If GR2 does suck, what will we play?

Sup

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the truth is, RSE is the developer, whereas UBI is the publisher. UBI can't develop games like they used to. With all this bad publicity surrounding GR2, RSE is heading to the same tragic end.

I can't help but think the priginal GR team who developed GR are still there. I mean GR came out 2000/2001. So three or 4 years ago. People move on. By all appearances, these folks have too.

I'll still continue with GR. I can't blame GR for GR2's lameness. But I'll still look to [OFP: DR] this fall/winter time. Seems like the best bet. :whistle:

:ph34r: I did try AA, and got bored, but most of my friends are on AA now. So i guess i will continue with GR1.

The main point is that I don't care, if the next age of kings hooks me, or pro evolution soccer goes online, it will surely become my next passion, and I will simply stop FPS until the next big bang one...

I never really understood this betrayel thing, as if ubi or red storm owes us something. Sorry, they don't. Its their call to either listen or ignore the userbase. Its your call to either buy it or not. End of story. Some people seem to have a bit of unrealistic expectations at times, this in general speaking tho. I'm not trying to start a flame war.

If I end up not liking Ghost Recon 2, I will continue playing Ghost Recon and I recently got my hands on Sums of All Fears which, although brief, I enjoyed very much. I've restarted the campagne but now with the bloodmod installed. Makes for a whole new experience. I also got into a habit in shootcheck if he's really dead just to see another wisp of blood spraying out. :devil:

Other games I'm waiting for are Doom III, Half Life 2, Pacific Fighters (finaly, carriers!). Games I want to buy but lack funds, Silent Hill III (old konami fan) and XIII (comic book fan). I know XIII hasn't been received well, but its something different and fresh. I hope they'll learn from this experience and come with a sequal to do better. Strongly doubt this will happen, but hey one can hope.

I still have plenty games to play through. Other games I still play are lomac, Il2 and nascar (you gotta try that OWR mod! Its a blast!). Replaying hitman atm.

Whatever you all are idiots then.

Sorry but if you sell 500k copies of a video game you can eat and live for the rest of your life without doing another ###### thing.

Im happy living in a middle classed home, having money to feed myself into obesity if I wanted and own a car and relish in moderate hobbies.

They dont care about that and want to soak in millions while owning 5 cars and rake in 1 million + a year each. Whatever I wont contribute to it. I want to see a game developer show love for his/her product and improve on it. If they get rich good for them(Which GR made them). If they dont become the next billionares developing on the PC oh well at least they made a living.

Screw em.

You mean accidently douse them with gasoline on the store shelves and make for it after throwin zippo lighter in the fray? Im for it.

We can use convoy ambush tactics learned in GR to suppress the delivery trucks also.

Or just blow up the manufacturing plant.

Or mp5/sd the dev team. That would probably be best.

I never really understood this betrayel thing, as if ubi or red storm owes us something. Sorry, they don't. Its their call to either listen or ignore the userbase. Its your call to either buy it or not. End of story. Some people seem to have a bit of unrealistic expectations at times, this in general speaking tho. I'm not trying to start a flame war.

To me that was very well said. Yes i'm dissapointed in what GR2 seems to be at the moment, but i will not judge it( anymore of what i've already done) until i have played it.

I think the thing that is most misunderstood here is that whining isn't going to make GR2 the way you want it.

*runs away hoping not to be hunt down*

'[3.2] Personal attacks : Any posts containing personal or racist attacks will be edited or deleted and the originating account risks banning. '

'[2.2] Try and stay on-topic within a thread, start a new thread if you move onto a new topic. Excessive off-topic discussion within a topical thread will be removed if it detracts from the discussion.'

Also, please stop dragging my thread off in to a discussion of arson, murder, and armed assault.

PS: Why is there no 'discussion of illegal activities' rule?

I've already switch GR for JO so I'll probely swith GR2 for eeeeh... JO2. ;)

Seriously speaking, I'm pretty sure GR2 will blow but weather the MP will be enjoyable or not, I'll have to wait and see. Maybe its not gone be the tactical gamestyle that I relly enjoyed in GR, but it'll might still be fun to play. JO isn't actually tactical either. :rolleyes: There are also other games I'm waiting for, top of that list is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. However, the official word is that coop won't make the full release but maybe be released later as a addon or in a expansion pack. Nevertheless, it was the SP part of the game I was more looking forward to but if coop will be released, I can't say I'll be sad. :D I might also check out the H&D2 addon/expansion when that will be released (coop included).

