Wierd sound issue on my new system

OSO

I'm getting popping static noises in game which are really annoying to say the least. Actually they're quite painful to listen to with headphones on. These occur randomly regardless of shooting or not. These sound issues do not occur in any of my other games or while listening to music or watching DVDs.

***** User's system configuration *****

CPU: AuthenticAMD 2190 MHz Recent AMD

RAM: 1024 MB

O/S: Microsoft Windows 2000 5.1 Service Pack 2 build 2600

Ghost Recon (RELEASE) version = 1.4.0.0(0)

RSDisplayMgr::CreateGameWindow: Creating a 1280x960 window at 0,0 on monitor Plug and Play Monitor attached to NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT

RSDisplayMgr::CreateGameWindow: Game running on primary display Plug and Play Monitor attached to NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT

HAL (hw vp): NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT R5G6B5

RSSoundMgrPC: Selecting sound device SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [9800]

driver is ctaud2k.sys

I have the most recent drivers for all of my equipment and GR is patched to 1.4

Any suggestions on how to rectify this problem would be appreciated.

Have you tried turning off hardware acceleration for your sound card yet? Go to Control Panel -> Sounds -> Audio tab -> Sound playback -> Advanced button -> then in the Advanced Audio properties dialog pick the Performance tab and turn the slider all the way to the left (i.e. no hardware accleration)

GR had this popping issue with a lot of onboard sound chips, and this was usually solved by turning off hardware acceleration. This is the first time I've heard about this issue with an Audigy card :unsure:

Have you tried turning off hardware acceleration for your sound card yet? Go to Control Panel -> Sounds -> Audio tab -> Sound playback -> Advanced button -> then in the Advanced Audio properties dialog pick the Performance tab and turn the slider all the way to the left (i.e. no hardware accleration)

GR had this popping issue with a lot of onboard sound chips, and this was usually solved by turning off hardware acceleration. This is the first time I've heard about this issue with an Audigy card  :unsure:

I haven't tried that yet and it is exactly what I had to do with my SB PCI 16 card. The game ran fine on my SB Live 5.1 card.

I will give this a try but if its the only solution GR's days are numbered.

I haven't tried that yet and it is exactly what I had to do with my SB PCI 16 card. The game ran fine on my SB Live 5.1 card.

I will give this a try but if its the only solution GR's days are numbered.

I play GR on my main rig with an Audigy 1, and have never had the popping/static issue. Would appreciate if anyone reading this with an Audigy 2 let us know if they ever had problems?

I trust you have the latest Audigy 2 ZS drivers from Creative? Also double check all your wiring to the speakers etc, and try the game with headphones to confirm it is the card.

In the end, we can't really blame GR for the popping noise since the last patch came out before the Audigy 2. If anything, it's maybe a problem with Creative's drivers and we all know how often they update them :rolleyes:

Read the first post. I thought I explained that I'm using Creative's latest drivers for the sound card. :huh:

It pops in IGOR and GR regardless of headphones or speakers. It just hurts my ears worse in headphones. :wacko:

So I guess this is Creative's fault? :thumbsup:

I suppose I should throw my 100 dollar sound card out or monkey around with sound card drivers every time I want to play a game or listen to a mp3. :(

OK, El OSO, we have the same sound card, but I am not having any problems. The date on my driver is 10/21/2003 though. I am not sure if I installed a newer driver or not, but with that particular driver, I have no problems. You may want to try and downgrade.

What is the exact date of the driver for the souind card in Device Manager?

Thanks.

According to dxdiag my sound driver date is 10/18/2004. The dilemma is that I need that driver to play the games that are currently being released.

I have also discovered that it pops in Civilization 3 as well. Now the trick is if I turn off hardware acceleration it works fine in GR. I haven't tested it in Civ 3 yet. Now the other thing is I have other games that make a popping sound with the acceleration off. :wacko:

I'm probably not going to downgrade the driver. I just don't play GR enough anymore to warrant playing musical drivers.

I've got an Audigy 2 sound card and it played GR fine for a long time then all of a sudden it started that popping while running just like my other PC's onboard sound did. :angry: I checked my Creative sound settings recalibrated etc. and it still popped. Later found out that my XP sound speaker settings had defaulted back to a desktop speaker setting. Changed it back to 5.1 speaker setting and the GR popping was gone.

