WMC Round 2B Open!

Chems

banner.jpg

Hey guys

Round 2B of the GR.NET Weapon Modding Championships is now open!

This second part of round 2 is Assault Rifles, and the weapon - chosen by Pyro Monty - is the Steyr AUG A2 of Black 'Police' Colour Body 407mm 'Carbine' Barrel, Picatinny Rail, 30 Round Magazine and no Optics.

Maximum Poly Count: 600

Max Texture Resolution: 512x512 pixels

a2_config.jpg

Exact required configuration shown. Position of front handgrip at contestant's discretion.

Rules:

- All entered material must be previously unreleased

- Contestants can present only one entry

- Judges can not enter

- Entries that exceed the maximum polygon and texture resolution limits will not be allowed to win.

Before entering please read this post, and any replies made to it for info on the new entry guide.

All entries will be uploaded to the local GR.NET webspace after being posted in this thread to prevent dead links. If you do not have any web space at all, again mail me your entry and I will upload it to the webspace and post it for you.

Thanks and good luck!

Closes 13/4 2300Hrs GMT

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now this is going to be interesting, I've always wanted to try my hand on the Steyr but never really had a reason to untill now :devil: Already have just about all the reference material I'll need for this one, all apart from that sight rail, time to get busy!

600 polys sounds abit on the low side though, but that might just be me being used to working with the 5000 poly limit I used for my last project..lol.

600 polys sounds abit on the low side though, but that might just be me being used to working with the 5000 poly limit I used for my last project..lol.

Low is the name of the game! :devil:

I hope you've been practicing all your best optimisation tricks. :P

:huh: lol NOT FAIR..he already has his made :wacko: ..nice one though :thumbsup:

That's just a texture, not a model, Cobra6 doesn't do models, those are left for Coco or Mac..

That texture in it's original size is HUGE!!

:shifty: Maybe He'll auction it to the highest bidder?? :shifty:

For those complaining about the Poly limit, just take a look at the AUG, its actually not very geometrically complex at all. And there are certain areas where a good texture can replace 100s of polys. Just think hard about it, it is meant to be a challenge after all, or it wouldn't be worth doing - if I'd set the poly count at 5000 then you wouldn't have to think.

Good Luck again.

I've got a little question about the display of entries, read through the thread containing the info but it doesn't mention this anywhere there. Here's the question, what type of lighting and render engine are we allowed to use when we render our weapons?

Might seem a pretty OT question but for example using the "light tracer" lighting in Max 5.1 the model ends up looking alot smoother than with the default lighting, it also seems to "cover up" slight texture flaws.

Well post a picture of your entries here, I will then copy this and upload it to the GR.net webspace so we dont get broken links. As for render, do renders all with out and normal, then I will allow 1 single render with lighting as a piece dela resistance. That sound good?

Yeah that sounds good chems. Lets see the weapons rendered as standard first, and you can add a light tracer render in addition if you want. BTW, a good texture can make your weapon look like you are using light tracer even if you aren't - which is more practical for in game. HINT - darken depressed areas/surfaces and lighten risen edges and surfaces, account for areas that would be in shadow by darkening and/or desaturation.

Already knew those tips mate, got anything better? ;)

Just finished off the model and managed to park it on 596 polys, time to texture this little beauty!

A light tracer render of the untextured model looks like this.

steyr.jpg

Snow