Lots of blood

mirr

I thought this was just a different type of blood effect, can't believe I missed this one.

It might help if you re-titled this thread so more people are aware of what you're really doing!

You've have definitely breathed more life into SP with the inclusion of a full squad and the re-adjustments of the enemy AI and missions (w/v0.6). :thumbsup:

Excellent work!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards to the extra marine - which I like and love getting in massive firefights now!!

Instead of 6 individual marines in the order list, could you group them but under a different heading. The drone and Arty and Tanks all have different headings though they are all 1 unit. The ghost squad can be grouped, but can another group of say just marines be made? That might help in moving them around the battle field.

After seeing this screen, I have got to add this to my local folder :yes: :

grawmodbloodew3.th.jpg

I just downloaded your mod. I'm very interested in the blood effects and decals for the tangos and Ghosts. I'd like to add them into the GR:AW Community Mod v1.5, already in my local folder.

- Which of your folders and xml files are the ones that are required for your blood spray/splatter decals?

silent_op

The blood spatter is awesome, shoot a body until it is lying up against a pillar and the blood smear is extremely realistic. The way the blood spurts out of the body isn't quite as cool - it sort of comes out in "lines", hard to describe, kind of like if you whiplash a paint brush full off wet pet - it looks a little off, but on the whole the effect is really good - and a superb improvement over the original "virtually no gore" setting.

Add to this the changes to the enemy locations and skill, and you've got the perfect incentive to play the campagn all over again - or if you still have not completed it, to start using this mod and enjoy the new effects.

I can't wait for the final version really. :)

With regards to the extra marine - which I like and love getting in massive firefights now!!

Instead of 6 individual marines in the order list, could you group them but under a different heading. The drone and Arty and Tanks all have different headings though they are all 1 unit. The ghost squad can be grouped, but can another group of say just marines be made? That might help in moving them around the battle field.

i'll have a look at that.

should be possible.

but can another group of say just marines be made? That might help in moving them around the battle field.

i'll have a look at that.

should be possible.

Might be worth the effort to create 2 fire teams out of the support element, a good compromise for speed and flexibility. This could even help with the orders issue in the Tac-Map.

It's great that you added those extra RPG-equipped grenadiers, I hate those guys! The random patrols and postures of the Mexicans makes you have to re-think your options.

Does anyone know if the common.xml can be edited to include additional buttons for the extra squad members (see Jace12 post) or would they have to be triggered as in the missions?

Possible problems:

Mission #4-Strongpoint, can't be completed with extra team members due to the extraction sequence.

Particle glitch- occasionally the debri thrown off seems to get larger the longer they are in flight and not necessarily due to proximity of the viewer ; think flying album covers (texture-med everything else-high).

Smoke grenades un-usable (needs a movie?).

version 0.72 sp

http://www.mytempdir.com/862127

contains two versions, full and blood effects only

new stuff

-blood fx (decals,impact)

-physx changes

-ai changes (enemy/ghost)

-extra save after selecting equipment

-tacmap changes (experimental)

-minor/major changes to some missions

fixes

-all missions fixed to work with the modified ai.(might need some more tweaks)

-blood spatter radius adjusted

-some visual fx adjusted

not fixed/can't change(yet)

-missing textures on some missions (6&10, maybe more but haven't noticed)

-ghosts placement in a subgroup (would need script changes i guess)

-other texture problems, like decals etc..

-tacmap issues with the marines (execute order stuff)

notes:

-because of the increased decals, you might notice a bit more lag.

-did not include the changed settings.xml (sound), because if placed in the local folder

it will no longer save your sound settings and revert to software mode.

so if you want to enable the marines voices, uncomment them in /data/sound/settings.xml

I'm going to say first off... great work man.

-I must say... the AI is great.

- Tac map is great... only thing I dont like about that is the directions are inverted sorta... takes some getting use to. I also don't like the extreme drain of color from the game... its almost bordering gray scale.

-Alot of things I don't quite understand. I was looking through your XML files... I noticed some things you changed to a millionth and some to a ten millionth of a second... how do you come up with figures like that ?? We aren't even going to noice such things. We cant notice 100th of a second. A few tenths of a second is where a human being is going to start noticing stuff.