Well I just came home with Chrome, tho I was intended to buy XIII but this one was recommended (I was in doubt even whether I would actualy wanted to buy XIII).

It reads on the box that it is a tactical shooter. Ehm. I'm still trying to discover where this tactical part actually fits in. It seems to be just like many of the FPS games I've played. It looks nice tho, and plays smooth even on my system. Not that I don't enjoy this game, but its of course a highly unrealistic sci-fi shoot 'm up. Vehicles look great tho, but they're horrible to drive :lol:

Which comes to the point, when exactly becomes a shooter a tactical shooter and when is it actually just a shooter. I mean if they say: don't run up and shoot enemies up close, its a tactical shooter so dealing with more than 1 enemy can kill you quickly, shoot them from a distance, is that actually a valid reason to call your game 'tactical'?

And ehm, since i just patched the game I'll be replaying the first mission again. Until later

If I end up not liking Ghost Recon 2, I will continue playing Ghost Recon and I recently got my hands on Sums of All Fears which, although brief, I enjoyed very much. I've restarted the campagne but now with the bloodmod installed. Makes for a whole new experience. I also got into a habit in shootcheck if he's really dead just to see another wisp of blood spraying out. :devil:

Other games I'm waiting for are Doom III, Half Life 2, Pacific Fighters (finaly, carriers!). Games I want to buy but lack funds, Silent Hill III (old konami fan) and XIII (comic book fan). I know XIII hasn't been received well, but its something different and fresh. I hope they'll learn from this experience and come with a sequal to do better. Strongly doubt this will happen, but hey one can hope.

I still have plenty games to play through. Other games I still play are lomac, Il2 and nascar (you gotta try that OWR mod! Its a blast!). Replaying hitman atm.

I disagree. I think that Red Storm needs to remember their roots. I'm sure you've read the Dev quote, which stated that GR2 was designed, ground up, as a console game. IMO, Red Storm and Ubi have done a great disservice to us for two reasons.

#1 - There isn't even a confirmed PC version, of which I'm aware. Everything has been about that damnable X-Box.

#2 - If there is a PC version, it's going to be a port of a game made for the console. Have you ever played a console port that was of the quality of a PC game? I haven't. Thus far, every single shred of evidence I have seen suggests that GR2 will not be of the calibre of GR1. If you, the devs, or anyone else disagrees, then prove me wrong. But my money is on GR2 being a waste of time. I won't waste $50 on a game, only to find out that it's rubbish.

Parabellum: ubi soft need to make money, that's what their roots are. In making money in the game business. If consoles sell more games then pc's they will cut in their own finger if they focus on the wrong market.

There will be a PC version, whether it will be good is another question. Again, its up to you whether you want to buy it or not. For Ubi its not the segment in the market that will bring them enough. That are the numbers and facts they believe in. The pc gamers in sales is a small number compared to the consoles, so its not so strange that this group becomes a lower priority.

I have played games with a console background yes. Several in fact. The latest I remember, which was in fact a good game is Splinter Cell. Other games I remember are Grandia 2 and Shadows of Memory. Even FF8 made it to the PC, tho I played the console version.

I say it again, its a bit unrealistic to expect from Ubi to give priority to a group that is the smaller part of the market, its about making profit. Again, its up to us to either buy it or leave it. Ubi doesn't owe us a thing.

GR 2 will feature you playing through 1 character controlling a squad of 3, CC FTF will feature you playing as 1 character controlling a squad of 3, BIA will feature you playing as 1 character controlling 2 squads of 3. No player switching. Do you see a pattern here, do the games look similar.

Everyone says GR 2 will be crap even though they have not seen even a screen, no one is saying BIA and CC will be crap. In fact, the people who say GR 2 will be crap say that they will buy BIA and CC. Why won't they be crap?

I think all 3 games will be very good tactical shooters with a lot of potential for tactical play, depending on the programming of the AI. Any time you can move squads around a map tactically and move independent of them to flank and snipe, you have great potential for open ended tactics. All of these games offer that.

I like the character switching in GR, but that is going by the wayside in favor of squad control. If the AI is sufficiently improved, then this type of squad control will be very good.

MP play will be great especially in coop with the new maps and new effects that can be modded. Given the alternatives, these are the games that will be the ones to watch for.

Edited by Kurtz