Afghanistan

Here is a website about Operation Enduring Freedom: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sh...n/etc/cron.html

If you want to read an excerpt from a book about Afghanistan, check this out: Barnes & Noble.com: The Hunt for Bin Laden

:wacko:

I recommend reading The Hunt for Bin Laden by Robin Moore so you can understand the soldiers and their missions. ;):rocky:

Edited by TEXA$

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half of what you read "The Hunt for Bin Laden" is over done BS. While it gives a good over view, I wouldn't look at it as the bible of what US Army SF has been doing in Afghanistan. The book always gives a WHOLE LOT of credit to Keith "Jack" Idema, who is one of the most hated names within the US Army SF community. I've lost a lot of respect for Robin Moore after reading this book.

Thats kind words, comin from the man who has helped me with 90% of my models, TY very much Mac :D And ty Texas for the info, and Delta, as far as u, Delta could be spying on ur house, lol. Seriously, U DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOIN!!!!!!! no one does, except for the operators themself.

Hey Marcinko,

The mod is lookin good and you are getting better and better at modeling. I was wondering if you were gonna have a standard 1911 .45 and if u still need ideas for missions. And, if you wanna put in a bonus mission...Kill Heraldo Riverra would be a great one. :o= I got great ideas for missions. just let me know if u want em. my msn is viper4567@msn.com

CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT :wall:

KRAP, srry JTF, saw ur post, and didnt respond, lets leave the 203 shell holders, and the mag holders, the color of the vest, and the flack part, well, do er 3 color desert, well see how she looks. And yes, i think i will include a standard 1911, 1911 is my fav pistol, so what if it's outdated, and only holds 7-8 rnds, its a .45, lol. i got a couple more ideas for missions, and DANGIT!!, still gotta learn how to do maps, we got a ways before this ones a comin. :(

I've got an idea for a mission that I'm sure you've probably already thought of but, I'll post it anyways "just in case...".

Please excuse my ignorance for not recalling names and/or exact particulars of this story as I don't mean to disrespect. Please excuse my spelling errors as well...

During the US attacks on Afgan., CNN did a (inbedded) reporter's story that centered around two (2) US CIA operatives who were responsible for taking in the surrender of Al-Queda soldiers at a location in the desert that resembled a fortress of some sorts. Literally, truckloads of Al-Queda soldiers were being brought in and being disarmed, and it was quite apparent to an observer that the 2 CIA ops were clearly out-numbered (even with about a dozen or so Northern Allaiance soldiers there in support).

Each Al-Queda member was taken aside individually, searched and interregated and processed. It was during this operation that the American (I'm very sorry for not remembering his name) traitor was found.

Shortly thereafter, one of the prisoners triggered a grenade he'd hidden on himself and unfortunately one of the CIA operatives was killed.

All hell broke loose and the prisoners scrambled to recover whatever weapons they could find. They ran into the fortress and took control of it. The aftermath consisted of called in airstrikes, the flooding of an underground area where about 50 prisoners took reffuge in hiding, and numerous other types of attacks that included Northern Alliance members scaling the Walls of the fortress and shooting on prisoners in the compound... etc...

If there's an accurate account of this story floating around, I thought that it would make an awesome mission for your total conversion campaign!

I'm sure I speak for the entire Ghost Recon community when I say "THANKS!" to those like you, who go out of your way in using your talents to work on and supply Mods for our enjoyment.

Good luck with it!

Regads, Mally :)

Marcinko, I think the men who have operated with US Army SF and hang around socnet do though, wouldn't you agree? And according to them, not ME, Moore overdid the book and gave Idema undeserved credit. Take it up with them, not me.

First off, u need to specify urself, and thats enough with that convo, u wanna argue what u think it is right, dont do it in my thread. And as far as missions, well, we have Slink, and Kamakazi, but hes havin tech probs at the time, and will hopefully be resolved soon. Thanks for the offer though man :D Hows the textures comin JTF?

Made a couple of attachments for the chrs today, makin more than one pistol attachment, for different units, plan on makin a medic pouch, for possibly a PJ, and made a m16 mag+flash thigh attachment, there comin by tens, lol.

Got some textures from my texture man, and in my clan, i have a guy who's army, and confirms, that the Army now uses throat mics, so Delta will have a throat mic. Onto SEAL model, the Ranger, then SAS the...u get the point. ;)

There are a ton of different radio/mic systems used, Marcinko. Delta was using a boom type (which, I'm assuming is the type you mean by 'throat mic') way back in 1993 even. Just because you heard the Army uses something, does not mean Delta does now. Delta might as well be a different type of service from the US Army, in the way they do things so polar opposite; including funding,training,selection and equipment,etc.

Not saying they do or do not use, as I would not know what they have today, but I do know whatever they use, it will be years before anyone else besides SOF in the Army lays their eyes on it.

Edited by Piccolo

I definently agree, till the Delta wears a throat mic ;) And, the hospital we were talkin about in Afghanistan, my x-gf, her father gets the VFW magazine, and he gives me the articles about spec ops and such, and i misplaced it at first, and have now found it, it says, AND I QUOUTE....... U.S. Spec Ops move up to a surrounding fence around the Mir Wais Hospiatl compund, in Khandahar, Afghanistan, on Jan. 28, 2002. Six Al-qaeda holdouts were killed, end of interesting quote.... The guys, i must definently say, are delta, though they could be Dev, i must say they are SFOD. The quote is in a caption, underneath a pic, if u havent gathered that already, and the guy is werain a protec helmet, long facial hair, 3-color bdu's , and are sportin m4/m203's, both with a anpeq-2, and a acog. Alothough one has a LBV, one has web gear, cat tell from the angel, but more that likly has some form of kevlar, and a backpack. Makes me all the more interested in makin another Delta chr. And as far as years before you can see the form of comms, well distinguishing wehter or not a person(s) are Delta, is sometimes hard to do, but when pictures come back from Iraq, of Delta, and u see the form of comms they are using, wether or not it's a boom mic or throat mic, well, needless to say, thats not years before u get to see the pics ;)

Whether any pics of Delta have even surfaces over the last few years, will remain to be seen. There are only a handfull of pictures, since 1977 when the unit was activated, that have been identified as the unit.

Protecs are old news. Even SEALs use Kevlar helmets now, on boarding operations mind you, where they have always worn the Protecs before.

sure give it all to slink leave Legolas the elf in the corner nobody likes him anyway.

That's right! Go away!

:D

Kamakazi if you want to try a similar mission to that mentioned above, I reccommend the roadblock map. You've got a hospital, a castle and you can attack the roadblock. Note I said similar. I don't think it's fair to make it as exactly like what really happened as possible. Maybe someone has explosives on him and you have to take him out before he kills some hostages?

I have another idea which I'll PM you with.

Well, i have to do some more readin, but i will e-mail him the details on what i want. For, Slink, man i got a dousy, lol. And as far as protecs, well i thought they were used for cqb situations, but have seen a pic of FR wearin one, in Iraq.

Hey thanks for the mission Idea map....might put it into use....funny thing everytime I look at the PM you sent me and start thinking about the mission all I see is the people from the movie Swordfish when the blow up....

Haven't seen that one. So do you think you can do it?

Have you tried a para drop yet? I looked at the script for Postcards mission 5 and can't make a head or tail of it. Must have missed something there :wall: .

The idea is you've got to shut down a broadcast station owned by Al Jezeerah (sp?) by dropping onto it. Things go wrong from the start...