-also.. the helmets on Ghost AI arent lined up in the front.

-Also... why did you not touch the weapons except the M99 then change the bullets to 48 ?

- I'm sorry if it seems I'm getting down on your work.. I'm not, I know its a work in progress, I'm working on my mods myself so I know how it is its just I'm really not understanding alot of your logic of reasons of how and why you changed some of this stuff.

- For instance, I was looking at your enemy AI settings...and friendly AI settings, some of the settings you went in reverse which wouldnt even register.....

- or how you changed the M99's damage from 10 to 1000... which isnt even going to register.

- also... as a nerd who has played this game way too much. I have the missions memorized and enemy placement and numbers... I'm not seeing anymore enemies... just their mobility has increased alot so it seems as if they are different.

Theres plenty of other stuff but we'll get to that in time

I had questions marks racing through my brain when searching your files as you can imagine. But overall as previously said, good stuff.. keep it up and keep us posted.

Edited by JasonFMX

few other things. I apologize if this was covered previously. I haven't had the change to read through this whole thread... but

I like your creativity, like making mayday a day mission... genius. I never thought of that.

However, I'm noticing alot of flaws, I know its unfinished but some of this isn't even runable. For instance, units- blackhawk file is corrupted. It wouldnt let me start Mayday, it kept erroring out so I went and deleted it and presto... it works... but then I never get the video feed to continue with the mission and the blackhawk never left. None of the enemies spawned in and I coudlnt blow the ADA

me and a few buddies are on teamspeak now and we all downloaded this mod and we're all testing diffrent things and we're finding alot of flaws and crashes.

Edited by JasonFMX

I'm going to say first off... great work man.

-I must say... the AI is great.

- Tac map is great... only thing I dont like about that is the directions are inverted sorta... takes some getting use to. I also don't like the extreme drain of color from the game... its almost bordering gray scale.

-Alot of things I don't quite understand. I was looking through your XML files... I noticed some things you changed to a millionth and some to a ten millionth of a second... how do you come up with figures like that ?? We aren't even going to noice such things. We cant notice 100th of a second. A few tenths of a second is where a human being is going to start noticing stuff.

-also.. the helmets on Ghost AI arent lined up in the front.

-Also... why did you not touch the weapons except the M99 then change the bullets to 48 ?

- I'm sorry if it seems I'm getting down on your work.. I'm not, I know its a work in progress, I'm working on my mods myself so I know how it is its just I'm really not understanding alot of your logic of reasons of how and why you changed some of this stuff.

- For instance, I was looking at your enemy AI settings...and friendly AI settings, some of the settings you went in reverse which wouldnt even register.....

- or how you changed the M99's damage from 10 to 1000... which isnt even going to register.

- also... as a nerd who has played this game way too much. I have the missions memorized and enemy placement and numbers... I'm not seeing anymore enemies... just their mobility has increased alot so it seems as if they are different.

Theres plenty of other stuff but we'll get to that in time

I had questions marks racing through my brain when searching your files as you can imagine. But overall as previously said, good stuff.. keep it up and keep us posted.

alot of the settings modified in the xml's were done one by one

to see what the effect was ingame.

if it feels/looks good ingame, i keep the values, there is no logic behind it.

it's all trial and error until more documentation/tools become available.

i like bleached/low saturation imagery, doesn't mean someone else should too. go ahead and change the settings to something you like. alot of how something looks depends on monitor calibration.

the helmets are probably not lined up because of a distortion filter on the texture.

the barrett did not have enough bullets to complete the missions with increased enemy numbers.

when set at the default ten, medium distance shots are not always a kill, when set to 1000 they are. It doesn't mean it will do 1000 damage, just enough to kill with one shot.

damage resistance(bullet endurance) is set in the object/script files, ie. how much bullets it takes for something to explode

or trigger a collision effect. same for explosion damage.

the AI has gone through alot of changes, some things work, others don't.

what do you mean with "won't register"?

if your not seeing more enemies, then something must be wrong, as the numbers are doubled/tripled in some cases.

