Winning by taking the long way.

G-Man

Hi everybody,

OK. This is the deal. I'm playing a mission in GR (mission 4 in the campaing I believe) where you need to back up some UN soldiers under heavy fire.

Well, I cross the bridge taking out the tangos at the beginning and end of the bridge, take out more foes, and then when I tried to follow the road towards the house where the UN forces are, all of the sudden the game told me I had failed the mission because all the UN soldiers were dead.

I repeated this several times and it always told me they UN soliders had been killed, end of mission.

So the I went to the GR.net forum, read that instead of walking along the road I should go aroung some bir rocks to then go to the back of the house where the UN soldiers were.

I followed these instructions and indeed I got to where the UN soldiers were, I took several tangos with a granade launcher, and then I proceeded to secure the area.

My question is: Why the engine decided that the UN soldiers would die whenever I walked along the road and the UN soldiers did NOT die when I took the longest path walking aroung some big stones and eventually made it to the house to protect the UN soldiers.

If the UN soliders were about today due to the heavy firing, so why they weren't killed when I took the longer route to get to the house?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Best,

G-Man.

I remember the mission. Very cool.

About your post: Maybe when you walk straight toward the UN's the enemies see you coming and kill the UN's before you can help them.

I remember they (the UN's) where pretty good hidden in the buidling, only the team who suppose to take them out is a threat. If you can stop them, the mission is as good as complete.

;)

San,

That certainly makes a lot of sense!

I was able to finish the mission (despite of the fact that for some reason the game was crashing when I exchanged heavy fire - soundboard problems perhaps? ).

It just got me thinking how come a head-on confrontation got the UN soldiers killed and not when I approached from behind the building where the UN soldiers were. Because the enemy was indeed firing at the UN soldiers all the time, but not so intensibly.

So you might be right, a head-on confrontation perhaps prompted the russians to lauch a massive attack on the UN soldiers.

An intersting point I will remember for future single-player missions. I still haven't even tried DS or IT yet! I do have them, but first I want to finish GR in Elite level.

Thanks again San.

Best,

G-Man.

but first I want to finish GR in Elite level

That's the way I also did it. hehe.

I started with recruit then veteran and elite.

In DS I only did recruit first and then elite, because the difference between veteran and elite wasn't much.

In IT I started on elite right away. It took some time tho, to get all mission done.

After that it's time to take a step to multiplaying. It's even tougher than SP-elite, but with human-teamplayers it's much more fun.

Good luck with GR-missions first :D

i never fully understood the concept of this mission. especially all that racket you hear off in the distance -- what ... the russians doin some practice shooting?!

i approach this like i do the red sq where u got allies pinned down and u dont want em dead -- in short, overwhelming fire from multiple directions.

i got my sniper setup on the hump just before you get to see everything on the right side (therell be dudes just over this hump so its a good idea to off em with a guy on the other side before creepin in the sniper ... but then therell be at least one dude where that dude should be on the other side all camoed out against the rock. obviously u gonna need to off him too.) i got a fireteam on the either side of that rock ready to pounce. i use my sniper to draw fire and let lose my fireteams (waypoints set to engage the area) once they are in disarray. usually works every time. therell be a straggling dude in the ruins so watch out. maybe some in back. but in any event, i dont think i ever saw these darn u.n. folks i was workin my butt off to make contact with.

I'd just try to get into position to nail them from as far away as possible then advance one team down the road and the other round the back.

Attack from the back and then pop up on the hill and finally advance down the road.

Should work. I haven't actually tried it. :wacko:

The 'racket' is the sound of Russkies shooting at those U.N. soldiers. If you move your sniper along the road towards the village where the U.N. soldiers are, on the right there is a small rise. You kill the two guys there, then creep out, your sniper should be able to take out most of not all the Russkies shooting at the U.N. soldiers.

Out.

Gman, it has a lot to do with scripting. Both UN and Russian village people are set to invincible until you or one of your squad goes through the scripted zone(s) that toggles invincible off. Ronin, that's why you hear the racket--both are shooting but both are invincible initially. If I remember correctly, the zone along the road is set out fairly far, when you got to it, invincibility went off, and UN died before you could get in close Gman.

The long way around back is a sure way to complete the mission. A quicker way, after you clean out the intersection, is to move, crouching up along the right side of the road, hugging the cliff wall, stay off the road. You have to snipe the guys at the crest of the hill from a distance. On elite, you can move quickly up to the crest and nade the groups of Russians in the ruined village. If you have killed the patrols on the other side of the village, this will spawn the last patrol strolling down to the intersection. You can just turn, set up and nade this group too. Mission over.

IMHO, the best way to complete this mission and keep all your guys alive is to focus all characters on the east side. Let me give a breakdown...

-Team A : WIll Jacobs; this guy is a must for my method, only because he can unleash hell with his GL. +2 Riflemen

-Team B : Demo expert + AT4

-Team C: Demo Expert + support or sniper (whoever you wanna build points on)

*The enemy AI is very responsive to to your team's chatter in this mission. Generally, if you make all noise from one side, all enemy converges on you (patrols included) So the focus is to get everybody in the same spot, which can be done.

1. head to the right from the start and take out the east patrol and move your riflemen team behind the rock where you killed the 2nd set of soldiers who came up the hill; also move your Team B demo man in position right before the path down the mountain, just past the railrod tracks. *dont worry about west patrol, just stay out of their sight, they'll come to your side, eventually.

2. Wait to see a tank appear in the distance. They shouldn't see you, so take out one of their tanks (JUST 1) from afar and run like hell to the east, by the the railroad tunnel. Now you've caught the convoys attention, and they're all going to come up that path and stop right where you launched your first rocket

(I don't know why, they just do)

3. When they all come up the path, switch to Jacobs and peak around the corner of the rock you hid team 1 and carpet nade them. You should get 8-10 kills on the first volley alone. From there, just go prone and wait for more soldiers to come up the path. *Be aware of your time, the second tank needs to be taken out before it can start shooting peacekeepers.

3. Switch to your third fireteam near your spawn point and wait for the second tank to come into view, when it does, destroy itwith your other demo man, then head up the west ridge and camp your team somewhere where they can cover any possible random enemies that for some reason or timing did not hear all the commotion to the east.

4. Switch back to B team. He should be by the railroad tunnel. After both tanks are destroyed, 2 russians spawn from inside the tunnel and walk out. Take them out before they cause trouble.

5. By now, there should only be a few guys left, so move slowly and stay in the shadows to mop them up.

Jesus, sorry for that... :wacko:

mike.jpg

Gman, it has a lot to do with scripting. Both UN and Russian village people are set to invincible until you or one of your squad goes through the scripted zone(s) that toggles invincible off.

Thanks for telling me about scripting and scripted zones. That also explains the behavior of the enemies not only in this mission, but several others.

I'm happy to report that I was able to finish the mission. It took several attempts, but I finally got it done.

Now to see how the other missions behave.

Thanks everybody!

Best,

G-Man.

You have to take the long way, going west, then north, kill 3-4 foes, then head east towards the house where the UN soldiers are. Then when I saw the enemy I launched several granades, took out mostly all the ones in the open shooting at the UN soldiers, then finished off the ramaining enemies in the vecinity to secure the area.

Have fun!

G-Man.