Preview Fragland.net

You wanted a challenge and you are getting it big time.

Quick saves are for run and gun - and we got no room for that in GRAW.

:thumbsup: Sounds like it's just what the Doctor ordered to fix you up if your suffering from MOH-CODitis. :lol:

Bo,

The previewer has stated that there are no quick saves and there is a check-point  save system. You guys seem to have a solid logic behind everything you do and it becomes easier for us to understand when you state that reason. So, would you please tell us why the quick save system has been omitted ?  Thank you.  :)

p.s - I very often sit down to play for a short time, after a hard day's work, and is in a relaxing mood and my concentration is not at it's fullest. It is at times such as these that the quick saves are needed.

Yepp. Quick saves kills the supsense and the need to act tactically. This is not a trial and error game - this is thinking on your feet. You wanted a challenge and you are getting it big time.

And the argument that I have a life out side GRAW is a good one but NO. The real thing here is that as the AI acts a bit different all the time you will have a refreshed gameing experience form each time you load. Quick saves are for run and gun - and we got no room for that in GRAW.

ummm... only one word is sufficient, HOOAH. cant wait til release!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmmm, perhaps quicksaves were omitted because the wondrous, finally released, Ghost Recon 3 **AHEM** I mean Advanced Warfighter is simply a console port, and the death of a fantastic, dedicated PC franchise. Seems to be the demise of most current PC games. We should all just buy XBOX 360s and call it a day.

I'm personally sickened that this game has been so muddled up. No longer can you control multiple squads. No longer can you jump in and control from man to man, no longer do you automatically spawn into the body of your comrade when you're killed. Pretty much every concept that made the original GR so cool and different has been omitted. Oh, except co-op play. Frankly I'm amazed it made it in!

Oh, but at least there's physics! I think I'll take gameplay over that any day.

As for my comments to the developers? Do a search on Google for "Far Cry" + "quick saves" and read what PC gamers have to say about checkpoint saves. Do you guys even play PC games?

Of course, this is not even a case of over-expectations. I expect a game to be at least "As good" as its predecessor. Not worse. Pretty graphics though. And nice campy first person dialogue. Makes you feel like youre right there in the middle of a cheesy Jerry Bruckheimer flick.

Has the Grin team even ever played the [Ghost Recon]? It seems not. If I were Tom Clancy I'd remove my name from this franchise.

Edited by badhonkey

Hmmmm, perhaps quicksaves were omitted because the wondrous, finally released, Ghost Recon 3 **AHEM** I mean Advanced Warfighter is simply a console port, and the death of a fantastic, dedicated PC franchise. Seems to be the demise of most current PC games. We should all just buy XBOX 360s and call it a day.

I'm personally sickened that this game has been so muddled up. No longer can you control multiple squads. No longer can you jump in and control from man to man, no longer do you automatically spawn into the body of your comrade when you're killed. Pretty much every concept that made the original GR so cool and different  has been omitted. Oh, except co-op play. Frankly I'm amazed it made it in!

Oh, but at least there's physics! I think I'll take gameplay over that any day.

As for my comments to the developers? Do a search on Google for "Far Cry" + "quick saves" and read what PC gamers have to say about checkpoint saves. Do you guys even play PC games?

Of course, this is not even a case of over-expectations. I expect a game to be at least "As good" as its predecessor. Not worse. Pretty graphics though. And nice campy first person dialogue. Makes you feel like youre right there in the middle of a cheesy Jerry Bruckheimer flick.

Has the Grin team even ever played the [Ghost Recon]? It seems not. If I were Tom Clancy I'd remove my name from this franchise.

Ahhh another one of the "I didn't get a GR1 with updated grafics" cry babies"!!!

Honostly, get over it. Game is great as it is. Does it need improvements? yes it does. Will GRIN listen to what issues/improvements could be done?. I got no doubt they will.

Honostly this is getting tireing to listen to all the kids coming in claiming cause THEY played Ghost Recon 1 they are the self proclaimed expert on how this one should look right out of the box.

No game is perfect on release, GRIN did what they saw best in their eyes when they developed the game, but that doesn't mean they wont change how things are in the game if people as a general think it needs a change does it?

How many patches did GR1 get? correct me if I'm wrong but even GR1 was not the game it is today when it was released.

Just cause you remember GR1 in what way and you might have gotten a surtain set of tools out of the box with GR1 doesnt mean you wont get it with GR:AW in it's updates.

GRIN has said updates/improvements will be made including Mod tools, so what else can you ask for?

You could have gotten the game with no after support what so ever. Would that suit you better?

I suggest you go out with a few friends and enjoy your youth insted of letting petty things bother you like it's the end of your world you didn't get "EXCACTLY" what you want out of the box?

You can't really be that naive to think that would happend do you?

Dawn

Its not a console port? For which hardware did GRAW release over a month ago? The PC? For which hardware did Ghost Recon 2 release on? The PC? I don't recall a lot of "FPS simulation" PC games that state "GAME OVER" when you die.