You need to start a new game to see the changes, as old values are kept in the save files.

take a look at the world files. are you playing single or coop? the changes are not used in coop.

hmm, there shouldn't be any problem with mayday, as i didn't change that mission.

the blackhawk file does not give an error on my system.

i know there are still alot of flaws, but the crashes are atleast fewer with the latest version.

if you find script errors, please post them so i can try to solve the problems.

or if you find a solution for a script error/problem, please post.

no problem brother ill post my last script error.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun Aug 13 18:01:17 2006

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.21

data\lib\units\types\vehicles\blackhawk.dsf(-1): cant find member: world_pos in type <void>

SCRIPT STACK

data\lib\units\ai\soldier\smovelogics.dsf(0)

data\lib\managers\aihivebrain.dsf(0)

data\lib\setups\setup.dsf(0)

data\levels\mission05\mission05_ni.dsf(0)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As stated, i deleted the blackhawk file and we fired right up.

I can understand personal perference with the colors.. i had people make suggestions about my mod that I liked the way it is... perfectly understandable

As for the registration of settings... well its like Grin was saying, certain things can only be adjusted to certain paramaters. See.. the M99 is a one shot one kill weapon.. not only that but it can shoot through things and still kill. if your shooting someone with the M99 and they dont die first shot then something is seriously wrong wtih your game. The ONLY time that can happen is if you shoot through about a foot of concrete at several hundred meters becuase the game has a speical program for the M99 and it calculates its power and resistance in material and how many hit points are left when it comes out to kill. But any clean shot no matter what should be one shot one kill. I made a M24 sniper rifle which is a .308 which is also a one shot one kill weapon and its damage is on 9 and it kills everytime with one shot. Also, keep in mind, only the M99 can penetrate, so if you turn your glock up to 10 it wont penetrate concrete but will have damage to a human target of a 10.

You mention how you went slowly with adjustments, the damage on the M99 is 1000... surely you didnt go slowly on that one ? What I mean by they wont register is you cant just enter any number you wish and it works. For instance, its not shooting with the power of 1000. I think GRIN said the damage scale on firearms goes up to 15, (this is if i remember correctly). Theres one freindly AI gun that has a damage of 15 and thats as high as it goes. But you cant turn the M99 up to 1 million and have it shoot through a hillside or something like a missle. It just wont register with the game as that high. And also about the adjustments going down to ten millionths of a second ? I only ask becuase theres noway you can tweek something and notice its changes that small... thats probably too fast for the computer to even recreate a difference in the game enough for you to see. I mean if you set the recoil to 0.24756738 then change it to 0.2375639 you cant tell me your seeing a difference ?????? I was figuring you had some kind of program that was mathematically adjusting this for you, thats why I ask.

About the ammo on the M99, your aware you can take extra ammo for a total of 35, and most missions have resupplies, you didn't find that to be enough ammo. (Just a personal question) You should also be taking a secondary weapon and using that as well. I know its your personal preference, but I'm just saying it can be done thats all. I do pistol only missions and still finish with ammo to spare. But, again I understand... personal preference.

I tested your mod by simply doing a COOP mission with 3 AI's by the way, I didn't do it in SP yet.

I did a pretty fair sized mod that just recently got added to the downloads section of this site. It mainly changed the friendly AI.... changed them alot ! I changed the enemy AI but not as much as yours... and it of course works best on the hard setting where this can be taken full advantage of. Thing is, I can't make it as hard as I like right now becuase theres still alot of newbies where the easy/ normal settings are still too hard.... and hard is WAY too hard and people like you and I are making extra hard settings that these people just killed in the first five minutes. Thats another reason why I didn't go nuts on enemy AI for my public mod I made. However on my personal machine for now and as time goes by and people get better as whole I would like to start cranking it up and rerelease a updated version. I am completely ready to start making new missions and just load the crap out of them with AI all over the damn place. I'm use to the game enougn now.

again, keep up the good work... keep us posted with updates.

