New upgrade... parts on the way.

ROCO*AFZ*

Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 $400 (it's nice being an OEM)

Kingston KVR800D2N5k2/2gb 167.00

Asus PN532-E-SLI GREEN mainboard with 3 pci 16x slots 209.00

Evga Geforce 8800GTX 525.00$

Asus dvdrw 33$

Razer Exactmat mousepad 26.00

going into a thermaltake armor case with 250mm side fan

already have Seagat 250 16mb cache enterprise drive

already have Vista Business

Already have X-FI Xtreme music

Already have logitech G15 keyboard

Already have Razer Diamondback mouse

Already have 19" Viewsonic LCD with DVI

Not bad for a 1300$ upgrade.

Bout time you got rid of that old 6800GS you had! All you need to do is get a nice big widescreen monitor in place of your 19" to enjoy the full effect of that video card....unless you want to trade a couple of 7900GTXs for it? :P I'm a little envious to say the least.

Bout time you got rid of that old 6800GS you had! All you need to do is get a nice big widescreen monitor in place of your 19" to enjoy the full effect of that video card....unless you want to trade a couple of 7900GTXs for it? :P I'm a little envious to say the least.

Not sure yet if really want a widescreen and and it wasn't in the budget unless i wanted to lose my 8800GTX

at 1280x1024... imagine what kinda FPS i'll push even with everything on high.

The board i got also has 3 pci express 16x slots... 2 of which can be used in SLI... if a game comes out and my FPS is down... i can always get another (if i can get it past my wife that i need it lol)

As for my 6800GS... my wife will inherit it... it's well above anything she does online, like her flash games.

I'm curious how many games will recognize my 4 cores....hmm although I know Vista will love them.

Nice upgrade Roco. With the Intel price drop this week, I too am tempted by the Quad :drool:

Now all you're missing is to an upgrade to a 22" widescreen LCD! The new Viewsonic's with the built-in webcam are looking pretty sweet ...

Kingston KVR800D2N5k2/2gb 167.00

Asus PN532-E-SLI GREEN mainboard with 3 pci 16x slots 209.00

Evga Geforce 8800GTX 525.00$

Asus dvdrw 33$

Razer Exactmat mousepad 26.00

going into a thermaltake armor case with 250mm side fan

already have Seagat 250 16mb cache enterprise drive

already have Vista Business

Already have X-FI Xtreme music

Already have logitech G15 keyboard

Already have Razer Diamondback mouse

Not bad for a 1300$ upgrade.

Holy smokes. You should have no problem running a small country with that set up. I have parts coming in today and I'm extremely excited. w00t Here is what I have coming in:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor = $65

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) = $114 (after MIR)

Biostar Tforce 550 mobo = $69

Sony DVDRW (sata) = $32

7600 gt video card = $80

Case with 480 watt psu (one that doesn't look like it came from outer space) = $32

As you can tell I'm on a budget. I have absolutely no pc at the moment so this isn't really an "upgrade" as it is really just buying a whole new computer. Processor has a lot of potential for overclocking and i'm really looking forward to it. I'm happy I got a good gaming pc for around $400.

What PSU are you planning on using?

Currently I think the one i have is a thermal take 650... i'll have to check... I moved things around a lot but i think my bottom PS in the server is my antec 450. (I have 3 Pc's in that room and a laptop)

If i sli it later i probably will get a new PC. Until then though i should be good. (i'll tell you off my wifes ps if i smoke it LOL)

What PSU are you planning on using?

Currently I think the one i have is a thermal take 650... i'll have to check... I moved things around a lot but i think my bottom PS in the server is my antec 450. (I have 3 Pc's in that room and a laptop)

If i sli it later i probably will get a new PS. Until then though i should be good. (i'll tell you off my wifes ps if i smoke it LOL)

PARTS ARE HERE!!! It's like Christmas. I also got a couple unexpected bonuses. A copy of GRAW and Supreme Commander. I was bummed because last week they had Vegas for free with my CPU but now they no longer offer it. I was really looking forward to it but I'm just glad I got some games to test out the new hardware.

So how is the upgrade going?

Your post inspired me to retire my current (P4-P, 2GB PC2-4200) system and, for the first time, piece something together from the board up (QX6700, 2GB PC2-8500), and since I've ordered some of the same parts (MB, GPU, case) as yours it would be great if I could hit you up on some questions if/when I run into any snags.

So how is the upgrade going?

Your post inspired me to retire my current (P4-P, 2GB PC2-4200) system and, for the first time, piece something together from the board up (QX6700, 2GB PC2-8500), and since I've ordered some of the same parts (MB, GPU, case) as yours it would be great if I could hit you up on some questions if/when I run into any snags.

50-60fps in GRAW1 everything maxed and in Vista business 32bit. No lag at all and gameplay online has increased my kill count

In beta... lets just say add 30fps to that.

If you have any questions send away. Also i updated my mainboard to the latest bios and downloaded ntune although haven't messed with it yet.

Keep in mind that quad-cores are clocked slower than dual-cores so dual-cores currently outperform them. Actually, since I only game on my PC (and delete junk e-mails) I still haven't found any reason to buy a dual-core...except for the simple fact that a Core 2 Duo, in an of itself, would outperform my proc.

No regreats. Graw 1 is now at around 50-60fps with everything on high at 1280x1024... no overclock. As for Graw2 ... lets just say quad core is worth it and add 30fps ;)

Also both work in vista now. You could add probably 15 more fps if i were in XP with mature drivers

Chile's, dual core or core 2, or quad is nice for when your dead... alt tab to desktop and do whatever at full speed while the game is in the background. Also Vista ... is well... just ripping with these 4 cores.

Oh and stock temp is 34 degress celcius with a stock fan ... the board runs at 36-38 lol! During games i sometimes hit 43.

I haven't put on any artic silver though yet. I may next weekend. Card and processor.

BTW if you get an 8800GTX... make sure you have a big case! It's as big as the old voo doo 6600 and has a fan on it the size of a processor fan... just not as tall.

BTW if you get an 8800GTX... make sure you have a big case! It's as big as the old voo doo 6600 and has a fan on it the size of a processor fan... just not as tall.
I'm seriously thinking about putting in a support brace on the rear outside corner of the card, it just does not look safe way up there in PCIEX16_1.