For us high-cal snipers

snowpilot

I have a question that has been bugging me ever since i started playing GR. Are there any vehicles (thin-skin, like trucks or humvees) that can be taken out by shooting the engine block? I have to unload a complete 30 r mag of 5.56 in order to immobilize it, but i know a single shot with a .50 will do the job. Can anyone help me? I hate having to take a demo man with me when all i'm going to be facing are thin-skinned and light armored vehicles, which can be eliminated with an M-82!!!

Navy Seals mod does this very well. I liked sniping vehicles.

Yeah, i tried that. I'm guessing you used the macmillan, right? I guess that works, but i was looking to see if stock GR weaps could do the same thing. Granted it would take a B.A.G. to do it, like a Barrett, but it would be nice. It would also give those big sniperweapons a raison d'etre.

Mr Snow Piolt, you really need to do some research into a lot of things before you pass your opinions, because there quite badly miss informed. No Offence.

I'm not stating anything as fact. Just throwing a theory out there. I know the gun file for the abrams main is in there, and it doesn't use a big slow projectile like a GL or AT4. If it's not possible to tag a rifle like that, i apoligize for inquiring into a subject that i know others have also asked about.

Yeah there is, just its faster and harder to see. But with Navy Seals I dont remember seeing anything, because it depends if you set a .qob as your projectile, so you could set up a new .qob with just a square and a alpha channel for the texture and not see anything.

The best barrett I've come across is in Op. Stabilize. It's a true tank killer but is not recognized as a rocket launcher so AT equipped troops are also needed. I agree that without an anti-armour use, the Barrett and all the other large calibre weapons seem a little unneccessary.

Cheers

callmehobbes :D

Stalker_Zero did a mod called Sniper Cannon. Its a mod of high cal sniper rifles all can take out tanks and arent tagged has a AT. So like in Opstabilize you need to take a M136 for tank missions. Only thing is he didnt release the mod.

• 5 weeks later...
Didn't some mod over the years make a M82 Slap that is tagged as a AT and left a smoke-trail as it went downrange??? :P  Then again I believe they just modified the projectile to the AT projectile characteristics. :thumbsup:

If they did then I haven't heard of it. And whoever came up with that needs to do some major research, cuz the M-82 isn't compatible with SLAP rounds like the M2 is. Modders try for realism, if I'm not mistaken (genuflects to CHEMS, Snowfella, Piccolo, etc.).

Yeah there is, just its faster and harder to see. But with Navy Seals I dont remember seeing anything, because it depends if you set a .qob as your projectile, so you could set up a new .qob with just a square and a alpha channel for the texture and not see anything.

I haven't checked out the Op.Stab gun file, but using the method you just said can you make it so that when the round connects with something that is not armor there won't be a huge explosion like normal AT? And how did he make it able to destroy vehicles without being AT? I know, I can just check the gun file, just curious.

whoever came up with that needs to do some major research, cuz the M-82 isn't compatible with SLAP rounds like the M2 is. Modders try for realism, if I'm not mistaken (genuflects to CHEMS, Snowfella, Piccolo, etc.).

This is a thread discussing taking out tanks with AMRs, I'm not sure reality is real high on the list of priorities here....

whoever came up with that needs to do some major research, cuz the M-82 isn't compatible with SLAP rounds like the M2 is. Modders try for realism, if I'm not mistaken (genuflects to CHEMS, Snowfella, Piccolo, etc.).

This is a thread discussing taking out tanks with AMRs, I'm not sure reality is real high on the list of priorities here....

I never said anything about tanks. I know that a high-caliber AMR will disable a thin-skinned vehicle like a BRDM or BMP if the engine is hit. The Army was experimenting with a lazer-tracking round for a new AMR that theoretically could be sighted on the joint where the turret meets the hull since that area is very thinly armored, but that never came to fruition. A standard .50cal ball round will knock out the engine on a duece and a half rather efficiently, and an AP round will do the same on a BMP or BRDM.

• 2 weeks later...

As a man behind Op.Stabilise M-82, and also the RT-20 and MACS-M2 AMRs in my Croatian Army mod, I feel obligated to clear the air here;

1) First of all, all of my AMR guns are coded as GL. The reason for this is twofold; firstly, the hardcoded motions and hand position allows the player to go prone with GL coded weapon, it also allows for more natural hand position on the weapon. If, for example, the AMR rifle were to be coded as AT rocket launcher, the hard coded motion type would make it imposible to go prone with such weapon, and the hand placement would make the character holding the weapon in the wrong way, probably on his shoulder, just as a rocket launcher.

2) Once the GL coded weapon is created, you can modify it to fire any projectile you like. The velocity of the projectile is set in .prj file, as is it's visual explosion type, damage trough walls, mass etc. All this is very important, as here you actually determine if the projectile will be able to destroy a tank or not. GR actually allows projectiles to have 3 types of explosions; AT explosion type (such projectile will destroy a tank), grenade explosion type (will have same effect as GL ) and invisible explosion type. (same as GL, only with no visible or audible explosion). The last two can take out non-armoured vehicles, so I guess that answers the questions from the begining of the thread.

Almost anything can be set in .prj file, like the qob model the projectile will use (you can make a custom .qob, but I used 20mm OICW round model for my guns. Initial velocity is set to 850m/sec so no round is visible flying trough the air)

You can also set the blast radius...too keep it realistic, I reduced that of my wepons from 1m (for high-explosion ammo) to as low as 1 mm for armour piercing round, so it had to be dead on target to destroy it.

To sumise; the AMR rifle itself is coded as GL, that allows the weapn to be used in prone position.

Any GL coded weapon fires a projectile; projectile's charactersitic are determined in it's .prj file- including what .qob model is used for the projectile, it's mass and initial velocity, and it's blast radius and explosion type.

Explosion type entry determines if the projectile will be able to destroy a tank or not.

I hope that cleares it up for everyone :D

• 1 year later...

A .50 will not penetrate a BMP's armour, the only APC that could be destroyed is an old SdKfzW 251 or something.

I like the suggestion of using the Abram's shell, as it is high-velocity and KE.

The only problem is, it would then take out BMP's and T80's - which is very unrealistic.

Does Ghost Recon differentiate between KE and Chemical AP rounds? - I studied a BMP an Abrams KO'd and it didn't look like it...

Ideally the round should act like the M82, but have the damage of the grenade - but with the .50's range modifier and without the blast radius.

Can this be done?

I noticed the guns can deflect hits, how does the .50 act with this?

Interesting subject, hope it all goes well for anyone attempting it.

• 1 month later...

How does that work?

I'm a console gamer, so whilst I take a great interest in mods, I'm afraid that I cannot use them.

I did some research lately and apparently, the .50 BMG will penetrate the rear doors of a BMP. I also suspect that the roof could be penetrated.

Could you figure this into a mod?

Does GR take into account the angle at which the bullet hits the target?