SNIPER

werewolf

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats more cowardly....Sitting in a 5-10 ton tank, miles behind friendly lines....or being out, a mile into enemy terrain, with nothin but a backup pistol, your sniper rifle, and your spotter...lookin for a specific target. I'm not sayin being a tank operator isnt gutsy, but I just think snipers are way more brave \ skilled than some peeps that operate tanks...but just in different ways I guess.... :)

try a little more than 5-10 tons...more towards between 61.4 and 69.5 tons. Yep snipers have a lot of guts.

Edited by Kewl

actually Navy corpsmen are the most gutsyiest...try only your K-pot, your flak vest, a 9mm sidearm and rushing to where Marines done ###### off someone firing back at them. Medics, imo, rank up there with FOs for Arty units (who else puts themselves downrange of friendly arty fire to direct it..transpose a number? Ooops! There goes Johnson! Medic! ).

Whats more cowardly....

now now...dont start things up. That phrase could be considered uncalled for by some...

:nono:

Sniping in GR should be more realistic. You should have to account for bullet-drop and have slight skaking when attempting to aim after a run. Ideally a sniper should set up his tri-pod, gauge the distance to target using a laser, adjust trhe scope for that distance, aim, fire, evac, re-adjust scope for standard distance(approx. 250 feet) and repeat.

Having this would cut down on online snipers to a reasonable number yet still keep snipers deadly for those who choose this path.

Sniping in GR should be more realistic. You should have to account for bullet-drop and have slight skaking when attempting to aim after a run. Ideally a sniper should set up his tri-pod, gauge the distance to target using a laser, adjust trhe scope for that distance, aim, fire, evac, re-adjust scope for standard distance(approx. 250 feet) and repeat.

Having this would cut down on online snipers to a reasonable number yet still keep snipers deadly for those who choose this path.

GR2??? :o:blink:;)

• 1 month later...

Snipers are good in the right (GR) roles: -

1) Forward recon.

2) Eliminating a clearly defined target.

3) Providing a rear-guard so that a path can be kept clear to extraction.

Snipers are not so good: -

1) In all-out firefights - though any dead Tango is a good Tango !

However, snipers are amongst some of the bravest and most skillful Warriors we have in the real world today - all hail to thee !

Named rant may make very much sense in other games, but far from it in Ghost Recon. As stated above, snipers can be very useful in Single Player missions. In Multiplayer Games, however, they do nothing even near lay waste to enemy troops.. what they do, is lie scattered around, scoping about with an extremely limited view... enough said, they're target practice!

IMHO sniping is way too easy in GR. As was stated before, there is no need to account for bullet drop, nerves, wind or any of the other factors that come into play for the real thing. :(

There is a mod, Enemy Realism, or something like that, that makes sniping a bit more realistic. The reticle is slower to recover after each shot which, I guess, is a way to simulate the time needed to set up for a second shot. I used that mod to replay the original missions. The reticle resets so slowly that it brings real meaning to "one shot, one kill." It keeps the sniper from being able to ice an entire squad of baddies without receiving any return fire.

The problem with snipers in GR isn't that they are unrealistic or over-advantaged, it's that they are uncalled for in most GR scenarios, even with fogless maps. Rapid movement and engagement distances under 400 meters don't require a dedicated sniper; a rifleman with a scoped M-14 and good cammo will suffice.

IMHO sniping is way too easy in GR. As was stated before, there is no need to account for bullet drop, nerves, wind or any of the other factors that come into play for the real thing. :(

There is a mod, Enemy Realism, or something like that, that makes sniping a bit more realistic. The reticle is slower to recover after each shot which, I guess, is a way to simulate the time needed to set up for a second shot. I used that mod to replay the original missions. The reticle resets so slowly that it brings real meaning to "one shot, one kill." It keeps the sniper from being able to ice an entire squad of baddies without receiving any return fire.

Agreed! I wish Ghost Recon featured bullet drop. I've been missing it. Sniping in Ghost Recon is way too easy, in my and many others opinion. This does not make sniping effective, though.

