Ruin's '69 Corvette Progress Thread

Ruin

My 1969 Convertible Chevy Corvette! And finally, after over a year and a half of waiting, She's Home! :) She spent most of her time in a body-repair shop in Massachusetts getting that lovely new coat, and then a friend picked her up, brought her to Connecticut and then, here she is!

Woohoo! First pics, taken by my girlfriend - I'll take better ones when I get home in a week. But for now, this is where she sleeps (a nice secure 10x20 unit, until the garage is cleaned out :blush: ):

***Click For Larger Images!

s59701712_30379907_6105.jpg

s59701712_30379911_7390.jpg

s59701712_30379912_7702.jpg

s59701712_30379915_8690.jpg

s59701712_30379918_9631.jpg

s59701712_30379920_265.jpg

s59701712_30379936_5664.jpg

Obviously, there's work to be done. And of course I'll keep you all updated with the progress! I'm hoping to do some basic reassembly that was needed for transport, and get the interior back together (although some parts not replaced) and cleaned up - she needs a bath.

*Oh, and yes, I did steal the title name from (IIRC) Crimson and XO. Thanks guys.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s a really nice car, congratulations.

I’ve always liked the corvettes; there is something about them that makes grown men cry.

In Australia they are expensive to buy, a fully restored one like this 1968 corvette is worth au$45.000.00

1818_1_m.jpg

1818_2_m.jpg

1818_5_m.jpg

1818_6_m.jpg

Please keep us posted with progress, good find, great buy, all the best. :thumbsup:

Edited by Metal_Jacket

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got to see her in person for the first time in almost a year and a half earlier today.

Wow.

I'm quite pleased. I can now give a bit of an update:

I have two different carbs for this thing, just need to get the proper one installed. This is especially nice seeing as I thought it didn't have a carb at all. Now I have two. :) The door panels are missing (odd) but no big deal. I can't for the life of me find where the battery is supposed to go on this thing. There's a thick layer of dust and grime on the inside, but I got some cleaning supplies today and am heading back tomorrow. I'd add more pics, but they're not on this PC yet. Anyway, I'm going to install the carb, add a battery and try to crank the sucker over to see what happens. The shifter feels quite nice, easily slipping from 1st through 4th gears - yumm. It's a bit hard for me to sit in, the steeringwheel is really low. I'm also having a hard time getting the top off, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I'm hoping to tow her home this weekend and get her out of the storage unit. If I do, I'll give some daylight pics of that gorgeous red paint.

Really.

Although, I like the AR too much, I might see if he'll take cash instead - or I'll buy an Oly Arms plinker and keep my DPMS.

Prozac, this has been in the works for over a year now - family heirloom.

Another update (pictures to come ASAP).

Got the inside nice and clean. There's some minor replacements to make her look mint, but overall I'm pleased. The interior looks soooo much better it's amazing.

I've decided to go with the Holley carb and will try to install this weekend. I'm starting from scratch seeing as I never removed to old carb to begin with.

Also, right now, I'm hitting random chrome pieces (windows, air filter etc) with some Turtle Wax polisher, it's taking the rust right off and works great, just takes time and energy.

Depending on what I do tomorrow, I'm hoping to spend a few more hours cleaning and working on some minor reassembly.

Just keeping my promise to keep you all informed.

Well, I finally got to see her in person for the first time in almost a year and a half earlier today.

Wow.

I'm quite pleased. I can now give a bit of an update:

I have two different carbs for this thing, just need to get the proper one installed. This is especially nice seeing as I thought it didn't have a carb at all. Now I have two. :) The door panels are missing (odd) but no big deal. I can't for the life of me find where the battery is supposed to go on this thing. There's a thick layer of dust and grime on the inside, but I got some cleaning supplies today and am heading back tomorrow. I'd add more pics, but they're not on this PC yet. Anyway, I'm going to install the carb, add a battery and try to crank the sucker over to see what happens. The shifter feels quite nice, easily slipping from 1st through 4th gears - yumm. It's a bit hard for me to sit in, the steeringwheel is really low. I'm also having a hard time getting the top off, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I'm hoping to tow her home this weekend and get her out of the storage unit. If I do, I'll give some daylight pics of that gorgeous red paint.

