Mission HX

harntrox

nme's are moved away only at startup, to create the feel of a mission. the initial point of contact is up to you. this is what makes it not a firefight - there is a definite 'front' you move behind the 100m 'line in the sand' and your behind enemy lines. the enemies do not spawn or teleport at any time during the mission, only at startup.

if you are drawing in the enemies into your spawn from 100m away, its time for a new approach ... :) this usually takes a few minutes but does depend on the map. you are invinc for 5 seconds when you respawn.

re: teleport into buildings/portal whiteout

what map is that? i haven't seen that since i made it use null-actor positions and not zones for the respawn tele.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Harntrox, came across a claymore and I moved Boom. so cool.

27 player coop, does that mean that extra platoons are opened up? I'm a big fan of GR and love the AI backup games. I've been wanting to get two AI backup teams, each controlled by one player each, that would be awesome. Is that possible with this mod?

that is exactly the idea of Mission HX 27 player coop

select AI backup.

put one player on each of the 3 blue platoons.

make an empty red platoon.

[X] ready.

in the game you will see a leaderboard packed with 27 soldiers, each of you will be alone on a platoon and in command of 8 AI guys. fun to play Mission HX TvT this way too !

re: demo count

be aware the GR will not count the demo charges on platoons 2-3. you can still complete the objectives with demo from any platoon, and you can always disarm a claymore. it just wont count demo charges beyond the 1st platoon , and may complain you are out prematurely.

i have noticed: exactly half the servers are running at wrong priority on ASE.

remember, highest priority is last in mod list, *not first*.  GR is 'bass-ackwards' this way

Well I've been playing this game since it was released and never knew that, I always wondered why increasing priority sent it down the list, cheers mate.

So THAT'S why Standard Upgrade does nothing for you... ;)

that is exactly the idea of Mission HX 27 player coop

That's some great stuff harntrox. A very cool mod, I've been wanting to try that for a long time and it's a lot of fun.

It would be awesome to try HX 27 on the HX5 maps with HX kits. For the AI backup, can you help with which kit number gets you the kit that you're looking for from the kit restriction files?

This is an awesome mod. It makes the game all new, every time. I have played it on a number of maps using different weapons mods... suffice to say it is the most difficult GR mod ever made, and returns the game to its conceptual roots. You really have to operate in stealth mode to have a hope in hell of completing any mission in this mode. You cannot predict where the enemy may be, but you can predict the enemy AI has been juiced to extreme deadliness. Try and survive. Hint: bring SD weapons, and a lot a patience...

oh yeah, desist from killing everything in sight. hit and run. and run. maybe you'll get lucky.

Edited by backshooter

• 7 months later...

love this mod, being playing it almost exclusively since downloading it, but....

###### claymores and numbnuts AI! Is there any way to remove/disable claymores for single player or get AI players to freeze when they are tripped? My hunch is that the answer to this question is "no", but I have to ask. While I like challenging gameplay, I HATE babysitting AI teammates.

Harntrox, don't take this as a criticism of your, which roxorz my boxorz consistently; my beef is with the short-bus antics of the GR friendly AI.

*** Frag with an i is a curse word?! WT*? ***

Edited by mob

• 1 month later...

Hello harntrox, uh herm..I'm a big fan of the mods you've put out, Mission HX being the best GR mod next to HX5 that I've played, great replayability.

I've found that you seem to have a good grasp on how the gaming industry works and want to thank you for your dedication to that, and the unimaginable amount of time/effort/pain, and love that you've put into your mods.

I am a huge fan of GR an and hold no illusions that GRAW will be much more than an add on of GR 2 (which I actually went out and got an xbox for.... You can imagine my horror and realisation of my utter naievity.)

Tactical sims are where it's at for me. :o=

Can I ask what games you are playing?

What are you involved in, are you actively modding any games?

I know GRAW is a scherade, are you moving on from GR?

The community would be a lot different than what it is,if HX5 and the the other HX mods hadn't been there, it's hard to gauge what yours, and the other great modders', impact on the community has been.

Can you tell me where you see yourself dedicating your attention in the future?

I watch G4TV and there seems to be so many 'pretty' cartoon-like games out, nothing with gritty realism or substance, all graphics and mindless FPS's.

Thanks harntrox, mission hx really brought GR alive again for me. The mod is huge for 2 mb, random gameplay..The total reliance on tactics, and elimination of memorization, that's where it's at...random gameplay.

It really brings players together into actual cooperation..1) See the objective. 2) Head out as a unit to work as a team.

a group of 3 players working together is 4 times as powerful as 3 individual soldiers.

in regularly scripted missions, each player seems to have their own idea on how to complete the mission, even if a Team Leader is decided upon, the inclination to "do your own thing" is so great that cohesive teamwork is much too difficult.

Do you think it would be possible to incorporate something like mission hx's awesome replayability in the games coming out into today's market?

Any response that you have time for will be greatly appreciated.

MarkAm_i

• 9 months later...

