The Mosque

OSO

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new pics look great El Oso. Those palm trees are very nice.

If you want to modernize it a bit, put some loudspeakers on those towers, and I also noticed that from early evening on the parapets had green vertical strips of light on them. Every mosque I saw had this. I asked about it and I was told green holds special significance in Islam. I can give you a better description of those lights if you want one.

Any chance you could get me a close up shot of the lights you're using (they look like small white lights from these pics)? I'm currently trying to get light ideas for a stone structure I'm working on and would like to see how you've done it if you don't mind.

Just a suggestion, but you can increase the "mosque-iness" by adding a big crescent moon on the dome. I believe that's a traditional rather than religious symbol.

The prayer hall of a mosque always faces Mecca, sooo... since this mosque faces sort of west... *grabs a world map*... I'm guessing this map is in..... Afghanistan! :lol:

Edited by The Worm

The new pics look great El Oso. Those palm trees are very nice.

If you want to modernize it a bit, put some loudspeakers on those towers, and I also noticed that from early evening on the parapets had green vertical strips of light on them. Every mosque I saw had this. I asked about it and I was told green holds special significance in Islam. I can give you a better description of those lights if you want one.

Any chance you could get me a close up shot of the lights you're using (they look like small white lights from these pics)? I'm currently trying to get light ideas for a stone structure I'm working on and would like to see how you've done it if you don't mind.

Sleeper made the palm trees for me when I was working on the WOI Afrika maps. All the credit goes to him for the models.

Could you be more specific about these loudspeakers or rather the "towers". Do you mean those majestic poles with the blue caps? I would like to know more about these lights you are refering to on the parapets. Images would work the best here.

What version of max are you using? I have the lights in a separate max file version 5.1 and would be happy to send you a copy to preview first hand. Send me a PM or an email and I'll get them to you.

Just a suggestion, but you can increase the "mosque-iness" by adding a big crescent moon on the dome. I believe that's a traditional rather than religious symbol.

The prayer hall of a mosque always faces Mecca, sooo... since this mosque faces sort of west... *grabs a world map*... I'm guessing this map is in..... Afghanistan! :lol:

You mean the Afghani flag didn't give it away? :P

Do you have an image of this crescent moon that adorns the dome?

Also if anyone has images of the inside of a mosque, I would appreciate those as well. I was having troubles unwrapping a texture on the dome without severe stretching problems and that's why they're bland for the most part. I even tried adding a polar coordinates filter to an image in photoshop but still wasn't happy with the end result.

Awsome, now it's really starting to look very professional, the buisness man :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lots of mats on the floor, mosques have lots of prayer maps. and somewhere to put your sandles/boots, i believe they consider it rude to where shoes in a mosque.

The only thing different that I would use as opposed to the boolean is use the extruded spline as a tracing tool and cut the mesh by hand with the cut tool with vertex snaps turned on.

Yeah thats what I do, its very very good, perfection for models, if you check the AT TE thats how I did the rear gun turrets. :thumbsup:

Lovly map Oso all round godness as usual.

@Worm Great sig! :rofl:

Hmm... I just decided to have a look at some pics of Mosques on Google and I'm finding two general styles of Mosques.

This kind, which seems to be for larger Mosques and is also the style you're emulating.

And this kind, which is the kind I saw most in villages and cities. If you look closely you'll see the loudspeakers on that tower and even one in the window.

So, I guess disregard what I had to say, since I was basing my thoughts on a different style of Mosque. :)

Roads are easy if you use a spline

using 2d spline

1.draw out your road as a single line. squiggly, organic curvy lookin etc

2.outline it. use large numbers. then you got a nice wide, even road that isnt jagged or square

3. its been a while but i think i used shape merge into the terrain. if that want it it was a function to cut out a spline from polys -- i fergit :-\

4. now follow the steps that deleyt put up about doing the boolean :thumbsup:

also you might want to smooth /optimize after boolean cutout to get the road texturing completely under control

Edited by harntrox

Quote:

You mean the Afghani flag didn't give it away? :lol:

Doh! *slaps forhead* :stupid:

H-hour has a nice crescent moon in one of his pictures.

As for the towers, traditionally, some guy would climb up to the top of the tower 5 times a day, and yell out at the top of his lungs ie prayer call. Tells people when it's time to pray. I suppose there's a ladder on the inside... So they're kinda thicker han "poles".

These days, they use loudspeakers, and the crescent moon has lightning rods... :D

Oh, and on the lights... although green is some sort of special colour, I believe the lights are just decorative. Also might prevent accidents with small aircraft. :lol:

Edited by The Worm

what can I say? I've got alot to learn... :notworthy: Good to see your works EL_OSO. BTW have you heard from Javaman lately? geez I'm concerned.

Javaman went offline a few weeks ago. I don't know all the details of his disappearance, but he did say he would be back.

These days, they use loudspeakers, and the crescent moon has lightning rods... :D

Oh, and on the lights... although green is some sort of special colour, I believe the lights are just decorative. Also might prevent accidents with small aircraft. :lol:

Okay, I think the Crescent moon and loudspeakers are feasible.

Where do the green lights go and which direction do they point?

Do they shine on the dome?

I'm not sure where to put them or how to aim them at this point. If someone can clue me in with an image or a detailed description I'll add them.

I just love good looking new maps. How soon will this be released?

The map is 90% done. I can't comment on the progress of the rest of the mod since I'm not involved with that part.

Like always looking very good El_Oso :thumbsup:

I hope to a night version of it too :unsure:

Thank you Zeko.

I plan on 3 lighting schemes for the map. I'm not sure about this current one, but I plan to have a midday, dawn/dusk, and a night version.

Again, OSO, the style you're doing is different then what I saw in Palestine and Jordan. I went looking a bit on Google for some night pics of mosques and they're all the big style. This isn't the lighting as I saw it, but here's some examples you can look at:

You mean the Afghani flag didn't give it away?

Doh! *slaps forhead*

Dont worry i thought it was the Iraqi flag :blink:

As for the green lights, maybe they can be done as spotlights are done in the PDF file, just dont have them moving and change the colour from white to green using the R/G/B colour numbers.