Ruin's '69 Corvette Progress Thread

Ruin

Well done Ruin, well done. :thumbsup:

Looking at this post almost sent me out to buy another Vette (or a bike).

A Vette owner, AND a gun owner at such a young age? Keep your head on straight young man, and you could live quite a nice life.

Again, the Vette looks great, VERY nice. :thumbsup:

Oh, BTW, I used Griot's Garage fastshine to keep the pollen off. Once you have wax on the car, all you have to do is spray a little fastshine on the car and use a nice soft cotton cloth to wipe it down (make sure the cloth does not have nylon threads). The fastshine does not take the wax off, and you can use it fairly often.

Now once you drive the car in rain, then it will need a full wash, but for dust and pollen, the fastshine is the way to go. Also, make sure that you work small sections, as the fastshine should not be allowed to sit on the car, and work with it in the shade like you would wax.

Edited by FA sear

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sear,

Thanks for the compliments. :) Got the Vette, got a handful of guns (buying at least one more this summer - S&W M&P 9mm compact, yumm), got a bad ass PC, and a sweet camera. I'm pretty happy. Work hard to play hard though. I've also been very fortunate to find many of my toys at great prices or even for free (like the Vette was).

It's late, and I'm off to a party... tomorrow in the sunlight I'll go take some much better pics. Hoping to also clean up my interior and get it looking better too.

I'll look at Fast Shine. Part of my plans tomorrow (or soon) is to find the right stuff to keep her clean. Especially now that I'm moving and will no longer have a garage.

Sear,

Thanks for the compliments. :)

They are well deserved. :thumbsup:

Got the Vette, got a handful of guns (buying at least one more this summer - S&W M&P 9mm compact, yumm), got a bad ass PC, and a sweet camera. I'm pretty happy. Work hard to play hard though. I've also been very fortunate to find many of my toys at great prices or even for free (like the Vette was).

I just bought a RDIAS at half the market price, but I think I would rather have taken your Vette for free. Want to trade?

It's late, and I'm off to a party... tomorrow in the sunlight I'll go take some much better pics. Hoping to also clean up my interior and get it looking better too.

More pics of that car will always be welcome in my book. :thumbsup:

I'll look at Fast Shine. Part of my plans tomorrow (or soon) is to find the right stuff to keep her clean. Especially now that I'm moving and will no longer have a garage.

Ouch, I would hate to leave a car like that exposed to the elements. My Vette rarely ever saw water (except for the occassional wash) as I mostly cleaned it with the fastshine.

Unfortunately I don't have a choice. I have to move, and my apartment just doesn't allow for much vehicle storage. As it is, I'm parking my Jeep across the street because I only have two parking spots (one for me and my roommate). I'll get a fitted cover for it when I move, but I'm going to have to make do for a few years. These past few days is the first time she's been in the water also.

It's finally cleared up here in the past hour or so. It's kinda cool though, so maybe tomorrow I'll get to giving her a bath and taking more pics. The back window is oxidized and needs cleaning or replacing, so I don't like to drive with the top off.

For an RDIAS? I think you'd need to give me a M240B, M249, M2, MK19, M60, and a couple FA M4s for me to even start to consider a trade. :) This girl is priceless in my book.

Unfortunately I don't have a choice. I have to move, and my apartment just doesn't allow for much vehicle storage. As it is, I'm parking my Jeep across the street because I only have two parking spots (one for me and my roommate). I'll get a fitted cover for it when I move, but I'm going to have to make do for a few years. These past few days is the first time she's been in the water also.

Well, I guess you can't have it all, on top of all the nice toys.

For an RDIAS? I think you'd need to give me a M240B, M249, M2, MK19, M60, and a couple FA M4s for me to even start to consider a trade. :) This girl is priceless in my book.

I hear you. In all seriousness though, I have left the fast cars/bikes in my past, but still don't mind looking at them.

It's the joys of being young, single, and childless... I can have the toys. :) I'm looking at getting rid of the Jeep soon and replacing it with a smaller more fuel efficient vehicle - it costs me my drill pay + $50 just to go to and from drill. And use around town... forget it. Looking at getting a cheap fuel efficient gas saver.

It's the joys of being young, single, and childless... I can have the toys. :) I'm looking at getting rid of the Jeep soon and replacing it with a smaller more fuel efficient vehicle - it costs me my drill pay + $50 just to go to and from drill. And use around town... forget it. Looking at getting a cheap fuel efficient gas saver.

motorcycle, like you said.

It's the joys of being young, single, and childless...

Well, not really the issues for me. I am just not willing to risk losing everything I have in my life for the sake of speed. I have already gone 165 on a bike, 140+ in a car, and at this time, I'm not willing to take that risk anymore. I have had my 435hp 12.1 sec 1/4 mile Vette, and a 165hp 9.8 1/4 mile bike. I figure that I have had my fun, and now it is your turn. :)

Oh, so you mean young and stupid? :hehe: I figure I'll get my kicks in while I can. I can only feel invincible for so long... right? :) I love it, and love learning stuff along the way. I'm really excited to do an engine rebuild towards the end of the year, but I've got a lot of reading to do first.

