Assassin's Creed

Fletch

Link to Arstechnica.com Review of Assassin's Creed for the PC

Assassin's Creed on the PC: bad UI, bad DRM, bad port

By Ben Kuchera | Published: April 14, 2008 - 11:16AM CT

When we found out that Assassin's Creed would be coming to PCs, and that the game would be distributed through Steam, everyone was happy. PC gamers get a quality title and fans of Steam don't have to leave the house to buy the game. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like much care was put into the PC port, and problems have begun popping up all over the Internet. Let's take a look at some of the mistakes made.

There is a lot more at the link and none of it is good. I was waiting on this game for a while now and am extremely disappointed by this review.

I won't be spending my hard earned money on this title.

I've not had a single problem w/ Assassin's Creed on my PC. Not one. No crashing. No glitching. No 'artifacts'. I must say, I'm having a heck of a time, and if there are more games like this out for consoles, then I'm going to have to get off the fence and get one. It's the most amazing game I've ever played.

Dai, are you playing it on the PC or the Console?

PC

He mentioned this to me the other day, hoping to pick it up shortly.

:rocky:

Hmmm, that goes against the reviewers finding for both him and Parabellum. I wonder then what type of computers these folks have that are having all those problems vs the ones that are happy with the game.

Dai, are you playing it on the PC or the Console?

PC

He mentioned this to me the other day, hoping to pick it up shortly.

:rocky:

Hmmm, that goes against the reviewers finding for both him and Parabellum. I wonder then what type of computers these folks have that are having all those problems vs the ones that are happy with the game.

My PC is a mid level gaming machine i would say.

AMD 4400 dual core

2gb DDR400

8800GT

X-Fi Sound card

Runs great on that though, amazing gfx, no glitches so far, and enough interest to draw you in for just one more go.

Reviews are ALWAYS subjective and tbh, no matter how much they are supposed to be independent I can't help being cynical. It never ceases to amaze me the high scores some sites and magazines give to, quite frankly, sub standard ports.

Edited by Dai-San

A lot better than my system, I only have a 3500 with a 1950 Pro 2Gb DDR400 and intergrated 8.1 sound. Maybe I'll wait to pick this up till I finally get around to building my next system.

I'm running

AMD Athlon X2 4800

X1550 512mb

2gb ram

Onboard NForce-based Dolby Digital sound

There are myriad reasons why systems could be having trouble, and it could be a game issue, or it could be a driver/hardware issue. There are plenty of games that don't run right in Vista with specific hardware. I do have to run on the lowest Quality setting (1/4), but can turn everything else up. I'm sure my video card is the problem, but it's all I could afford. Even on that detail level though.... just wow. :)

I have to agree with Whisper, and I was thinking the same thing this morning: AC is so much like Splinter Cell, 800 years earlier, lol.

this game got my attention too, but I rather see it for myself...is there a demo?

will be playing on:

ABIT IP35 Pro v1.1 BIOS v.16beta09/ Intel C2D E8400 Batch Q748A223 /Xigmatek HDT-RS1283/ 4GB Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5DHX 5-5-5-18 1.80V ver4.1/ Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF/ CM Stacker 830SE/ Creative Labs Fatal1ty ProGamer/ eVGA 8800 768 GTX/ Dell UltraSharp 2407FPW-HC

any protection scheme like Starforce or that other stuff? :unsure: I'm reading too many Samsungs and Lite On drive getting damaged by Crysis...sorry if this derail thread...please delete if need be. :thumbsup:

I'm reading too many Samsungs and Lite On drive getting damaged by Crysis...

I was never told that when I bought my Samsung drive/Crysis. Mine seems to be OK though, and I've played Crysis quite a bit.

it only affects common people...your always an exemption :thumbsup: ...Crysis looks nice but I'll wait for the GR mod for it...if ever. <_<

I must admit, that news of all this does not suprise me in the slighest, especially considering UBI's propensity for quick and dirty ports.

I'm glad to hear performance is good for users like Dia, but seems many others have a fair number of issues. But performance issues aside, there are no excuses for NOT making the port fit properly. Like supporting common PC resolutions properly or optimizing the menus for the PC. That just smells of lazieness or cheapness in the port. (like R6 Vegas and Splinter Cell for example). It's these simple things that you would think would be no brainers but are ignored by UBI when porting games lately.

It just means to me that they are not really interested in making the title fit on the platform properly. Which also means that it's likely that they shortcutted elsewhere in the port - like for example Quality Assurance / testing. Which could also be the reason so many people are having issues performance and bug issues with the game.

I played the game on the PS3 and enjoyed it for the most part. But by the last 3rd of the game, the repetitive nature really got old. Infact I stopped performing the side missions of rescuing people etc and just went for the main quest assassinations just to finish the game. All in all, it was a nice story but I felt the gameplay mechanic of the same thing in each city got old fast. They should have varied it up a bit more and actually made you have to use the information that you gathered to perform the assassinations.

After finishing the PS3 version, I really had no interest in playing the PC version. I would look at the next episode however on the PS3 or Xbox because I think it is an interesting story line.

Went over to the UBI forums for AC last night to see if they had any PC people with problems running the game. After no one here reported any problems I was surprised to see that there are a lot of them over there. One of the problems seems to be from old drivers for Nvidia cards and that it also does not support AGP at all. Some folks running SLI reported that disabling one of the cards solved their problems and others saying that did nothing for them. I think I'm confused. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Went over to the UBI forums for AC last night to see if they had any PC people with problems running the game. After no one here reported any problems I was surprised to see that there are a lot of them over there. One of the problems seems to be from old drivers for Nvidia cards and that it also does not support AGP at all. Some folks running SLI reported that disabling one of the cards solved their problems and others saying that did nothing for them. I think I'm confused. :blink:

+1 read too, specially those with OC'd CPUs...don't know why but when its clocked down its works...plus there's supposed to be a beta driver floating around...I'll link as soon as I come across again.

LONG STORY

SHORT STORY

Tweakguides

Edited by Cpl Ledanek

I got my copy last week some time. It runs great on my 2600XT/4600x2 system. I've got all graphics maxed playing at default res on my 19" lcd. I've had it crash before it loaded one time, but I think that was an issue with their updater that runs before play. No in game crashes or anything before or since.

I have noticed a few bugs where Altair gets hung between objects and on ledges, but nothing major. It does try to download a patch when I start it now, but I keep canceling. I don't want to mess with something that currently works.

This game has been running so well for me, all at medium settings.. 1024x768.

I've only noticed a bug where you see an enemy to get a view point, he is sorta hovering lol....

Pretty good stuff to be fair.

• 1 month later...

Unable to pick pocket. :( Must be doing it wrong..What is "Low Profile" mode? I thought it was hands together, head down and mingle. But every time he sees me. Little fed up of replaying the whole conversation scene over and over.

Any help?

:blink:

:rofl:

well, all you need to is, creep up behind him, you have to have LOCK mode on, when you lock on a target when you want to attack, but in this case you want to pick pocket. When you've locked on him, creep up slowly when you get near enough hold down the SHIFT key and creep up behind him slowly, don't let anyone see you though. Then when you get near enough He should pick pocket him :)

hope that helps...

:pirate: