VBS Screenies

Finally got to drop in for a game, but had to leave too soon!  I was just getting comfortable.  It's been months since I've played  :blink:  I was a bit timid at first.  Not to mention there was a bit of trouble understanding my orders from Sergeant Gordo... must be the language barrier  :rocky:

Yeah those Aussie Accents hey mate! :rolleyes: You did well though slotted your fair share....

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl: 

so jake so will play nice if have to be secimed asas no sheep joke

or all kangroo will die  :P

Jeff, I have read this post over and over but still have no idea what you are saying.

Something about sheep and Roos is all I get out of it......

When you do finally get VBS1 ready, please stay in front of me..... ;)

BTW - the reference to Jake wouldn't be Jake the Muzz would it? "Cook the man some eggs woman".

:rofl:

jack allway with the kiwi sheep joke

new zealand where men are men and sheep are scarry

and because there is no nzsas i will have to join with you

ozzies . so if i get sheep joke will shoot every roo I find

BTW - the reference to Jake wouldn't be Jake the Muzz would it? "Cook the man some eggs woman".

no i miss spelling jack he not tough e nuff to be a jake :thumbsup:

today i get my new headset and new mouse then i wait

When you do finally get VBS1 ready, please stay in front of me.....

yea put the token kiwi on point like in all war movies i show you

a pic of my girlfriend and be the first to die . :yes:

Do you guys prefer SASR because you get better equipment or something, or just because the majority of you are Aussies (or an Aussie is scripting the missions)? Just wanted to clarify; you can be SAS, Delta etc, right?

You can be Delta, Rangers, US SF, etc. The ADF pack just happens to be one of the most well-done packs. I like it because it's different.

Do you guys prefer SASR because you get better equipment or something, or just because the majority of you are Aussies (or an Aussie is scripting the missions)? Just wanted to clarify; you can be SAS, Delta etc, right?

Yeah you can be Delta...or Rangers,US Army, Marines, SFG, RAR, anyone really.... but we have Aussies and we like the Gucci stuff so majority of missions invole us lads carrying about bucket loads of tricked out M-4's etc...We do have quite a few US forces based Missions which we do play occasionally- Aus _Viper madea really good BHD scenario...

Edit: Para got there first :P

jack allway with the kiwi sheep joke

new zealand where men are men and sheep are scarry

Sozz mate but Sheep jokes for you... Harty gets his Goats, Duggy Flying Skills, Vipes and Jack Camels....

and because there is no nzsas i will have to join with you

ozzies . so if i get sheep joke will shoot every roo I find

no i miss spelling jack he not tough e nuff to be a jake 

today i get my new headset and new mouse then i wait

Jack not tough enough to be Jake? Why Jack would.......... :whistle:

Cool headset mate... and mouse. Be good to have a Kiwi Online round out the Aussies, Brits, Yanks....and those Cannucks... :thumbsup: Oh and a Swede that lives in Aussie Land... :P

When you do finally get VBS1 ready, please stay in front of me.....

yea put the token kiwi on point like in all war movies i show you

a pic of my girlfriend and be the first to die .

:'(

Now I know who keeps taking MY rifle! For this, you'll pay a terrible price Viper!

:rofl::rofl::whistle:

Edited by Parabellum

I guess sunset if you're on the northern hemisphere facing west. The sun goes up in the east, and follows a southern (clockwise movement, to your right if facing east) over the sky. So, when you see the sun to your left towards the horizon when facing west, and you're on the northern hemisphere, then it should be sunset.

Unfortunately I can't see which direction you're facing... No anthills, no moss on trees, nothing to give me a hint of where south is :P

At least that's as far as it looks from how I see the world.

One question:

VBS looks a bit barren, at least when compared to Ghost Recon outdoor maps. Why is this? I'm sure there is a good reason for this, and I'd like to know the reasoning for cutting down the trees, so to speak.

Another question:

I'm wondering if the gameplay is moddable in VBS, I've started thinking of how to make a tactical squad based system, and wonder if VBS might be moddable for this. I've been thinking of other engines, but seeing Jack57 moving to VBS I'm going to look into it, as I've great respect for his work for Ghost Recon.

A third question after viewing the picture one more time:

14 fps... that seems very low for a scene which doesn't look very impressing... This rises a few more questions about VBS... Like what kind of GFX card do I need to get decent playability out of it?

VBS looks a bit barren, at least when compared to Ghost Recon outdoor maps. Why is this? I'm sure there is a good reason for this, and I'd like to know the reasoning for cutting down the trees, so to speak.

That depends on the environment in which you are playing. Some areas contain a great deal of trees, some don't. Ghost Recon was limited to a 400x400m area. As such, the designers had to squeeze alot of detail into that small area, to make you feel like it was much larger than it really was. Have you ever noticed how large M01 Caves feels? It feels like a very, very large area, when in fact it is not. The VBS1 developers are not restricted to such an area; you can play on maps up to 25Kmx25Km in size in VBS1. As such, you'll find that terrain and vegetation is more realistic than in Ghost Recon.

I'm wondering if the gameplay is moddable in VBS, I've started thinking of how to make a tactical squad based system, and wonder if VBS might be moddable for this. I've been thinking of other engines, but seeing Jack57 moving to VBS I'm going to look into it, as I've great respect for his work for Ghost Recon.

Your idea is so broad and so vague that it's nearly impossible to say what would work and what wouldn't. That said, almost anything can be modded in VBS1. Some of the new scripting commands are just amazing, and really open up the game to new areas, such as UW or FID missions.

14 fps... that seems very low for a scene which doesn't look very impressing... This rises a few more questions about VBS... Like what kind of GFX card do I need to get decent playability out of it?

I think 14 FPS is quite impressive, considering the fact that you can see from 500 - 5,000 meters. This isn't like Ghost Recon, where you might be able to see 150 - 200 meters. GR, for all intents and purposes, is very, very limited. Not only are you limited to maybe 200 meter engagements, but the AI is clunky and unrefined for CQB. Not so in VBS1. The AI isn't great for indoor combat, but urban firefights in VBS1 are more intense and deadly than GR ever was.

how large M01 Caves feels?  It feels like a very, very large area, when in fact it is not.  The VBS1 developers are not restricted to such an area; you can play on maps up to 25Kmx25Km in size in VBS1.  As such, you'll find that terrain and vegetation is more realistic than in Ghost Recon.

A lot of the GR maps feel very large, you're right. The size in VBS1 seems awesome, that said, I'm going to look more into the maps available, not least trying to find more woodland maps etc. Though, when I come to think of it, urban combat is my favourite, and the Embassy and IGT Downtown are my fav maps...

Your idea is so broad and so vague that it's nearly impossible to say what would work and what wouldn't.  That said, almost anything can be modded in VBS1.  Some of the new scripting commands are just amazing, and really open up the game to new areas, such as UW or FID missions.

Thanks for taking the time to read through it. The planning part was inspired by what I've seen of some VBS1 images and from the missing parts in GR (like not seeing the map properly).

As for the broadness, it is a first draft, I need to split it up into different areas (which the different headings really are) and see what could be done independently. Then it would be easier to create what's needed in steps, or by different people. Factoring of ideas, before factoring the code :)

How are the scripting tools? For VBS1? I've been using Igor for GR and have had fun with it, but the script language is really...ehrm, not very well thought out. For a programmer comming from C/C++/PHP angle and OOA/D used to using text editors for programming, the interface really, really works against me.

I think 14 FPS is quite impressive, considering the fact that you can see from 500 - 5,000 meters.  This isn't like Ghost Recon, where you might be able to see 150 - 200 meters.  GR, for all intents and purposes, is very, very limited.  Not only are you limited to maybe 200 meter engagements, but the AI is clunky and unrefined for CQB.  Not so in VBS1.  The AI isn't great for indoor combat, but urban firefights in VBS1 are more intense and deadly than GR ever was.

Well, again it depends on how the scene is rendered, I'm not a 3d guru, but still, what I saw on that screenshot didn't really scream a lot of detail.

Though, 500 to 5,000 meters line of sight is impressive. And what you say about hte AI seems to scream "recreate Embassy now" :P

I'll be looking into VBS1, especially when I see some old GR hands moving that way. For the limitations inherent in GR there have been some very nasty and good ideas springing from a lot of modders.

Thank's for your answers.

the 14 frames was rendered at a view of 2000m right after a major contact wich involved some heavy scripting, and was on mp with 56k. almost imediately after that shot i jumped to 30+ fps. plus i have adjusted some gfx settings and such so now i VERY rarely drop under 20 even with the most detail and scripts.

this one, this one, and this one all came at high 30's fps wth graphics and detail all up high and on 56k. the thing is that you MAY drop low, but it's for a fraction of a second. unfortunately thats when i took the screen. here is a high detail screen with 2000m view an high gfx settings with 29 frames, bear in mind that the transfer from tga to jpeg, and photobucket limits, it loses quality. on my screen i have virtualy photo realistic images

cheers......

how large M01 Caves feels?  It feels like a very, very large area, when in fact it is not.  The VBS1 developers are not restricted to such an area; you can play on maps up to 25Kmx25Km in size in VBS1.  As such, you'll find that terrain and vegetation is more realistic than in Ghost Recon.

A lot of the GR maps feel very large, you're right. The size in VBS1 seems awesome, that said, I'm going to look more into the maps available, not least trying to find more woodland maps etc. Though, when I come to think of it, urban combat is my favourite, and the Embassy and IGT Downtown are my fav maps...

Your idea is so broad and so vague that it's nearly impossible to say what would work and what wouldn't.  That said, almost anything can be modded in VBS1.  Some of the new scripting commands are just amazing, and really open up the game to new areas, such as UW or FID missions.

Thanks for taking the time to read through it. The planning part was inspired by what I've seen of some VBS1 images and from the missing parts in GR (like not seeing the map properly).

As for the broadness, it is a first draft, I need to split it up into different areas (which the different headings really are) and see what could be done independently. Then it would be easier to create what's needed in steps, or by different people. Factoring of ideas, before factoring the code

How are the scripting tools? For VBS1? I've been using Igor for GR and have had fun with it, but the script language is really...ehrm, not very well thought out. For a programmer comming from C/C++/PHP angle and OOA/D used to using text editors for programming, the interface really, really works against me.

I think 14 FPS is quite impressive, considering the fact that you can see from 500 - 5,000 meters.  This isn't like Ghost Recon, where you might be able to see 150 - 200 meters.  GR, for all intents and purposes, is very, very limited.  Not only are you limited to maybe 200 meter engagements, but the AI is clunky and unrefined for CQB.  Not so in VBS1.  The AI isn't great for indoor combat, but urban firefights in VBS1 are more intense and deadly than GR ever was.

Well, again it depends on how the scene is rendered, I'm not a 3d guru, but still, what I saw on that screenshot didn't really scream a lot of detail.

Though, 500 to 5,000 meters line of sight is impressive. And what you say about hte AI seems to scream "recreate Embassy now"

I'll be looking into VBS1, especially when I see some old GR hands moving that way. For the limitations inherent in GR there have been some very nasty and good ideas springing from a lot of modders.

Thank's for your answers.

Most of the screenies to date seem to be of the desert map in VBS1. Whilst very topical, it does not show the true potential of the engine.

The desert maps are (as you would expect) quite barren; but the EU woodland maps have many dense forests and at some times prove quite a challenge for spotting the enemy. Don't base your judgement of the "barren-ness" (is there such a word) of the screen shots, as this is not the case. The EU maps are really choc full of trees, villages, forests etc.

Put it this way - in GR can you walk around for 30 mins experiencing different foliages and not see an enemy? In VBS1 you can!

Also, imagine your fav flight sim (chopper or fixed wing) that you fly around a map and take out enemy postitions. In VBS1 you can do this, BUT also land the aircraft and take the battle to them enemy as a foot soldier.

Add this to the scenario - you land (or in my case are shot down) from your aircraft, so you end up on foot. BUT, you find an empty <insert your choice here> armoured / non armoured / motorbike to use. So the flight sim game moves to a FPS game and then moves again to a driver/gunner of a vcl game. The seamless transformation of all 3 genres of games are not only believeable, but bloody great fun to play.

On a side note - look at the modder names that are converts. That in itself should at least make VBS1 worth a look. Names such as Jack57, Parabellum, Snowfella, AUS_Viper, Dekela, Dugite, Streinger, <insert apology for those I forgot>, etc. These guys are not just players of the game - but die hard modders. If these guys are moving over, it must be something special :)

Most of the screenies to date seem to be of the desert map in VBS1.  Whilst very topical, it does not show the true potential of the engine.

The desert maps are (as you would expect) quite barren; but the EU woodland maps have many dense forests and at some times prove quite a challenge for spotting the enemy.  Don't base your judgement of the "barren-ness" (is there such a word) of the screen shots, as this is not the case.  The EU maps are really choc full of trees, villages, forests etc.

Put it this way - in GR can you walk around for 30 mins experiencing different foliages and not see an enemy?  In VBS1 you can!

Also, imagine your fav flight sim (chopper or fixed wing) that you fly around a map and take out enemy postitions.  In VBS1 you can do this, BUT also land the aircraft and take the battle to them enemy as a foot soldier.

Add this to the scenario - you land (or in my case are shot down) from your aircraft, so you end up on foot.  BUT, you find an empty <insert your choice here> armoured / non armoured / motorbike to use.  So the flight sim game moves to a FPS game and then moves again to a driver/gunner of a vcl game.  The seamless transformation of all 3 genres of games are not only believeable, but bloody great fun to play.

On a side note - look at the modder names that are converts.  That in itself should at least make VBS1 worth a look.  Names such as Jack57, Parabellum, Snowfella, AUS_Viper, Dekela, Dugite, Streinger, <insert apology for those I forgot>, etc.  These guys are not just players of the game - but die hard modders.  If these guys are moving over, it must be something special :)

:clapping:

cheers......

Edited by dekela

On a side note - look at the modder names that are converts.  That in itself should at least make VBS1 worth a look.  Names such as Jack57, Parabellum, Snowfella, AUS_Viper, Dekela, Dugite, Streinger, <insert apology for those I forgot>, etc.  These guys are not just players of the game - but die hard modders.  If these guys are moving over, it must be something special :)

I think you missed my first post and parts of my second post where I said about the same as you are saying, so many cool GR modders have moved over, it must be good :)

I think you missed my first post and parts of my second post where I said about the same as you are saying, so many cool GR modders have moved over, it must be good :)

although i feel strange about being in the same boat as jack, vipes, para, snow, duggy and streinger, (they actually did something) i must say that yes, it IS that good

cheers......

from tonight/today's mp session

we had a bad run with blackhawk pilots today, i think they had too much "amber fluid" before battle. here are just two of the quizillion crashes we had

one

two

me doing a "maggie" on an OPFOR to try and stop him shooting jayson, didn't work seen here

some carnage we instilled on the bad guy's here and here

my view of fallujah (virtual mp) seen here