What was your favorite load out from GRAW1?

Mods please bear with me here. All the kit discussions got me thinking on this. I'm creating this topic in the general discussion so it gets the most response for map makers. That way they can see what loadouts players have liked using in the past to put them in future GRAW2 maps. For coop it might be a way for map/mod makers to appeal to more players.. While I had initially intended this to be just for coop we might as well open it up for adver for any kind of interesting mod or over the top maps that a crazy map maker might want to make. So list your favorite adversarial loadout as well.

Here are my 2 favorite coop loadouts. I don't really have a favorite Adver since I really don't play those modes.

COOP:

All around

M8 + Combat Sight + Silencer + GL

MP5SD + Combat Sight

Hand Grenade

Sniper

M99

MP5SD + Combat Sight

I would like to see some variations on this with the some of the new sniper and assault rifles which would be interesting for COOP play for me.

Hopefully you coop players (and adversarial) will post and give map makers and idea of what kinds of loadout you would like to see on their maps.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

When I played COOP I liked using:

SCAR-L /SCOPE/GL or Hand Grip/Frags Depending on the Map

M9 Silenced

or

M99

MP5 or No Secondary w/ Frags

TDM usually went between M8 Frags or Gl's / SCAR-L Scoped

Mods please bear with me here. ....................

Wait second here.

Aren't XML files nothing more than text files using all the right magic word and using a fixed and known syntax?

Why doesn't someone just create a GRAW2 launcher that allows you to define your own desired kits and then launch GRAW2 from the kit launcher. Then before GRAW2 is luanched, it rewrites the XML file with the kits you want and then luanches GRAW2 which will read the newly written XML.

Vio la. new kits that change anytime you want.

I don't program any more, but I'm pretty sure any skilled and up to date programmer with a passion for GRAW could make a simple version of this with pop down selection menus etc.

Then, if the program allowed you to name certain custom sets, you could save your custom sets. and people could trade custom sets. so a server that wants to be locked down could setup a custom set and then require that other people use his custom set file from tehir launcher.

Edited by Sleepdoc

Well alot of coop servers are going to run the AC I know we will be doing it to keep everyone playing the same game. And that will prevent client side "kits" from working.

It would be nice to have more options in the loadouts which is the purpose of this post - to give map makers and idea of what people want so they can include them (or something similar) in their pre-defined kits that they have to make with the map.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

Well alot of coop servers are going to run the AC I know we will be doing it to keep everyone playing the same game. And that will prevent client side "kits" from working.

It would be nice to have more options in the loadouts which is the purpose of this post - to give map makers and idea of what people want so they can include them (or something similar) in their pre-defined kits that they have to make with the map.

you miseed this part of my post i think ...

Then, if the program allowed you to name certain custom sets, you could save your custom sets. and people could trade custom sets. so a server that wants to be locked down could setup a custom set and then require that other people use his custom set file from tehir launcher.

I edited it in later.

Edited by Sleepdoc

I didn't miss it and it's not a practical option for dedicated servers which are hopefully the majority of servers out there. I'm not sure if you host or have hosted a dedicated 24/7 public server. But the only times they come down or are locked is for a ladder match or team practice. Other than that, it's not a good thing to mess around with it alot as that it affects your regular players and creates an unpreditable environment where players don't know if or when they are going to be able to play.

Addittionally, if I want to go pubbing, it's impossible to coordinate with just any server that I might join. When I log in to play I don't want to spend 15 to 30 minutes to try to join a modded server. It's not practical for me if I just happen to see the server in the browser and want to join. I'll just move on to one I can join. Alot of public servers rely on people seeing a decent ping, is populated, and is the game mode they want to play. If they have to jump through hoops they aren't going to stay unless they already know your server well. Then they might be willing to take time out to find, download, and install the mod.

It's for COOP which doesn't have to balance against other kits. I know your stance on that from previous posts since you're a competitive TvT player and everything doesn't matter. So if you don't want to contribute leave the wise cracks at the door please.

I already have contributed in an entirely different thread. So why don't you check your ego at the door instead of acting like this isn't the 30th thread about this very topic. The bottom line is, people want to have the "perfect" kits so that they can roll through 70% of the map by themselves. Assault-rifle + suppressor + scope + GL + some hand grenades = I don't need any other teammates. Its been a proven fact in GRAW1. So I don't see how this is a "wise crack" at all. Its as simple as that. Having the kit selection not only promotes more teamworks, but almost makes it a necessity. If you know someone is behind a wall, you can bring up a teammate that has a grenade to chuck it over. Hell, thats what you do in real life. If you don't have a nade and you need one, you call for someone who does. Need to cross the street or keep some heads down while you push up? That support guy sure comes in handy. Getting picked off by a sniper? Bring up your own. Getting pinned down by an MG nest? That Grenade Launcher will sure come in handy. With the "perfect kit" you can accomplish all of that by yourself. Why should one guy be able to take out that sniper without breaking a sweat, smoke out a baddie hiding behind a crate, and blow up a patrol of enemies as if it were nothing? This game and these maps were not designed to be played that way. All of these coop maps allow you to have way more than 3 teammates. So the need for completely customized kits is not there. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current way the kit system is setup.

Edited by MorphingJar

hmm ego? Pot calling the kettle black eh?

Regardless, I disagree with your opinion of kits in coop and so do alot of others which is why you are seeing it come up so often. The right or wrong of kits in coop isn't the point of the thread here it's to give map makers and idea of what people want to see in premade kits.

so I'll ask you again, please contribute in the spirit of the thread and stop trying to derail it.

