Prefects.....

The_Slink

I used to go to two schools where the school kids could be Prefects.

TBH, I don't think it's needed. The teachers should be the ones doing the disciplining, and besides, you only need one of these Prefects to dislike you, and you're in for it. Infact, I was subject to that first hand!

I found that they were normally picked because the teachers liked them, but that didn't mean they were a "nice person" or "responsible".

I wouldn't like the idea that teachers have the power to say what child can or can not be responsible for my son. Like I said, that's what they are for!!

My school has prefects. Its a good system, they handle crowd control at the canteen, yard duties etc. It usually works, but cos my year group is the biggest bunch of juvenile deliquents in the history of man, they have had to add more prefects, cos the existing ones werent doing anything.

What's a prefect? At my high school we have people that ride around on Gators (like a golf cart but faster) and they call themselves security. We also have at least two rent-a-cops on campus, and two traffic cops. None of these people stopped us from spraying the seniors with fire extinguishers last year during the school rally. :devil:

We have prefects at our school, they are voted and nominated by everyone from yr10-12, and all of the staff. All of the votes have equal weighting. The people nominated are only eligible for prefect if they reach the prefect requirement, good attendance, no suspensions in the past 2 years, school events praticipation level and academic results. The selected don't really dish out punishment to the younger groups, but acting as a strong role model to them. They also represent the school at various occasions, like a meeting with Sydney Girls High School - the school next door, organising events, dances, etc.

We have no prefects or hall monitors here.. We do have a "student council" though. It's supposed to be like a student senate I suppose, working hand in hand with the administration, bringing about changes the students would like to see. Each year elects 10 (I think..) members to the student council, for a total of about 40 or so. Basically, the school administration does what it pleases anyway, and all the student council does is plan dances (but not Prom, we have a "Prom Committee" for that) and pep rallies..

Back on topic: I think the prefect system is a bit dumb and I'm glad we don't have it here.

No offence to any past or current prefects :)

Whole school yr 8-12 and the teachers vote, weighting is more for yr11 (the year prefects come from).

After that, the top 35 or so applicants (you don't have to try if you don't want to) get told that you must go for interviews. Mine was yesterday....

Ouch! Pain! Still now I can frighten the rest since I was 8th on the list....

We also have a "school senate", the Representative Council of Learners.

Ooops....

I was told that I did very well on my interview by one of the staff. :D

We're acting prefects from next week all those who made it to interviews at least....

just stab the first person who disrespects you. You need to make an example of someone.

nah, youll do fine, aslong as you dont act like me, youl be running the place in no time :thumbsup: