The Blues

Piccolo

Hey everyone, I was just curious if there were many fans of the Blues, or any traditional American Folk music here on the forums? I myself am a big fan of Pre-war (WWII) Mississippi Delta Blues; however I love all kinds. Electric, rock/blues, etc. Anyway, for those that are interested in the topic, feel free to list any songs or particular artist/styles you enjoy. Just to note, I posted this topic over at the platoon as well, I wanted to see what the reaction would be here too, however. :)

@Sgt.Crocodile

That song is blue-grass music not blues. Not to nit pick but there is a difference.

@Piccolo

Since you like that kind of blues may I suggest a trip to the House of Blues down in New Orleans? Kansas City and Chicago also have some good blues clubs as well.

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

Robert Johnson is a fav of mine. For good traditional blues, you just cant go wrong with just a man singin with his guitar.

For vocals, check out the Fairfield Four, awesome a capella quartet...they do blues and gospel-- check out "110 in the Shade" done by John Fogerty (Blue Moon Swamp) w/ Fairfield Four doing backup vocals.

For raw talent and style on electric, check out Jimi Hendrix's blues album. He covers a few songs along with some of his originals.

Nice sig Picc... "Deacon Jones, pray for me..." ;)

Edited by hephaestus

Nice suggestions, I'll check them out. However there are still so many artists out there I want to learn of and hear, I think it would take a lifetime to listen to them all. Thanks, on the sig, btw. Nothing special, just made it in a few minutes. That's Son House, Robert Johnson, and Charley Patton in the picture, for those that care.

I'm just starting to learn the basics of playing the blues. Although I haven't heard a lot of the genre your referring to it has to be the the most emotional form IMHO. I've touched on some bluessgrass that to me is a little happier when you play it. The very basic pieces I'm playing generally follow the standard 12 bar blues structure, but there are so many variances. This is also the best type to jam to. Pick your lick and let someone play over the top and who knows what can happen(ability withstanding)

@Sgt. Croc. that film is O Brother Where Art Thou by the Coen Brothers, and that had one of the best movie soundtracks I've heard.

@Sgt. Croc. that film is O Brother Where Art Thou by the Coen Brothers, and that had one of the best movie soundtracks I've heard.

You're damn right.

I love that one from the "sirens" and other from those religious peole all dressed in white walking down to the river to "save the sould from damnation"... :D

@Sgt.Crocodile

So....warhawk...tell me the differences between Blues and Bluegrass...i really want to know

I'm not sure that I can adequately explain this to you. Other than to say they just are and even that isn't really an acceptable answer is it. When you start looking at music that either started in or became really popular early to mid 1900's, such as blues, rock (not today's stuff either), bluegrass and even country you could say that they are all alike in some ways. But in as much as they have some common areas they are completely different at the sametime. Rock is more tied to blues for example. But for me to sit here and give you a discourse on the differences would be beyond my ability. Wish I could help more than that.

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

I think that was Steve Vai Cpl Ledanek, but no quotation marks please :P, they are both equally good

I used to get goose bumps from that last scene and even taped it.

Speaking of goose bumps and loosely tied to the subject, anyone else get that little surge listening to a piece that just grabs you or should I keep up with the medicatioin? :unsure:

The Devils guitar player in the cutting heads sequence in "Crossroads" was Steve Vai! The piece they played was all done by Vai, its on one of his later albums, look for a track called "Eugene's Trick Bag". Superb guitar playing.

"everyone knows Muddy Waters invented electricity"

Thanks for the suggestion, Warhawk. Unfortunately, I'm only 17 and live in North Carolina, so my chances of going to any of those places anytime soon don't look good.

Hey Pic, there is a House of Blues in Myrtle Beach, SC. I don't know how good it is, I try to stay away from Myrtle Beach and all of SC for that matter. :rolleyes:

Good to see this topic still has some life left in it, thanks to all who have posted.

Heyabusa, I know exactly what you mean. Son House's 'My Black Mama' part 1/2 does it for me; check it out. These two were cut back in 1930 in Grafton WI, with a few other tracks. On playing, I'm just starting to learn, but I don't know much yet. Just a few cords and a general understanding of certain things.

Sgt. Croc, for a clear example -

Bluegrass:

Bill Monroe - Blue Moon Of Kentucky

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserv...0871822-7732660

Blues:

Robert Johnson - Traveling Riverside Blues

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserv...0871822-7732660

Obviously the sounds are worlds apart from the clips, as you can hear. Bluegrass is tradtionaly a 'hillbilliy' (No offence meant) type of music, which was enjoyed largely by white audiences in those days. It relies on banjos, fiddels (Violins), and a picking style of guitar playing, etc. Blues on the other hand, evolved from field hollers and gospel/choir music, through the black community in the deep southern states. Alot of the rythm and lyrical arrangments stem from prison camp labor, as well.

Traditionally, only guitars (Usually slide), or harmonica's were used in the playing of the Blues. Basically, whatever was cheapest to procure by the player, was used in performing. Many who couldn't afford guitars would homemake one from a broomstick with a tin cans and string, etc. The first documented case of someone hearing a traditional blues song was in 1903, IIRC. W.C Handy (A classically trained musician) was waiting for a train in Mississippi, and heard a man playing slide guitar and singing about 'Where the southern cross the dog', which is the the junction of the Y&M Railroad. For more on this, check out this well put together article by the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ww2/A1095248

i don't listen to it but ya gotta respect it cus almost all modern music types descend from it blues created rockn roll which created rock/classic rock/ heavymetal/ punk/ those hybrid rap/ rock bands, it sprung off disco which eventually lead to rap, uhh country comes from blues/rock, uhhh whatelse is there uhhh pop descendied from disco i would guess and same for techno.... somehow... uhhh nevermind...

I wouldn't say country springs from the Blues, although that depends on the type. The more traditional, not pop, country music, is from blue grass and that scene. Pop country (Shania Twain, etc) could be said to have sprung from a blues/rock/country hybrid, though.

Cooder layed down a sound track for the movie Southern Comfort. Had some of the spookiest slide blues as well as some good Cajun stuff.

Movie is worth looking at just for the slide by Cooder.

I made a personal mod based on this movie with the sound track using the swamp map, too cool.