Switching from speakers to headset & mic

Hello all. When the parts for my new rig are assembled I want to use a headset for games so I don't bother the rest of the family. I don't have a front headphone/mic port, though. I was thinking about getting one of these.

How do *you* switch between speakers and headphones?

Thanks.

BigT

I bought an extension cable for the speaker wire. I simply have the front of the extension cable sitting on top of my PC with the two connectors (speakers/headset) sitting there as well. I just reach over and swap them as needed.

With my sound card, a Turtle Brach Santa Cruz, I have both the speakers and headphones plugged into the soundcard at one time. I use the soundcard software to switch between the two.

Or you could just manually plug/unplug the headset 1/8" jacks... :unsure: Since the back of my case is easy access, and I have an Audigy 2(3 surround outputs + 1 digital output), I just leave my mic connector plugged in, and connect/disconnect my headphone speaker connector when I want to make use of the headphones.

That way, I don't have to spend $20. ;)

All I did was to get a splitter for the audio plug and a headset with volume control, that way I can have both the speakers and headset plugged in at the same time but still have controll on where I want the sound to go. Was to much hasse trying to reach behind the computer every time I wanted to use the headset.

I crawl prone up to my tower unit, squeeze myself into the small unit it sits in[1] , then carefully pull the unit forward (to avoid yanking out cable by mistake) so I can peer around the back.

Then I realise I forgot to switch the spotlight on, so I can't see a damn thing.

I extract myself from the hole and give my head a token bump on the way out. Switch on lamp. Reinsert myself into cramp space.

Pull out speaker cables (2 No.). Insert headset cable and mic cable. Push tower back in.

Extract myself by edging backwards, still prone. Bump head on way out.

Sit in front of PC, put headphones.

Wonders where everyone went.

Is there an easier way?

[1] If anyone doesn't believe me, I will gladly post a picture of the "space"

Yep I have that desk. What I have achieved is actually pretty difficult. If you attempt to pull my tower out by more than 35mm, the PC cable will be pulled out. It's a really tricky move that I have almost perfected.

Guest Jester

It is virtually impossible for me to access the back of my PC without moving the entire desk, which is not something that is easy to do. This is one of the reasons I'll be really happy with the new sound card in the new machine, once I get it.

Audigy2_Drive_Topview_right.jpg

Guest Jester

It's difficult to see in that picture, but there's a cutout in the desktop right in front of the tower that provides easy access to the front. If I get a chance, I'll snap some pics of mine from a better angle.