Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30

Dick Splash

No surprise that PC Gamer (US) describe this as one of the games that 'blew them away' at E3.

PCG (US) describes the game as giving us the best of both worlds, in that it's a tactical squad strategy game and an FPS. Gearbox, the developers, have concentrated not just on giving us a new style in gaming, but have put a lot of effort into making it look historically and visually accurate down to the inch.

Similar to FSW, you control [in this case] Fox Company of the 502nd PIR using a simple onscreen interface moving them, laying supressive fire etc., but you also have a pause-time tactical map to study. However, unlike FSW, you also play the game in first person, playing the character Sgt. Matt Baker.

Hollywood voices and several trips to Normandy should make this a contender for game of the year.

Brothers in Arms

DS

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a new video over at gamespot, it is kinda like a walkthrough of the game with the voices of 2 of the developers and i must say it looks amazing. you really get the feeling you are in normandy, the soldiers move like in real life, the commands look simple to use but are very affective, the AI looks amazing and the enviroment is equally amazing.

definitily a game that i am going to buy!

While the game does look interesting, remember both UBI/Gearbox failed to provide sdk as promised for Ravenshield/Halo PC (not CE which is mp only). I don't map, so being able to script new missions, place objects in new areas is important to me. So if game ships without an editor but only a promise of one, I will pass. For those who have tried halo (which is a riot, especially with the ai dialogue), I liked the way the warthog handled with the physics--I think it would transfer nicely to BIA, but I can't forget the recent track record of both companies involved. For SP only types like me, if all you get is the original missions, I can wait for it to go to the bargain bin and buy for 10 instead of 50 dollars.

remember both UBI/Gearbox failed to provide sdk as promised for Ravenshield/Halo PC (not CE which is mp only).

Ubi/RvS I'll agree with, but Gearbox/Halo isn't really fair. After all, Gearbox merely ported the Xbox title to PC, and threw in a bit of extra stuff to flesh it out. They would have required permission (or in fact orders) from Bungie to release any sort of SDK for Halo PC. In fact, considering Gearbox's lineup is virtually all Half-Life mods of some kind, I'd say they have an excellent track record when it comes to modding.

• 2 weeks later...

Dannik they advertised the hek for pc on front page last Sept to help sell Halo. I know normally, a port will not have an editor come with, but one was promised for this. I loved the game/physics used in halo, merely pointing out that one needs to be aware. Bottom line is, it will be each gamer's personal decision whether to buy. If an editor ships with BIA and they release a demo to try the game and I like it, I will probably buy it. If only a promise of a later release of an editor is mentioned, I won't touch it. The devs are playing it close to the vest about any editor/sdk right now for BIA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I agree that this game looks great. The E3 demo did not show much of the game's purported strengths, suppress and assault. The dev did not make much use of the assault squad so it's not clear how effective it is. He played it kind of Rambo, making nearly all the kills himself, with very little tactics, but, the potential for real tactical squad use is there. The demo will make that clear.

I was not impressed with the poor performance of the team AI in close quarters when two of them were easily killed entering a building. Hopefully, the CQB will be minimal or the AI balancing will be improved, because that did not look good. I still don't understand why the enemy AI was so superior to the team AI in that particular encounter.

I just hope that the game is a real squad game, not just one where you have to do everything, with some squad support, cause that's only a small step up from COD.

Edited by Kurtz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More goodness on the BiA official website today including this quote from IGN;

One of the misconceptions that Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 will have to fight to destroy is that it's a straight up shooter. The real deal is that it's not what most people are expecting, especially when it comes to multiplayer. The truth of the matter is that it Brothers in Arms is a nifty tactical game that involves more thinking than your average shooter. It certainly comes with its fair share of trigger happy fun, but considering each player will usually have a group of soldiers following him or her around the battlefield, the action relies a lot on the tactical superiority of the mind behind the gun. We know this because we played it on Wednesday.

Also;

Worth Playing Article

Multiplayer Hands On Event

Brotherhood and Characters Movie

IGN Multiplayer Hands On

Check them all out here

DS

• 2 weeks later...

Find the latest news from the BiA Official Website including;

Realism Movie

Answers From The Colonel [Gearbox Software Developers Diary]

Q1: Asked by gotitall_01

When you talk about D-Day and the gliders that were involved in it, you hear about soldiers coming out with broken body parts or at sometimes even getting killed. Did the gliders do more harm then good?

Brothers in Arms Theme Music Released

Another Preview [From Fragland.net]

Thanks to Ubisoft I got the chance to get to work with a previewversion of Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30. Accompanied by someone from the design team I quickly got the hang of it and decided to write down a short preview of this upcoming FPS from Gearbox.

Ubi and Gearbox are building this up nicely and hopefully they're still on target for a March release.

DS