New pictures! Yay!

Gave her a good bucket wash yesterday. Took my time (about 4 hours) and cleaned, polished, waxed and polished the chrome on her. Still some Chrome work left to do today (example pic), but I'm very pleased. I might do the Jeep like this also. Hmmn... Anyway, took over 20 pics, here are some - pics taken around 4pm and 7:30pm.

Enjoy!

Link to Additional Images!

2457004304_75e7ff6f77.jpg

2457011030_1b6b0ab14a.jpg

2456185833_59e5d40908.jpg

2457025306_0be26c7811.jpg

Yes... I cut the grass...

Oh... car care used: Turtle Wax Ice Car Wash, Meguiar's Polish and Caranauba Wax, Mother's Chrome Polish, and a garden hose. :) Used Microfiber towels for everything. I prefer them to terry cloths.

Oh, so you mean young and stupid? :hehe: I figure I'll get my kicks in while I can. I can only feel invincible for so long... right? :) I love it, and love learning stuff along the way. I'm really excited to do an engine rebuild towards the end of the year, but I've got a lot of reading to do first.

Just don't go overboard with the stupid. :lol:

An engine rebuild? Take a lesson in preventive measures. I knew a guy that had a 68' convertible. He blew his motor and cracked his block. Killed the value of his car. Buy a nice block and do a build on another motor. When the build is done, swap engines, put the original engine in storage (in an oiled bag of course), and enjoy the high power build without any worries. You just never know, freaky things can happen. The engine rebuild was done by a very reputable shop, but it turned out that the aftermarket crank from the factory was weak. Even the best manufacturers occassionaly turns out a lemon, so I would save the original motor and do the build on a block from a place like Summit Racing or whatever other source you would prefer. In my time, I have met too many classic car owners that forgot that one principle of never using the original block. Those serial numbers are worth their weight in gold.

Gave her a good bucket wash yesterday. Took my time (about 4 hours) and cleaned, polished, waxed and polished the chrome on her. Still some Chrome work left to do today (example pic), but I'm very pleased. I might do the Jeep like this also. Hmmn... Anyway, took over 20 pics, here are some - pics taken around 4pm and 7:30pm.

Enjoy!

:thumbsup: What more is there to really say? Vettes have always been my absolute favorite. Even though I never owned a classic (I always preferred the modern suspensions, brakes, etc... of the latest generation Vettes) I have a great love for them.

Grimey, I appreciate it. :) It's a great car and just too much fun to drive. It really starts to open up at about 3000RPMs and just goes nuts at about 5oooRPMs. Loads of fun, makes my passenger grab on tight, they love it.

Sear,

I think I'm done with my unneccessary quantity of stupid. Sure, I've got some left, but not too much. :)

A rebuild would be a lot of fun, especially because I know little of engines. It's something I've always wanted to learn, and I figure I have to start somewhere, might as well earn some new HP on my toy too. I figured I'd yank and store the old engine. I figure if I'm going to put that kind of money in to an engine, I might as well get a brand spanking new one too.

I also agree with you 100% about protecting those numbers. If, hopefully never, the day came I had to sell, I'd rebuild the old block, drop it in, and then sell it with 0 miles on the rebuild.

Once I get back from AT I'm going to get some books and reading material to start learning what I can. I figure I'll do my research between now and December, and hope to get parts ordered by January. That's hoping though, there's no way to predict exactly. I'd love to make it a Winter project.

Vettes have always been my absolute favorite.

I've wanted a '69 Convertible for as long as I knew what one was. It's been my dream car since childhood. Now I own one... that drives. It's a great feeling every time I get in it. Now to get some real juice in it, and get it back in to car shows.

Made a very cool connection through the ARNG today that I'm really hoping pans out. But I'll probably keep this a secret. It could be very costly, but if I can get it done, it would make my Vette one of the most bad-ass ones in the state. :devil: I'm pretty psyched.

Made a very cool connection through the ARNG today that I'm really hoping pans out. But I'll probably keep this a secret. It could be very costly, but if I can get it done, it would make my Vette one of the most bad-ass ones in the state. :devil: I'm pretty psyched.

Nice, I will keep an eye out on this thread. Let us all know how things work out. :thumbsup:

Man have things changed around here...

Anyway, nice to see someone else has a project car. Are those new wheels Cragars? If not, they look a lot like them. Beautiful old classic. Maybe I will get my hands on a piece of Mopar history some day and make it just as nice.

Thanks Rook. Not Cragars, Pacers. Looks just as good an pretty cheap. Once I run out of things to do on it, then I'll replace them with something nicer.

Taking her down to the shop today, as I leave for Camp Shelby tomorrow AM. Looking to have some minor repairs done so she runs smoother until I can rebuild the engine.

Speak of... I got my first batch of books in the mail yesterday regarding engine building. I'm trying to learn all I can so I can do my own performance build. Seems like way too much fun, but I'm starting from scratch. Hoping to start actual work in the winter.