to do it for fun anymore because you get enough of it at work. 8-12 hours and beyond of fun a day is usually enough for anyone to stomach.

And while I still love working on computers, in my off time, I find that I rarely even want to talk about them.

Now think where'd we be if all of our modders ended up that way. :whistle: