US Army ACU

WP33

I'll speak from experience here, on some of the urban maps in the original missions, the ACU looks awesome! Just tried some missions tonight. Even I didn't know what to expect, as I hadn't tested it in all environs.

Edited by WP33

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take it a step further and used my imagination: The army claims that ACU will blend 'reasonably well' in all environments. The various pics I've see are alternately greyish, greenish or brownish depending on lighting conditions. I take that to mean that the shades will appear (at least to the naked eye) to be greener in a forest or browner in the desert.

WP33 How about taking photoshop and changing the hue, brightness and contrast ever so slightly for GR, DS and IT? You could make it a little darker and greener for the Russia maps, greener still for Cuba and tint it browner and lighter for the desert.

To the player in the menu screens they would appear to be the same pattern and colors across the board, despite blending better with each environment. Lined up next to each other in photoshop they'd of course look like different shades.

I can email you some shots to give you an idea what i'm talking about...in the meantime view the different looks in this Army Brochure.

Edited by budgie

Yeah, sounds good to me. I did make the desert version just for fun, but, indeed, I can do some tweaks to the base. I had thought of the same thing as well, but really wasn't happy with the sample I had of the camo to be honest. I tried to stay as faithful as I could to the source pic just for accuracy's sake, but I'm not truly happy with the end result. Luckily, the MultiCam I'm working on actually looks good in all maps with the source pic staying the same in all environments.

You can't say I outdid it - you made the skin remember?

I'm just standing on the shoulders of a genius.

One of my gripes with DS when it came out was the desert skins were too white. Like the developers went to an army navy store, bought a brand new set of 3-colour and photographed it under flashes and lights. What it looks like against various terrains is of course much more subdued.

Anyway add some of my screens if you want to show the guys what the Army claims this new pattern is capable of.

Edited by budgie

^^

Why they chose a new patter in the first place is beyond me. They should have just produced the Advanced Combat Uniform with all of it's little improvements and bells and whistles and such with the old patterns. Idk, that or they should have bit their lip and tried to work out a deal with the Corps to use MARPAT or something very similar to it. I've yet to see this new pattern up close for myself, but if it's anything like the pictures, it sucks ass. But, then again, at least it's not the worst camo in the world, I think the Belgian woodland patter takes that trophy. :P

Great job with the ACUs mate :D

As for the real deal,well l truely don`t understand why there using a set which relies so much on Velcro.

That is surely going to be hazzardous to the troops,ie Soldier A "damn where`s my map....VVVVVRRRRRIP"

ENEMY Force "fire into that BUSH".

Still the real deal & also your rendering of it look Great :D

Ja

Steel Bonnet