What kind of video card do you have?

Snake@War

Doesent matter if you ask me warcloud, If you bought an ATI you are doomed to crummy driver issues and performance problems.

pfft shove that in your a.rse. Just because yours broke and you kept going back to that sheltered workshop computer store doesnt mean all the cards are crap.

Doesent matter if you ask me warcloud, If you bought an ATI you are doomed to crummy driver issues and performance problems.

pfft shove that in your a.rse. Just because yours broke and you kept going back to that sheltered workshop computer store doesnt mean all the cards are crap.

One, I think that comment was a bit uncalled for.

Two, I think ATI sucks as well, but it isn't because of the hardware. The cards themselves are great. ATI just needs to get off their ass, and write some decent software and firmware for them.

In the 16 years I have been in this profession, ATI has never written a decent driver, let alone one that wasn't bloated all to hell with unnecessary BS.

Also, their compatability with other vendors SUCKS, and always has. They are to damn proprietary to release their drivers even to the Linux community, for goodness sake, and tht would give them one helluva boost if they did.

You know what ATI is? They are the Mac of the video card world. They always will be until they smarten up. And if they ever did write a decent driver, I think I'd fall over.

But we don't need to go around telling people to shove stuff up there ###### on a game forum. It's just a tad inappropriate.

Ya know, raw number wise, Macs outperform PC's. They have always been more efficient. But everyone doesn't own one, now do they?

It's the same with ATI. They may initially bench a bit higher, but the truth isn't solely in the benches and the numbers. It's also in the compatability, and the efficiency. And in those two categories, ATI is the loser, just like Apple. For the same reasons, in fact. :wall:

Edited by Specter

Cant you keep your ######ing mouth shut? You already get off without a slap on the wrist whenever you do anything wrong, starting crap with everyone that disagrees with you. It isnt just my experience that ATI or theyre "software" If you can call it that sucks anyway.

Edited by Foxtrot23

Guys!Guys!Guys!

See the topic title?

What kind of video card?

Not what your opinion on the matter.

This ATI vs nVidia/Pentium vs AMD camp issue is getting old.

Post your opinion(s)/experience(s) on the product(s) is one thing, but attacking a post is another.

Stop it already.

Tell us where you can get the videocard cheap. Period.

Next topic already.

:thumbsup: OK?

Dude... the X1800XT is ok really, i'm on CCC 6.2. It's catalyst Control Centre, takes too long to load, maybe i'm a bit impatient. I had problems with Ghost Recon and Raven Shield and it turned out to be the settings in CCC

I just gave the CCC 6.1 a whirl before reformating my computer with an X800XT, and it still slows things down, so I'm sticking with the 5.12 drivers which you can get with the ATI Control Panel 5.12 for now.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1276

I always use vanilla ATI drivers without any probs (and Omega's are good too) Just avoid the CCC and stick with the ATI Control Panel.

ATI's drivers have come a long way in the last 2-3 years. They were lousy before the Catalyst program started, but ATI's commitment to monthly WHQL driver updates is impressive. I just wish they wouldn't just put the CCC on their website and let ppl still download the Control Panel.

Warcloud, the X1800XT is basically the same chip in the Xbox 360. Chances are, your system is limited by your CPU, not your graphics card.

For the record i have a crappy video card but alot of everything else to support it.

ATI Radeon 9250, no i did NOT want it, but i got it for free so oh well.

Soon to come will be a Nvidia Geforce 6xxx series or above (but probably 6600 or GT version AGP)

And if anyone buys an ATI, to have any chance use Omega drivers, and ignore what some people may say :rolleyes: .

Edited by Foxtrot23

You know what ATI is?  They are the Mac of the video card world.  They always will be until they smarten up.  And if they ever did write a decent driver, I think I'd fall over.

Ya know, raw number wise, Macs outperform PC's.  They have always been more efficient.  But everyone doesn't own one, now do they?

I'm going to throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth.

First of all, ATI does write a decent driver for Windows (I can't say anything about Linux). I'm not sure if you realize that their driver is seperate from the Control Panel/CCC.

ATI's Control Panel is fully featured and stable, even allowing for some overclocking. The main problem is with ATI's Catalyst Control Center like I mentioned above.

With all due respect to Specter, I am curious when is the last time you gamed with a high-end ATI card for a significant amount of time?

I don't think anyone can fairly compare ATI and Nvidia unless they use cards and drivers from both companies on a REGULAR basis. I have over the past years (esp. after the demise of 3dfx) at various times owned and gamed with both Nvidia (Riva 128, TNT, TNT2 Model 64, GeForce 2 MX, GeForce 3 (original), GeForce 5200 & 5700, and now a GeForce 6800GT) and ATI (Radeon 7200, 7500, 9800 Pro, X800XT PE - there's really no point even mentioning their pre-Radeon chips LOL).

Both companies have their strengths and weaknesses, and have taken turns pulling out in front of the horserace at various times, but in the end the main thing is that your graphics chip plays the games you need it to. Game devs would be crazy not to support chips from both of these companies, so compatibility on the Windows platform is basically a moot point these days.

The other point is you get what you pay for. I would NEVER recommend a Radeon 9250 to anyone who was a serious gamer. There's no way you can compare a 9250 with chips at the mid-range (like the GF 6600) or high end. It's like complaining your $99 GameCube can't keep up with a $400 Xbox 360.

Finally, I don't know anytime Macs outperformed the highest-end PC at a given point in time. If you look at Apple's marketing benchmarks, you may be fooled by their PR. I think the only major benchmark the Mac routinely beats a PC is in Photoshop, but that's because the Mac version of the app is optimized for the Mac platform.

Yeah i dont reccomend the Radeon 9250 to anyone besides the people in offices or arent very serious gamers either, like i said, i got it for free and didnt have anything else laying around.

I give up comparing companies anymore anyway, because all it does is lead to a war.

Edited by Foxtrot23

Both vendors manufacture great gfx chips.

My X1800XT 512MB, great gaming card, ccc is slow at boot up and you have to tweak the ccc's settings to get the best from gaming, it's a pain in the rear but that's the way it is with PC gaming, and it's the same with nvidias control panel settings and CoolBits, other than that it's ok.

My 6800GT 256MB AGP (sold) great gaming card, obviously not as fast as the fudo, i have had issues with nvidia drivers in the past, other than that they are ok.

I was gonna buy the G70, 7800GTX 256MB but the X1800XT was faster in BF2 at the time, plus an extra 256MB onboard memory on the X1800XT.

So i don't favour one manufacturer over the other, both teams make great graphics cards, expensive but good enough. Thing is... ATI and Nvidia churn out gfx card after gfx card for the PC and yet how many great games (and i mean realy great games) do game developers/companys chuck out each year? not many realy A. My next graphics card may be a Nvidia card?, who knows.

Last year November, with a 9800 Pro that I bought the year before.

Macs have always been more efficient in the way they use RAM and processor power. They have always been faster when it comes to graphics. The PPC architecture has always been faster.

The Mac's problems were always with it's proprietary nature. The same thing with ATI's drivers.