@MorphingJar

I don't have the game and don't know if i will (but i keep checking these forums) but i think you miss one thing:

You say that for having those pre-kits you make it so people have to do team work.

But that's not completely true, what makes the teamwork is some "leader" saying (ok, more things make it but this is an essential one):

- you pick that weapon and extra nades

- you sniper and extra ammo

- you this weapon and anti-tank

By having pre kits in a non-organized server you'll find all people using the guns/kits they want and not looking for what they could need. The same way would happen if people could create their own kits.

You may say that with ow kits all people would end with that scoped weapon with nadelauncher and AT, but that doesn't make any difference cause in an organized server that wouldn't happen, there would be a leader saying what to pick.

When you play coop, you mainly end playing in one server with the same people (no need to be a clan), using comms with them and actually doing great missions (it doesn't matter which game GR, GRAW1&2, OFP, ArmA, ...). So if I'm right what this people ask if a way to play the game the way they want.

Edited by Big

By having pre kits in a non-organized server you'll find all people using the guns/kits they want and not looking for what they could need. The same way would happen if people could create their own kits.

This is an interesting thing. Coop modes are not designed to be played on non-organized servers. They are designed to be played in COOP, which by itself is an organized way of playing together against the AI.

Thats why i say that it doesn't matter if you create your own kit (free selection i mean) or have predefined ones, in public servers with no leader that will happen all the time.

But as i see it, the best would be to let the people choose their kits, since they are organized (by definition as you say) there is no need for some external "power" to decide for them.

I play ArmA and the mission maker decides what to give to the players. Some give pre-kits so you play with what they thought it was good for the mission, some place some ammo crates where you can pick other weapons, and some other ways you can imagine.

I don't have any problems with that, but what I'm sure that in "my" server there is no room for 100 scoped nadelaunchers +AT even if the mission allows it. We always have a leader (anyone can be it) who decides how to play that mission and gives roles for the players. People not accepting it know what they have to do.

Sometimes there are people playing in the server when "we" come to play, they are playing other way (respawns, "rambo style", ...), but as soon as that mission ends and we are playing if they don't follow orders and our gameplay they are out.

Edited by Big

So whats the point of not letting those organized people (as u say is meant to be played) to freely choose what they want?

It's already been covered why it like it is... a few times even.

I know and i understand it, even if i understand people not sharing that point of view.

To me the mission maker should be the one who decides what kits(weapons) are for that specific mission, cause he is the only one who knows what he was aiming to.

At the end if you don't like it you can edit it for your tastes. Of course asking for permission if you release it and it's not only for you :D (i don't think mission makers would have any problem with people just changing the kits available, i wouldn't)

Edited by Big

I know and i understand it, even if i understand people not sharing that point of view.

To me the mission maker should be the one who decides what kits(weapons) are for that specific mission, cause he is the only one who knows what he was aiming to.

At the end if you don't like it you can edit it for your tastes. Of course asking for permission if you release it and it's not only for you :D (i don't think mission makers would have any problem with people just changing the kits available, i wouldn't)

That is one reason, but not the main one. The main reason is that it's implemented in the unified game mode system used for the MP side, which only has the kit selection system. This to allow servers to host Coop and the other MP modes in the same cycle if they want.

Yes i read it in other of your posts, design decision :D.

Fair enough, and it allows the mission makers to create their own kits for any mission, doesn't it?

Of course. It's all open XML.

So it ends acting the way i think it's the best ---> mission maker decides it :D

I'm sure others won't share my view, but the mission maker makes the mission and he decides. People has the option not to play it.

hmm ego? Pot calling the kettle black eh?

Regardless, I disagree with your opinion of kits in coop and so do alot of others which is why you are seeing it come up so often. The right or wrong of kits in coop isn't the point of the thread here it's to give map makers and idea of what people want to see in premade kits.

so I'll ask you again, please contribute in the spirit of the thread and stop trying to derail it.

This is my point exactly. If i disagree with your "Opinion" on how the kits should be set up, then I'm not contributing to the thread? You make me laugh Flimflam. :thumbsup:

The truth of the matter is that most of the people who play this game are just fine with the kit selection is set up. A very small portion of the people who play the game even know these forums exist. Even fewer bother to post in these forums. Of those few people who do post here, even less bother with posting in the threads in regards to the weapon kits because theres nothing wrong with them. There is plenty of variety in each kit and they are set up in a way not to overpower the maps. Zeus in quarry? Thats the biggest joke I've heard all day. Would make the map a cakewalk and is completely unnecessary.

I've never played any of the coop maps before last night. So me and a few of my buddies, who also have never played coop before last night, decided to blow through the maps on an empty server just to see if we would have any of the "problems" that so many of you coop players preach about in regards to the limited weapon selections. Other than some issues getting across the bridge on sierra, we had no problems what so ever. The sad, sad truth of the matter that you just don't want to accept is that the coop (Shortened term for Cooperative) maps are designed to be played as such. You need to cooperate with your teammates in order to complete the mission. But the majority of you who play coop don't really want to do that. You just want to roll through the map and blow things up by yourself or with your buddy that you might have with you. You feel that because the other players in the server aren't "cooperating" with you that you need your "perfect" kit so that you can deal with any situation just fine by yourself. So the problem here isn't the weapon kits, its the players that play coop game types and don't actually cooperate with the other players on the server. You coop players need to come to terms with that instead of creating dozens of useless threads on the forums.

Oh and btw. My Pots and kettles are silver. ;)