Project: Open Recon

Intresting idea, a long time ago there was a mod called 5th SFG and the best names in the community created every weapon in high poly glory that a future squad of ghost would need, we had reference material that would make the average modder cry with joy and an awesome story line. What we lacked was programmers.

Drop me a line on MSN jmcar2002@hotmail.com

Well fortunately enough, I have programming skills, and I know a community of programmers. What I would really need is what features graphically, in-game, and etc. it would need to support the modders.

Interesting. Tell ya what. Start some programming, and if you wanna do a World War 1 campaign let me know, as im currently making some models :rocky:

Oh: And id be able to help only with a max library i know nothing about maya or lightwave, etc and i dont have them.

Edited by element11

I decided a great project would be creating a game that emulated GR1, even using similar xml configs, but open-sourced and free to download.

So let me know what you guys think

I'll be more than happy to help out by supplying environments/maps for your engine but I'll have to see what your engine will be capable off.

Got something to show us?

Ogre3D is actually very fast. It will take some optimization to ensure that speed stays over the large environments. There are other alternatives, but Ogre is the most robust.

It has numerous graphical effects that you've seen in modern engines, and they run fairly fast. HDR is still slow unless you have high performance cards, but it will be an option in the game I hope. Bloom, motion blur, night vision, heat vision... these are all built into Ogre.

The game will be made in C++, but I hope to implement friendly mission scripting to make it easier to create missions.

Sounds good.

I've seen some of the movies and screenshots and it does hold a lot of effects.

Surely more can be created by a clever programmer.

I definatly liked the looks of the Blue Fox game (tankgame). It had pretty much the looks of a realistic combat game (not looking at the tank really, but more or less at the way the engine renders the scene).

If you're dedicated and not chickening out at the first glitch 0:) , I'll gladly take on this challenge and see how far we can get this thing up and running.

I can set up the environments, layout of maps etc. I can also do vehicles if need be.

Characters is a whole different ballgame, not even talking about animations. Todays games use motion-capture, something we probably never can afford. IK by hand is doable but probably not as real as motion-capture.

Another issue might be sound and music. Probably not needed right now but surely at a later stage and an audio-engine needs to be implemented from the start. Probably already present in OGRE?

what's the point of starting from zero?

I can see the point.

With all the dissapointment over <cough>/recently released games/<cough>, imagine making your own from a fans perspective.

I'm just amazed that anyone would attempt it knowing the mind blowing commitment involved

Without wanting to be negative - if you take a look at a game like Armed Assault with a huge Depth of Field, massive environment, all the animations done, mission editor ready, etc etc etc - what's the point of starting from zero?

Why try to collect stamps, swapping with people all over the world, spending hours and hours of arranging them, if you can buy a whole set already lined up in neat showcase in the store??

It's called a hobby I guess, and hobbies should be fun.

I'm a programming language dummy but might be able to help with some mission scripting?

Since this is a grass roots thing, maybe you could recruit some help from an SMU Guildhall cohort since they are required to do a total conversion and a game from scratch? Just a thought.

mig :ph34r:

Wait wait wait... huh? who is SMU? and whats this about a game that they have to do?

well after I thought about it I think maybe it would not work but the Guildhall is a gaming industry school located in Plano Texas and associated with Southern Methodist Univ. It is two year program and yes, each "cohort" must develop a full game to graduate...or at least that is how it was when I checked em out considering the second ever cohort..they are here in the Dallas /Ft Worth area which gives them access to some gaming pros like people from Id.

here go, check out their forums to see what is up around there these days..you might meet some potential contributors, who knows, eh?

http://guildhall.smu.edu/

I'm in for art if you guys get off the ground. Don't really want to devote the time to model guns and soldiers (neither of which are real interests of mine) until I'm sure they're actually going to make it into something, but any indie project has my support. :)

Wait wait wait... huh? who is SMU? and whats this about a game that they have to do?

well after I thought about it I think maybe it would not work but the Guildhall is a gaming industry school located in Plano Texas and associated with Southern Methodist Univ. It is two year program and yes, each "cohort" must develop a full game to graduate...or at least that is how it was when I checked em out considering the second ever cohort..they are here in the Dallas /Ft Worth area which gives them access to some gaming pros like people from Id.

here go, check out their forums to see what is up around there these days..you might meet some potential contributors, who knows, eh?

http://guildhall.smu.edu/

A full game to graduate... well... not really. I know one group did a big Neverwinter Nights mod last spring. But they replaced all terrain, characters and weapons as well as did some coding in the rules. But still it used alot of the original game engine settings.

EDIT:

Found it.

The Hunt

Edited by Wolfsong

yea, I don't doubt it is less than that Wolfsong, when the lead instructor of level design told me that I thought it kinda ambitious...a full conversion would take a while even for teams,eh? That was back in the very early days of their school, the people I met were in the first cohort. Still, it looks like they have done ok for their students and if their requirements are'nt too bad maybe a few would have the time help Rabid'. I remember he told me back then that they consider it grad school even though the requirements for entry are much different than that, he was referring to work load and expectations I think..outside of finances the logistics of yet more graduate school "you should put in 12 or more hours a day" cooled me off...