Update your sound card drivers to the same as El Oso's WK, if you still don't get popping then we'll have to look more closely at the settings etc on El Oso's machine. If you do start getting popping with the new drivers WK, uhm... sorry dude :P

What OS are you using EL OSO? I don't know if that will make a difference or not. I did download and install a whole bunch of new Creative drivers and software updates and will test everything within the next week and let you know what is up. I also ran DxDiag and noticed that my hardware acceleration was set to standard and don't remember if I set it that way or if it was set that way automatically during my last driver update.

Will let you know what happens.

I guess I should have looked at his first post. :wall:

I am running Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 4 and even after updating drivers still run the ones dated 10/21/2003 (in Device Manager). I even ran through Creative's AutoUpdate and it said everything was up to date.

DxDiag reports my ctaud2k.sys driver's date as 10/7/2003 with a version number of 5.12.0001.0441.

What OS are you using EL OSO? ...

O/S: Microsoft Windows 2000 5.1 Service Pack 2 build 2600

Actually its Windows XP Professional. I'm not sure why GR detects it as Win2000. Like I said it works without hardware acceleration. I didn't try standard acceleration yet but I'll let you know the next time I fire up a game.

Driver is the same. The version number is different as WK. It is 5.12.0001.0444

Actually its Windows XP Professional. I'm not sure why GR detects it as Win2000.

Just a fluke. Windows XP is more or less a 'patch' to Win2K, and they are built on the same basic technology. Thus, Windows XP is more or less Windows2000SE, which is why XP reports that way.

It's of course much more involved than that, but at it's root, that's why XP thinks it's a small update to 2K.

• 1 month later...

I just got this problem! In Gr and Igor it randomly has a LOUD static sound that won't go away. Other times I have no sound at all. I have tried it with the Sound Accellaration down and same problem. This just started happening today with no changes made to my computer. :wall:

***** User's system configuration *****

CPU: GenuineIntel 2413 MHz Pentium 4

RAM: 248 MB

O/S: Microsoft Windows 2000 5.1 Service Pack 1 build 2600

Ghost Recon (RELEASE) version = 1.4.0.0(0)

RSDisplayMgr::CreateGameWindow: Creating a 1024x768 window at 0,0 on monitor Plug and Play Monitor attached to Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

RSDisplayMgr::CreateGameWindow: Game running on primary display Plug and Play Monitor attached to Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

HAL (sw vp): Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller R5G6B5

I have no sound cards or anything, but GR ran fine without them for ages on my two computers.

My Ike log sometimes says something about FAILSOUNDE or something. This problem only happens on this computer.

Edited by BrandonKappel

Is that an nforce chipset? Update the chipset drivers. Try in the bios turning on spread spectrum. Some amd's were noted for a lot of bus noise. spread spectrum may reduce this. You aren't overclocking are you? if so turn it back. I have a audigy gamer and never had any problems with it, but i also run intel.

Is that an nforce chipset? Update the chipset drivers. Try in the bios turning on spread spectrum.  Some amd's were noted for a lot of bus noise.  spread spectrum may reduce this.  You aren't overclocking are you?  if so turn it  back.  I have a audigy gamer and never had any problems with it, but i also run intel.

He's running an Intel CPU on an Intel mobo. So no, it isn't NForce.

But you both also need to make sure you update your chipset drivers as well.

Sometimes just upgrading a certain board's drivers isn't enough.

Also, check out and do what KRP56 suggested, as it worked for him.

They are called "snats", and I get them too. They are little buffer underruns in your audio stream, or just missing pieces of data, from what ever cause. I have always had to turn off EAX w/ GR, that's number one. There are many variables that make them occur, and I'm sure they vary on each machine. Good luck, but it's not GR's fault.

ive had the same issue on and off ever since i switched to an Nforce 2 mobo and Audigy 1, many forums are full of issues like this.

after trying dozens of posted fixes i eventualy tracked it down to my keyboard and onboard nic, in my case going to a USB keyboard and a pci nic card solved the issue, even tho i had no irq conflicts and had messed with latencies