I Hate to harp on about this but.......

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ This is it. We're not going to get everything the way we want and I know for one I'd be really dissapointed if we get a game that isn't technically advanced as possible.

Personally GRIN would be well aware that some kind of anti cheat messures need to be put in place to allow GRAW online gaming to grow and continue to that way for the next couple of years at least. So you'd hope that they have got something in place to replace the need for having replays. Only time will tell....

i am convinced that the physics objects are added by choice or not to the maps, and if thats the case then for the purposes of MP, you just add objects which would in SP be physical in nature, while for MP you use a static object. you get the same gameplay wihtout the bells and whistles and you get the replays. everyone is happy...lovely.

i am convinced that the physics objects are added by choice or not to the maps, and if thats the case then for the purposes of MP, you just add objects which would in SP be physical in nature, while for MP you use a static object.  you get the same gameplay wihtout the bells and whistles and you get the replays.  everyone is happy...lovely.

Im not happy with that at all.

No me neither. The idea of someone being able to hide behind a bombed out car and never get hurt is highly irritating. If it was bombed out once before, why can't I blow it up again?

And the physic aspect of GRAW is one of the major plus points for this game, so I'd personally want this to be included in the matches without a doubt.

^

.......... . So you'd hope that they have got something in place to replace the need for having replays.  Only time will tell....

Thank you fro making my point so exactly Cobblers, why if it is only 2 months to release date are we using terms like this, how about GRIN (not time) tells us about the AC, so we can all stop "hoping" about it and start having our faster links installed in antisipation of the "blessed event"...........

And for the record, what good will all the "heavy physics" be in 6 months time,when all the casual players have moved on to another game, and no-one wants to play it online because it is getting hacked as badly as GR1 is now?.

Shades of GR2 for PC starting to creep in here....... why is GrIN so shy about it??

OPEN QUESTION TO GRIN: All I am asking for is a straight answer.........AC - yes or no?.

JF.

Look, I can understand your frustration, but they simply aren't going to release information just like that. Even the xbox 360 version is being treated the in the same way.

For my job I sell software and hardware to people who are visually impaired. Even in this market, which in comparison to games software is extremely small and rather slow in how the speed of the technology is progressing, but even still, details on new versions etc are rarely given out too soon before the release. The reasons for this are endless and ones that I can completely understand, jeez, I think we would all be the same was it our business.

So right now it's a matter of sitting tight and wait. News is trickling out slowly; maybe not the news you want to hear right now, but it is happening.

We will all know soon enough.

Shades of GR2 for PC starting to creep in here....... why is GrIN so shy about it??

OPEN QUESTION TO GRIN:  All  I am asking for is a straight answer.........AC - yes or no?.

JF.

Can you imagine a reason a company would want to be quiet about it's plan with regards to cheaters?

Imagine a cop setting up a speed trap, but putting a sign 100' before it saying "speed trap ahead". Doesn't make much sense to advertise the method you are using to prevent those who enjoy circumventing from doing their thing, to the circumventors, does it?

It's for this reason that WhiteKnight77's report did not discuss AC technology, and it's for this reason GRIN won't be popping by to answer it anytime soon.

Imagine a cop setting up a speed trap, but putting a sign 100' before it saying "speed trap ahead".  Doesn't make much sense to advertise the method you are using to prevent those who enjoy circumventing from doing their thing, to the circumventors, does it?

I take it you don't live in the UK then?

I take it you don't live in the UK then?

I moved from the Manchester area to southern Ontario in the late 70's. ;)

Of course, that's another good point. The UK also has a vast network of cameras (think GR1's replays) so it doesn't matter if you advertise your technology... everyone is already being watched in the first place.

Take away the cameras, and it suddenly makes sense to be quiet about security again, as nobody knows what to expect.

@ Dannik - Ah representing Moss Side then eh?! :D

But that is a good point, your one about advertsising the fact of which anti cheat measures GRIN decide to put into place. It would be suicide to do so too early.

What ever happens I'm confident something will be put into place. Although don't expect anything to stop cheaters from getting their way, it's a fact of life for online gamers. If you can't live with it, maybe it's time to stick with SP.

Let's suppose that tomorrow anti-cheat measures are released to the public. By the time the game comes out, cheats that circumvent those very measures are put into play. Do you want cheats available the very day the game comes out? I don't know about anyone else, but I don't.