GRAW did nothing new to improve the genre or the GR Franchise. I'm surprised that the members of this site, who used to be die hard Ghost Recon fans, stand so united behind this game.

Also, it's not a whine... it's a rant. To stimulate conversation. Tell me what's great about the game then instead of simply labeling me as a whiner because I think GRAW missed the mark.

And to state that games are never perfect when they release and are always improved later? COME ON! Updates are mostly cosmetic, bug fixes, maybe new maps or vehicles -- not core feature additions.

And i'm hardly a kid "coming in claiming cause THEY played Ghost Recon 1." Give me a break. If that was the case I'd be touting console games, not bashing them ... Tossing my GRAW box next to my Final Fantasy MCMLXVII box, you know, which probably also states GAME OVER when you die :)

Badhonkey is Absolutely Right "you die GAME OVER?"

You all will say "well its more realistic " I was in the military for 8 years if i want that realistic i would go back to the military....i dont play pc games to die and have to sit for long reloads all day long i want a reset!! i want to die and then get up dust myself off and get back into the game asap!!!

i also found that my squad didnt listen to me have the time i would be

up in a fire fight and there happy asses were back around the corner picking their noses!!!damn it!!

I did not play the previous versions of GR but i have played many

war type tactical games and i must say im just havent been very impressed

with this game..oh yes great graphics but thats were my enthusiasm ends

for this game....well i guess i'll just go back and play some PONG! till someone else gets it right!

badhonkey, sorry you do not like the game, I hope you did not buy it and played the demo. If you didn't~ your at fault.

by your logic right? you can't change what the game is through patches...so whats the point of complaining now? Your a tad bit late...Save your "enthusiams" for GR4 then.

Sorry, alot of us do like the game, and we will stand behind it.

Interesting Facts before you go shouting everywhere.

+UBISOFT controls release DATES

+GRiN Develops the game within that time frame.

+Xbox 360 Had TWO teams working on it (thats why it has more options)

+This is not a port, if you say it is then I'm just going with ignorance on this one.

+Ghost Recon: Advance WarFighter has only been in development for 1.5 years

Do you understand how short that is? That is not ample time to develop a game to perfection at all, yet GRiN managed to give us a great product.

Your Gripes are with UBISOFT for giving them such a short date, and only one months extention. So please direct your "Rants" towards them future refrence =)

It's like yelling at the other team when a Reff made a bad call! Hello WRONG PERSON.

badhonkey, sorry you do not like the game, I hope you did not buy it and played the demo. If you didn't~ your at fault.

by your logic right? you can't change what the game is through patches...so whats the point of complaining now? Your a tad bit late...Save your "enthusiams" for GR4 then.

Sorry, alot of us do like the game, and we will stand behind it.

Interesting Facts before you go shouting everywhere.

+UBISOFT controls release DATES

+GRiN Develops the game within that time frame.

+Xbox 360 Had TWO teams working on it (thats why it has more options)

+This is not a port, if you say it is then I'm just going with ignorance on this one.

+Ghost Recon: Advance WarFighter has only been in development for 1.5 years

Do you understand how short that is? That is not ample time to develop a game to perfection at all, yet GRiN managed to give us a great product.

Your Gripes are with UBISOFT for giving them such a short date, and only one months extention. So please direct your "Rants" towards them future refrence =)

It's like yelling at the other team when a Reff made a bad call! Hello WRONG PERSON.

Good point XENO, but I still like to shout everwhere without thinking.

Perhaps "port" was an inaccurate term. I was referring to the Microsoft XNA framework which stimulates simultaneous development for both PC and XBOX. Since consoles are obviously the big sellers, I would only assume that development teams will favor their development first, and with more resources. Of course, this puts an interesting clamp on PC features which to me is very unfortunate and evident in more and more recently released PC games. Control is beginning to become limited (almost as if due to the fact that a default console controller has fewer buttons), gameplay and simulation depth is dwindling, and it seems that the PC gamer is getting the shaft more and more frequently.

Like you said the XBOX360 had 2 development teams. Yet PC gamers are those who defined the Tom Clancy genre. I just feel strongly that this game should have at least maintained the core features of the [Ghost Recon] as opposed to completely abandoning them. I'll concede its a good game, cool graphics, physics, etc. But maybe it should have been called something else. Seems like distributors are merely cashing in on franchise names to help sell which is just wrong (e.g. "Close Combat: First to Fight" had nothing to do with the Close Combat franchise but was still a good game).

HOWEVER, the lack of a quicksave is just unacceptable for any PC game. Why not add spawn options, quicksave options, etc. to the game options so that players can choose how they wish to play. Its not about strategy and challenge, its about being able to leave the game at dinner time without having to play the entire leg since your last checkpoint over. That's simply just not fun.

--

BH