Hi all - I have a question about getting this mod working on TvT

I've played it myself (SP) and simply love it. Thanks to Harntrox, replayability and intensity has been brought to the table for a long time.

Here's my problem - running a server amongst friends on the internet - guys are being kicked/disconnected right after the mission starts. I tried to make sure that everyone backed out all mods except DS and IT and of course HX mission. It was understood that the HX mod needed to be highest priority amongst all who were trying to play - but for some reason 2 random guys would be booted.

For clarification's sake, we have 2 guys defending, and 3 guys setup to complete the mish's. Team 1 was blue, Team 2 was red.

Any thoughts? We're all using v1.4 Thanks -

Hi all - I have a question about getting this mod working on TvT

I've played it myself (SP) and simply love it. Thanks to Harntrox, replayability and intensity has been brought to the table for a long time.

Here's my problem - running a server amongst friends on the internet - guys are being kicked/disconnected right after the mission starts. I tried to make sure that everyone backed out all mods except DS and IT and of course HX mission. It was understood that the HX mod needed to be highest priority amongst all who were trying to play - but for some reason 2 random guys would be booted.

For clarification's sake, we have 2 guys defending, and 3 guys setup to complete the mish's. Team 1 was blue, Team 2 was red.

Any thoughts? We're all using v1.4 Thanks -

Hi Tangle,

It must be a mod issue, or even a low connection maybe?

9MS Played them many times, and never had these issues at all. Out of curiousity, reading the mile long scripts, there`s no issues there.

Make sure you all:

Have the same Download

Have the mod as highest priority

Hope you figure it out.

Tinker

<_<

"but for some reason 2 random guys would be booted."

Random guys, really seems to be connection problem.

:)

Yeah... I wonder. After another trial run (to try and iron out any user error) - some more symptoms:

-sometimes the initial post of team ID's (e.g. HXmission posts Red Team has 3 players, Blue team has 3 players) only 1 team (blue or red) or no teams (the game will end after that). Sometimes it ran fine. Coop worked without problems - it just seemed to be the TvT.

Anyway, thanks all for the help. I'll keep trying to see what the problem may be. My assumption is that it's on our end.

Before I talk about some of the bugs I've found, I just want to say I love this mod! It makes playing Ghost Recon so much more intense and fun.

OK, so on to the bugs. On almost all of the urban maps, there are some glaring problems that pop up very frequently that make playing the missions impossible. For example a invisible and invincible enemy would spawn in the street or inside buildings randomly and kill my squadmates. These guys can shoot my guys through buildings across the entire map and slowly kill my entire squad. Very frustrating. Then there are the enemies that spawn that are harmless and invisible, and only cause my squadmates to unload all their ammunition on walls, barrels, and the ground.

The reason why I am complaining about this so much is that when the city maps work correctly, they are by far the most fun to play. I don't know if there is a way to fix this problem and if not, oh well, I STILL LOVE THIS MOD!

• 1 year later...

Hello harntrox, if I had to pick, Mission HX would be my favorite GR mod.

Firefights and scripted missions are just not the same anymore. For coop, MHX seems to offer what GR was when every player began playing. Each of us is inserted into enemy territory, not knowing what to expect. The position of enemy forces and strengths are unclear to us. We rely upon our awareness, stealth, and weapon proficiency.

We are required to learn a whole new way of gameplay. The crutch of reliance-upon-memory can be cast into the fire. We are alone with squad mates, many tactical potentialities lie before us, will we survive the test? Can we complete the objectives while keeping our Platoon alive?

It has a depth in the possibility of tactical development that is unrivaled in Cooperative missions.

The grounds for the increase of tactical awareness/flexibility that are inherent in the random structure (coming a quantum leap forward in the realism of an already great tactical sim.), and the encouragement of teamwork that is within it are what make MHX a simple, yet great mod.

For example, in scripted missions every player is familiar with each mission in their own way, depending upon what they remember. So that each is looking forward at what they believe should be done first. Then everyone is ready to run off in their own individual direction to complete the objective they are focused on.

With MHX, everyone can head to a single objective at a time, they don't know what to expect, and when they choose to cooperate on objective completion & survival they find success. It has within it's structure the encouragement of 'tactical cooperation'. Completely unique as far as I know.

And to be able to apply this to almost every map ever modded for GR, unbelievable replayability.

I just want to express my appreciation for your excellent work. In my opinion, MHX is the penultimate of GR modifications. I have been reading the Ghost Recon manual recently and have went back to single player gameplay using MHX of course. In so doing I got a good look at what they were creating back in 2001 and a fresh perspective on the creative force behind their game concept and development.

As I looked at what the game started out as being and how it was and still is, I see that Mission HX is the product of a line of great ideas and the birth of something new. The open ended gameplay offered in MHX coupled with the tactical possibilities of Ghost Recon combine to make what future squad based tactical shooters should aspire to.

Thanks for making a great game greater. :thumbsup:

MarkAm_i