I have to admit that at first, a few days ago already, I started playing the game with a sniper as my main toy of pain. When I went online, the first few sessions I indeed picked again the sniper. Tho I soon found out that it wasn't really practical for me (you need to shoot, hit and move again, if you miss you're dead, too often I was reloading and AARRGGGHH). So I went from sniper to the support role and I seem to like that a lot better.

I have to admit that at first, a few days ago already, I started playing the game with a sniper as my main toy of pain. When I went online, the first few sessions I indeed picked again the sniper. Tho I soon found out that it wasn't really practical for me (you need to shoot, hit and move again, if you miss you're dead, too often I was reloading and AARRGGGHH). So I went from sniper to the support role and I seem to like that a lot better.

Eeeeeh, support, eh? I'd advice you to pick a Rifleman or a Demolitions Expert.

I don't know too much about RL snipers. But I think the cool cold lone sniper only belongs to movies. US snipers work in pair. A "chief" with binoculars to acquire the target and the sniper to "just" shoot. (in movies my fav sniper char is the bad guy of "beyond enemy lines", yes, i know, I’m weird :rofl: )

In GR (mp), snipers are different than in RL, as normal rifleman are! Los (line of sight) recoil, ballistics are quite far from reality. BUT it simulates what counts quite well. Sure GR does not allow long range sniping (half mile), as maps are way too little.

There are different styles of sniping in GR mp.

- tactical / stealth sniping: you know a spot you can reach safely where no one think you can shoot from there. Quite good, but you *need* to know the spots. And most snipers like me or [sG]west won't tell those easily :whistle: If the enemy does not understand, you are on for a genocide.

- "usual" sniping: you lie down somewhere not too much exposed (near a wall or a random bush) and cover some angle with maximum los, and you wait for the duck. Not efficient at all in GR, even if the most popular. I call that the newbie sniping. Works well on maps like red square.

- My favorite, the “counter-sniping” or short distance sniping, I do that on mbc or pooling center. Basically, the aim is to be as precise as possible, it is to get that toenail. You need to have perfect cover, and shoot when standing or peeping. You need to minimize you exposure time. Best rifle for that is kit 1, as it is precise when you stand crouch, kills goods, and remains precise when you peep or scroll the neighborhood.

I’m not a sniper, I’m a rusher, SA80 fan (p90sd with hx5). But sometime I need to cool down or want some “technical” kills. I get lest kills being sniper, and get pwned more often… But the is no “free” kill, I savor each one, like a 3 pointer in basketball ;)

Eeeeeh, support, eh? I'd advice you to pick a Rifleman or a Demolitions Expert.

:huh:

And why is that? Please keep in mind I don't play this game for a long time nor do I have a favorit kit or weapon yet. they all make noise and seem to hurt the opponents.

:blink:

A rifleman or demo expert provides more action, more whoopee-doo - more fun !

We have to suspend disbelief somewhere and GR is, after all, a simulation and all simulations must bend reality a bit to work.

But yeah, yahoo - nuke em' until they glow then let your snipers shoot 'em in the darkl !

:lol:

Well more fun is good, but i'll give both rifleman and demo a go and see what i like better.

Though seeing how GR takes place in the future we haven't really build anything extra ordinair then. Remember, GR is realistic, so this is how war is fared in a few years!

not :rofl:

Kidding aside, realism is a tricky thing to get right in a game. For one realism is not having the ability to save, but then you can still restart the game (and wow wars would go on forever if they could restart whenever the odds are not in their favor). I have problems with games that have limited saving. Often turns so frustrating that I quit playing them. I mean, you only want to go through a mine field so many times ...

:wacko:

• 2 months later...
,Apr 9 2004, 12:05 ] I actually find Ghost Recon's multiplayer gameplay to be completely flawed. You can choose any kit without any penalty, this is not necessarily a problem, but when you have overbalanced little things like the M4 SOCOM, OICW, and SA80, things become lame and boring quite quickly. I also have a distaste for snipers  as well.

No need for name calling...

[3.2] Personal attacks : Any posts containing personal or racist attacks will be edited or deleted and the originating account risks banning.

Edited by Sartillies