Edited by JasonFMX

no problem brother ill post my last script error.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun Aug 13 18:01:17 2006

data\lib\units\types\vehicles\blackhawk.dsf(-1): cant find member: world_pos in type <void>

SCRIPT STACK

data\lib\units\ai\soldier\smovelogics.dsf(0)

data\levels\mission05\mission05_ni.dsf(0)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As stated, i deleted the blackhawk file and we fired right up.

I can understand personal perference with the colors.. i had people make suggestions about my mod that I liked the way it is... perfectly understandable

As for the registration of settings... well its like Grin was saying, certain things can only be adjusted to certain paramaters. See.. the M99 is a one shot one kill weapon.. not only that but it can shoot through things and still kill. if your shooting someone with the M99 and they dont die first shot then something is seriously wrong wtih your game. The ONLY time that can happen is if you shoot through about a foot of concrete at several hundred meters becuase the game has a speical program for the M99 and it calculates its power and resistance in material and how many hit points are left when it comes out to kill. But any clean shot no matter what should be one shot one kill. I made a M24 sniper rifle which is a .308 which is also a one shot one kill weapon and its damage is on 9 and it kills everytime with one shot. Also, keep in mind, only the M99 can penetrate, so if you turn your glock up to 10 it wont penetrate concrete but will have damage to a human target of a 10.

You mention how you went slowly with adjustments, the damage on the M99 is 1000... surely you didnt go slowly on that one ? What I mean by they wont register is you cant just enter any number you wish and it works. For instance, its not shooting with the power of 1000. I think GRIN said the damage scale on firearms goes up to 15, (this is if i remember correctly). Theres one freindly AI gun that has a damage of 15 and thats as high as it goes. But you cant turn the M99 up to 1 million and have it shoot through a hillside or something like a missle. It just wont register with the game as that high. And also about the adjustments going down to ten millionths of a second ? I only ask becuase theres noway you can tweek something and notice its changes that small... thats probably too fast for the computer to even recreate a difference in the game enough for you to see. I mean if you set the recoil to 0.24756738 then change it to 0.2375639 you cant tell me your seeing a difference ?????? I was figuring you had some kind of program that was mathematically adjusting this for you, thats why I ask.

About the ammo on the M99, your aware you can take extra ammo for a total of 35, and most missions have resupplies, you didn't find that to be enough ammo. (Just a personal question) You should also be taking a secondary weapon and using that as well. I know its your personal preference, but I'm just saying it can be done thats all. I do pistol only missions and still finish with ammo to spare. But, again I understand... personal preference.

I tested your mod by simply doing a COOP mission with 3 AI's by the way, I didn't do it in SP yet.

I did a pretty fair sized mod that just recently got added to the downloads section of this site. It mainly changed the friendly AI.... changed them alot ! I changed the enemy AI but not as much as yours... and it of course works best on the hard setting where this can be taken full advantage of. Thing is, I can't make it as hard as I like right now becuase theres still alot of newbies where the easy/ normal settings are still too hard.... and hard is WAY too hard and people like you and I are making extra hard settings that these people just killed in the first five minutes. Thats another reason why I didn't go nuts on enemy AI for my public mod I made. However on my personal machine for now and as time goes by and people get better as whole I would like to start cranking it up and rerelease a updated version. I am completely ready to start making new missions and just load the crap out of them with AI all over the damn place. I'm use to the game enougn now.

again, keep up the good work... keep us posted with updates.

"I tested your mod by simply doing a COOP mission with 3 AI's by the way,

I didn't do it in SP yet."

well, that explains it.. this mod is NOT coop compatible, thats why it says version 0.72 sp (single player)

sorry if i didn't make this clear enough. Only about half of the modified things work in coop for now. Might make it coop compatible later.

shooting through padding from 150m does not always kill the target when damage is set at 10.

shooting someone in the leg from 50m (or more) does not always kill when damage is set at 10.

there's no difference in caliber damage for bullets, only bullet damage and explosion damage, and these seem to be controlled by the endurance settings(for objects).

number values can be floating-point, i don't know what the precision is in graw, but they are probably being normalized, so even if there's no difference between 0.24788942 and 0.24 it doesn't really matter, the point is its less than the default 0.6

i choose these numbers randomly.

give it a try in sp-mode and see if you still have the same errors.

