Communications While Playing

Not sure where to put this, so I will start here.

Currently while playing MP with a few friends we communicate via 3-way calling. What I would like to do is, do the communication via the internet with a headset that has a microphone on it. Any one know of anything that we could use for this and what it all includes to do so. I am currently the server for the MP, can I run this at the sametime and not hurt the speed of game play OR should one of my friends run it on their PC while I am the main server for MP?

Thanks and Have Fun,

Dean

You should look at the 4 voice software programs for PC - Teamspeak, Roger Wilco, Ventrilo, and BattleCom.

http://www.goteamspeak.com/news.php

http://rogerwilco.gamespy.com/

http://www.ventrilo.com/

http://battlecom.freewebtools.com/

Look for player reviews, features, hosting requirements, freeware or purchase, etc.

Edited by Kurtz

Guys, of the people using Teamspeak and/or Ventrilo, which do you like better. This will be used for about 3 or 4 people and ran of a home pc while running GR in MP mode. What about costs, any for just home users ???

Have Fun & Thanks for the replies.

Dean

My buddies and I usually only play together in my basement...so I went to radio shack....and 20 bucks worth of parts later..built my own little intercom....we plug our phones into my device....and then headsets into our receivers....works great.

I know this doesnt help the online crowd, but I love hearing my sqaud in my ear..without it affecting my GAME SOUND.

HACK

My buddies and I usually only play together in my basement...so I went to radio shack....and 20 bucks worth of parts later..built my own little intercom....we plug our phones into my device....and then headsets into our receivers....works great.

I know this doesnt help the online crowd, but I love hearing my sqaud in my ear..without it affecting my GAME SOUND.

HACK

Why would a com program interfear with your game sound? I use vent on GR and AA and i know on AA sound plays a big part of playing has you need to hear footsteps and gunshots, having 3-4 people talk at once doesnt have any affect the sound while im playing. I can still hear gunshots and the loudness of the m249's :D .

team speak. Dont sound like your holding your nose when you talk :rofl:

+ I never seen ventrillo use things like channel commanders or type stuff

lot of times i cant hear my squad on TS or ven lol gamesa are louder.

Edited by Prozac360

I've used Roger Wilco, which imo was very simple to setup and use, but it's got terrible sound quality.

Team Speak 2, as Rocky stated, has got near telephone quality. It has in the past given me some technical problems, but they appear to have been fixed now with the latest version.

So my vote would go to TeamSpeak 2.

Why would a com program interfear with your game sound? I use vent on GR and AA and i know on AA sound plays a big part of playing has you need to hear footsteps and gunshots, having 3-4 people talk at once doesnt have any affect the sound while im playing. I can still hear gunshots and the loudness of the m249's :D .

If you have a OnBoard soundthingy on your motherboard and it only supports 1 soundchannel it can only do 1 thing at a time, or Vent or Ingame sounds :) - or something like that :P

----

I used Vent for 2 years and lately TeamSpeak, i don't really notice any difference though, it really doesn't matter that much. if i had to choose i would say Vent though