Now lets suppose that replays are available. Now remember that file sizes are huge, in the GB range. Now with the physics involved, say I fire an AT weapon and blow down a wall, but the replay, even though it recorded everything, only shows a small hole being blown in that same wall. Do you think that those reviewing said replay know that the gamer you killed on the opposite side of said wall actually was blown completely down? Replay shows someone surviving and they challenged you for cheating. The replay shows that you didn't really kill your enemy. Do you really want that?

GRIN and Ubi both know what is going on. While Bo didn't come right out and say it, I can tell that right now, anti-cheat technology is being held close to the vest to keep cheaters guessing what will be used to keep them at bay.

Just hold tight and you will understand when the time is right.

Imagine a cop setting up a speed trap, but putting a sign 100' before it saying "speed trap ahead".  Doesn't make much sense to advertise the method you are using to prevent those who enjoy circumventing from doing their thing, to the circumventors, does it?

Heh, you've been out of the UK too long, that is exactly what they do here now LOL!

If there is a mobile speed trap out, they have to put a sign up in advance to warn motorists. For fixed placement gatso camera's, they have to be painted bright colours so drivers can see them, and are placed after "Speed Cameras" signs erected at the road side.

Sorry to go OT, but not sure if that practise is mirrored in other parts of the world.

Heh, you've been out of the UK too long, that is exactly what they do here now LOL!

If there is a mobile speed trap out, they have to put a sign up in advance to warn motorists. For fixed placement gatso camera's, they have to be painted bright colours so drivers can see them, and are placed after "Speed Cameras" signs erected at the road side.

Sorry to go OT, but not sure if that practise is mirrored in other parts of the world.

Cameras for traffic enforcement have to be marked here in the US too. The city of Charlotte North Carolina has 200 intersections marked with signs that the cameras are in use, but not all intersections have a camera in the box, they are moved around the city randomly. One never knows which intersection actually has a camera. Red light runners have decreased some 60-80%. They have them here in Georgia too.

See, it is possible to create a cheat-proof game. No need for an anti-cheat, or replays, any of that stuff.

I'd explain it, but then the idea would be in the hands of those who create cheats, and they just have to be slightly more clever than I, in order to figure a work-around.

Perhaps GRIN is working on a system similar to the one I am thinking of. It's innovative enough that the regular cheat makers would have a very difficult time figuring out how it works. If I explained the premise of my idea now, the script kiddies would already know what to look for.

You see desertranger12, as Papa says, there are 2 differant types of players for this game:

1) Single player peeps who just want to play it as a bit of fun.

AND

2) Hard core gamers who play it in leagues with ladders etc for hardcore fun!! lol.

And people like me who want to play online in pick-up games and not be fearful of cheaters and griefers. I have not had as much fun in any online shooter as I did in GR1 before the neon skins, lollipop guns and wallhacks were abound. I even resorted to using the same cheats just so I could continue to play the game once I got too fed up. This of course didn't last very long as my guilt with taking advantage of the non-cheaters cancelled out most of the revenge joy I was getting.

I have 3 hopes:

The game has the "feel" of GR1

There is a big enough community to keep the game going online for a very long time.

Cheating will occur in less than 1% of games I play.

And people like me who want to play online in pick-up games and not be fearful of cheaters and griefers.  I have not had as much fun in any online shooter as I did in GR1 before the neon skins, lollipop guns and wallhacks were abound.  I even resorted to using the same cheats just so I could continue to play the game once I got too fed up.  This of course didn't last very long as my guilt with taking advantage of the non-cheaters cancelled out most of the revenge joy I was getting.

I have 3 hopes:

The game has the "feel" of GR1

There is a big enough community to keep the game going online for a very long time.

Cheating will occur in less than 1% of games I play.

Well, if you want to play on a cheat free server and with a bunch of good people, try my hosted games or the GR.net dedicated server.

I don't want to sound wierd but here I go.

PC games and the internet are alot alike, there are those who make them and those who try to break them or abuse and ruin a good thing.

but being able to ban people who cheat is great. pretty soon they can only play on crappy servers like UBI...(UBI take no offense please) but I get lag out my ###### when I play on those servers.