Mirr, I tried out your mod as well, but with coop and reading your last few post i see that it was aimed for SP, but heres the scriped errors I was getting.

Sun Aug 13 17:13:23 2006

data\lib\script_network\gametype\membercooperative.dsf(-1): cant find member: ghost_ai_data in type <Unit>

SCRIPT STACK

data\lib\script_network\gametype\gametypecooperative.dsf(0)

data\lib\units\extensions\hud.dsf(0)

data\lib\managers\eventmanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\managers\eventmanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\managers\worldmanager.dsf(0)

data\levels\mission02\mission02_ni.dsf(0)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun Aug 13 17:34:55 2006

data\lib\script_network\gametype\membercooperative.dsf(-1): cant find member: ghost_ai_data in type <Unit>

SCRIPT STACK

data\lib\script_network\identity.dsf(0)

I tried to run 5 games that day and all 5 times it crashed. These errors repeated twice, and one time I had a real random error. I clicked launch and it totally skipped the weapons choice screen and when we got out of the APC it crashed. Other than those error, I never got to try out your mod :( I might jump on SP and give it another chance.

squad41ug0.th.jpg

Happiness is a full squad.

snipe14ph6.th.jpg

Warranty voided.

v0.72-full (SP)

I have noticed a definite increase in the number (and accuracy) of the bad guys over the original missions. It might be nice to equip some of the Mexicans (maybe the guerrillas) with some 5.56mm weapons so if you need to you can pick something up along the way.

Tac-map is problematic-W.I.P.

I'm still trying (without luck) to create fire team groups but seem to be missing a step or have something out of sequence, have you gotten anywhere with it?

The only plus side of not having a Mission Editor is all this reverse engineering :thumbsup:

i am just wondering at the fire team thing,

as in the screen shot above from noquarter i see the extra squad members below the original team, if you can link the original team with the extras maybe you have teams ?

example:

brown

(extra)support

(extra)support

kirkland

(extra)support

(extra)support

allan

(extra)support

so if you give mr.Brown the cover command then mr Brown covers with the two added ai ?

etc. etc ?

just a suggestion

as in the screen shot above from noquarter i see the extra squad members below the original team, if you can link the original team with the extras maybe you have teams ?

example:

brown

(extra)support

(extra)support

kirkland

(extra)support

(extra)support

allan

(extra)support

so if you give mr.Brown the cover command then mr Brown covers with the two added ai ?

etc. etc ?

just a suggestion

that caused some problems when i tried that in v0.5 or so.

i think for that to work, you'd need a second player(leader)

or an ai that functions as a leader.

if you clone the player, then you get 2 ghost teams with the members

but then the first one becomes inactive (not ai controlled).

and the second could not use any weapon.

anyway, i couldn't get it to work.

next version of the mod will have bullet penetration for all (bullet)weapons.

example:

brown

(extra)support

(extra)support

kirkland

(extra)support

(extra)support

allan

(extra)support

etc. etc ?

just a suggestion

that caused some problems when i tried that in v0.5 or so.

i think for that to work, you'd need a second player(leader)

or an ai that functions as a leader.

if you clone the player, then you get 2 ghost teams with the members

but then the first one becomes inactive (not ai controlled).

and the second could not use any weapon.

anyway, i couldn't get it to work.

next version of the mod will have bullet penetration for all (bullet)weapons.

sad to hear it did not work out, hopefully grin can fix this or guide you (and us) in the right direction

it would be great if that would work

anxious to play your mod next/final version

• 2 weeks later...

version 0.8 sp

http://www.mytempdir.com/899942

new:

-ai (enemy/friendly)

Teammates should now work better as a team.

They will try to move in groups of two/three and always try to find cover.

If they can they will form a group of four to attack.

Enemies will try to do the same, but they will also spread out and hide more.

-performance tweak

-bullet penetration for Mitchell/Player(s) ai's don't/can't use it :/

fixed:

-some settings that caused crashes

-excessive use of grenades

notes:

it takes a very long time to replay the whole campaign every time changes are made to the files

so there may still be things in there that won't work or cause problems. If you find any let me know.