You might have to "pull" the motor. Just to be sure you get engine cleaned up. It looks like it has been sitting awhile. you'll more than likely have to regrease the bearings and what not. do you have access to a engine hoist? Just a suggestion though. you might want to strip the motor down to the block to clean the crankshaft and camshafts and the various other parts like your lifters.

one question on your great bargain, are you going to restore her as original? or will you go to your nearest speed shop and pick up things like Edelbrock intake manifold and such? the carbs, are they holley's? or original. sorry for so many questions, I'm just excited to watch your work on this. :thumbsup:

That's a really nice car, congratulations.

I've always liked the corvettes; there is something about them that makes grown men cry.

In Australia they are expensive to buy, a fully restored one like this 1968 corvette is worth au$45.000.00

<snip>

Please keep us posted with progress, good find, great buy, all the best. :thumbsup:

Sweet ride metal. Damn nice. did you do all the work yourself?

Papa6, unfortunately that corvette isn’t my car, I’ve always liked the look, and maybe one day I will be lucky enough to have the opportunity to own one just like the picture

When Ruin posted the pictures of his Vet it brought tears to my eyes, because in Australia to have the opportunity to find that type of car and restore it is rare.

It is very much appreciated that Ruin is keeping us up to date with progress, I understand that it will take time and money , but as they say “patients is a virtue “. :)

Papa6,

There's no way I'm pulling the motor. I'm first going to see if it runs as is. I see no reason it shouldn't, as it's got maybe 100 miles on a rebuilt 350 and was stored indoors. Pulling and disassembling the motor will be an absolute last resort, and if I go that far, it's coming out for a while so I can do a performance build on it. Right now, I just want to get the thing moving.

This thing used to be my grandfather's toy. In memory of him, and knowing how he was, I'm going to make this the meanest most bad ass street legal Vette this side of the Mississippi. If it had the original engine, I might consider a full restoration, but because it doesn't, I might as well have some fun with it.

I'm only 19, and have PLENTY of time to make her spit out gobs of horsepower. I'll keep dropping motors in this thing until there's no life left in her (or gasoline is no longer available on the market! :) ). She's already got an Edelbrock intake (not sure what type) and the carb I'm putting on is a Holley (again, not sure on the specs). Looks like I owe you all some photos. Give me some time and I'll get them up. I need to take pics of the nice new clean interior. Also of the cleaned up chrome (worked on the air filter last night... WOW!)

Metal Jacket,

No worries bud. I'll keep you all updated. It's also a nice little tracker for me too.

Okay, Pictures in bound....

this thread needs more pictures of skids, asap.

Battery, were the americans smart enough to put it in the boot in that era of car? I doubt it, but its worth a lewk....

Skids?

I was busier than I had hoped this weekend (looking for a job) and didn't make it down to my unit with the Vette in it. I'm going on a date tonight so I may or may not make it down there before hand to get updated pictures, we'll see. :)

In the mean time, enjoy these:

s59701712_30397936_5345.jpg

Carb on the right is the Holley that's going on.

s59701712_30397938_5820.jpg

s59701712_30397939_6044.jpg

s59701712_30397942_6717.jpg

s59701712_30397940_6263.jpg

s59701712_30397941_6487.jpg

s59701712_30397944_7198.jpg

s59701712_30397945_7429.jpg

s59701712_30397946_7703.jpg

I've done a lot of cleaning since these pics, so the new ones will be a lot better.

