[My] Top 2 Games Of '08?

Walter

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway and Far Cry 2.

Brothers in Arms

TRAILER

Far Cry 2

TRAILER

Both games are pushing the limits and/or introducing some new way of doing things in gaming. Not just recycled ideas repackaged in a new engine. High hopes for BiA: HH as I've had it on pre-order since Spring 2006.

And some nice trailers may very well be the best we get from UBI. They've been known to ruin more than a few franchise games. :wall: They do look promising but UBI may stick their nose in way to deep and muck up the gameplay! :o

FarCry2 does look pretty amazing. I wonder if they really need the "FarCry" name though. I mean, it's not even the original dev. However, it looks more interesting the Crysis did to me.

BIA...looks good enough, but I'm really burned out on WW2 games myself. I'd like to see BIA take a modern turn like COD did. Imagine a game like BIA with a modern setting where you had to think to get your soldiers through. I did enjoy the first BIA though, even tried to beat it on the most insane difficulty. I think I got with the last three missions before I threw in the towel.

HAWX....so disappointing, but I'm still interested to see what happens closer to launch.

I really wish Clancy didn't sell his name to them. Their games are getting progressively further and further away from any semblance of reality yet still maintaing a level of monetary success which just keeps the cycle going.

wow i haven't posted here in like a year but whatever, my two most hopeful games, or most looked forward to, are

Mercenaries 2, this game seems like it will be great, an open world, and you can blow up anything, what more can you ask for. i loved the first one on the ps2 and hopefully the second one will be better.

Fallout 3, this game looks like oblivion in a world where nukes went off, seems like a really great idea, i have never played the other fallout games so this is completely new to me.

I have no interest in any of these titles but I hope that Ubi receives critical and commercial success with BIA:HH, Far Cry2, EndWar, HAWX, etc., so much so that they find themselves in the position of no longer trying to keep up with the Jones' (and the lowest common denominator) and can seek out a development team to resurrect one of the publishers Golden Oldies'...keeping what works, improving what can be improved upon in a realistic and mimimal manner/fashion, and updating it for current technical standards - all without resorting to the bells and whistles...and cheese.

And no, I am not referring to Rayman.

I have no interest in any of these titles but I hope that Ubi receives critical and commercial success with BIA:HH, Far Cry2, EndWar, HAWX, etc., so much so that they find themselves in the position of no longer trying to keep up with the Jones' (and the lowest common denominator)

You're aware that ubisoft is running on about six years of critical acclaim and incredible financial success, right?

If they wanted to revisit old games they could any time. A sequel to Beyond Good and Evil -- the criticall acclaimed and beloved but poor selling xbox1 game -- has just been announced.

Just 'cause no one has any desire to work on a boring military game that won't even sell well doesn't mean Ubisoft ignores creative, unusual titles.

Squad e, those were both 07 games?

Hoewever, Ubi's modern direction for the franchise is also exquisite.
Surely you can't be referring to the GR franchise with this adjective, can you?

I'm just a consumer of the products and don't really follow the industry/market/trends to the degree that some here appear to but do you really mean to suggest that the move to abandon the GR model for that of the :AW genre was a financially astute decision for the publisher? That to me would be, well...exquisite. ;)

____

Apologies to the OP.

but do you really mean to suggest that the move to abandon the GR model for that of the :AW genre was a financially astute decision for the publisher?

Yes. Graw broke sales records all around, and made quite a bit more money than GR ever did.

This is public record and fact, you're welcome to look it up if you want, it's been posted around before. :)

GR has been out, what, six-seven years? and GRAW one or two? And it's already outsold it easily.

GR has been out, what, six-seven years? and GRAW one or two? And it's already outsold it easily.

That would only tell me that there's a lot of stupid gamers out there with a lot of money burning a hole in their pockets! :whistle:

That would only tell me that there's a lot of stupid gamers out there with a lot of money burning a hole in their pockets! :whistle:

A valid argument; what kinds of games are good is subjective, although you're eliminating entire, very popular genres (such as 'shooter') when you make a proclamation like that.

However, the fact remains that financially it has made a fortune for Ubisoft, so as a business they are wise to follow this course.

All it means is there are more gamers out there now than when [GR] was released. Just like we get a shed load more visitors here now that even during GR1's popular period, it's not because this is a better site now than it was then :thumbsup: Games today don't need to be as good anymore, there's a bigger, dare I say, less discerning customer base than before that's all.