More pics, just for you all. Basically an updated on the cleaning and some "oooh, look at my sweet red paint" pics. Still, enjoy. Oh, and I've finally got a job now, so hopefully with a nightly influx of cash (I'm a waiter, no bad jokes) progress on the fun stuff will pick up. I'm hoping to relocate her to my garage in the coming week or two.

Enjoy!

s59701712_30398942_2757.jpg

s59701712_30398943_3055.jpg

s59701712_30398944_3323.jpg

s59701712_30398945_3562.jpg

s59701712_30398946_3793.jpg

s59701712_30398947_4030.jpg

s59701712_30398948_4263.jpg

s59701712_30398949_4499.jpg

s59701712_30398950_4780.jpg

s59701712_30398951_5017.jpg

Edited by Ruin

Papa6,

There's no way I'm pulling the motor. I'm first going to see if it runs as is. I see no reason it shouldn't, as it's got maybe 100 miles on a rebuilt 350 and was stored indoors. Pulling and disassembling the motor will be an absolute last resort, and if I go that far, it's coming out for a while so I can do a performance build on it. Right now, I just want to get the thing moving.

This thing used to be my grandfather's toy. In memory of him, and knowing how he was, I'm going to make this the meanest most bad ass street legal Vette this side of the Mississippi. If it had the original engine, I might consider a full restoration, but because it doesn't, I might as well have some fun with it.

I'm only 19, and have PLENTY of time to make her spit out gobs of horsepower. I'll keep dropping motors in this thing until there's no life left in her (or gasoline is no longer available on the market! :) ). She's already got an Edelbrock intake (not sure what type) and the carb I'm putting on is a Holley (again, not sure on the specs). Looks like I owe you all some photos. Give me some time and I'll get them up. I need to take pics of the nice new clean interior. Also of the cleaned up chrome (worked on the air filter last night... WOW!)

Metal Jacket,

No worries bud. I'll keep you all updated. It's also a nice little tracker for me too.

Okay, Pictures in bound....

I asked only because it has been sitting so long and parts rot ,rust and get old. Rubber parts need replacement, bearings need regreasing, not trying to bust your nuts but just asking. My friend has a small block Boss 302 in his dead fathers 70' Mustang Fastback. he pulled the power plant and bored the cylinders and cleaned the holley 4 barrel and the intake manifold and repainted the block and i think he bought new rocker assemblies, don't quote me though..

But hey great find and hope it gives you many miles and years of happy driving.

Papa6, ;) No worries. :D Like I said, if it needs to be done, I'll do it, but as a last resort. The block is already painted, which is nice. :hehe: Not sure if you can see it in the pics though.

Oh, and the carb and air cleaner are just mocked up. :) I'm sure someone will notice the rod connecting the two is too long, it hits the hood, haha.

Just a quick update...

I've been working my tail off and making some good money. I started a new work week yesterday and won't have off until Weds. Wow. Anyway, I've decided I'm going to try and sell both carbs I already have and just buy a brand new silver Holley 4160 600cfm Carb, a Holley Air Cleaner (the old one is kinda rough) and some Edelbrock Valve Covers. All told, $310 plus shipping. Not bad. I can make that this week.

A friend of mine owns a 1980 Coupe. He came to check mine out and said "Wow" so that makes me feel good. :) It was amazing to compare the difference and likeness between the two cars.

Here's a pic of his I took last year:

s59701712_30109148_7276.jpg

That's at a local Corvette car show we have here every year. I'd like to try and make it this summer, but it's on May 28, so it's not looking likely.

Edited by Ruin

• 3 weeks later...

Again, Just a Quick Update...

I've been busy at work, and paying for other things, so the Vette has been in storage, just chillin.

However, I've got good news! I'm now in possession of some money, which means in a day or two I'll be placing an order with Summit Racing for a 4bbl Holley Carb, A Holley Airfilter cover and Edelbrock Valve covers.

Also, I'll be moving her to the house in the coming days, which means some nice body shots soon. And of course, pics of the goods when they arrive.