56k Question

DWilliams11

I remember the days of 56K, not happy times I must admit.

If you are in need of some more bandwith you could always go down the ISDN route. Then you can get upto 128k, athough beware, this isn't cheap. Infact it's very expensive when you consider how much bandwith you are getting. :angry:

The best choice for you would be to get ADSL @ 512K. Amazingly enough, ADSL is cheaper than ISDN although you get more badnwith. Wierd eh?! :wacko:

All this depends mind on whether you can even get ADSL in your area!! So if you can afford to get transfered to ADSL you won't be dissapointed! :rocky:

Actually, that isnt accurate. If you have newer lines, a good modem, and your telco os fairly up to date, you can get 56K. I used to. It wasnt all the time. but it is possible.

From a site deaking with such issues:

Even though your modem is designed to connect at faster speeds, you can't always get a consistent connection at the maximum speed the modem is designed to connect at. Your connect speed depends on how good your phone connection is. This is dependent not only on your physical phone line, but also on the telephone network that your current call is using right now. This path changes each time you dial. What modem advertisers fail to tell you is that the speed they are advertising is the maximum speed that the modem can operate at under extremely ideal conditions.

56K modems are a special case. In order for modems to inter-operate, they must support the same standards. The International standard for 56K modems was officially ratified in September 1998. There are also two proprietary standards included in some 56K modems. US Robotics developed and licensed the 56K X2 standard and a consortium lead by Rockwell and Lucent Technologies advanced the K56Flex standard. V.90 is the official International standard.

56K modems are asymmetrical in nature. When you connect to a 56K modem, you can only transmit upstream at a maximum speed of 33.6Kbps. The data can be transmitted to you at a maximum speed of 56Kbps. This means that downloads to you can be much faster, but uploads are no faster than V.34 modem connections.

There are many reasons why you may not be able to get a 56K connection. The first requirement for a connection greater than 33.6K is that the service provider side, or our side of the connection, has a digital phone link and digital modems. We have that. The end user needs a 56K modem. Even if those conditions are met, there can be other reasons why you cannot get a connection speed higher than 33.6Kbps. The reasons can include:

The FCC in the United States has a regulation that data speeds over telephone lines cannot exceed 53K. Until that law is changed the modems are artificially capped at that speed.

Digital connections require that there be only one analog to digital conversion of data in the path between the end user and the service provider. If your phone line goes to a local telephone office that doesn't have digital facilities or goes through another office that doesn't have digital facilities, you will not be able to connect at higher than 33.6Kbps. Eventually all phone companies in North America will convert to digital facilities. Until then, it may not work for you.

Have you also checked what type your 56k modem is too, example, is it a V90??

If you upgrade to a V92 and your ISP supports it, then you will get much nearer the actual 56k and obviously see some improvement if you aren't already on it :)!!! The highest I ever saw when I used 56k all that time ago was 48,000bps, the average was 44,000bps depending ultimately on the ISP I used as that plays a part too in addition to the other issues that the guys have mentioned too!!!

I haven't had 56k either for years, and as Cobblers mentions I was on ISDN for 3 years simply because DSL wasn't available in my area until recently and I couldn't take 56k anymore for the work I did online etc, it drove me bloody nuts lol. But, as he also says, it was quite expensive but ultimately worth it, but ONLY if DSL isn't available, then DSL becomes far more cost effective etc. You do get a true 128k though and it is also Digital so line noise etc doesn't affect the connection as much. I finally got DSL too recently though and looking thru ISP prices for 56k these days too, they are becoming more expensicve again as more people transfer to DSL etc and the ISP's that were raking in the money for people on 56k 3 years ago for example are losing costs in that area as they lose business too, soon a 56k connection could cost more than a DSL one too lol!!??!!??!!??

In all honesty though, if you can't afford that right now, then your cheapest option is to do that check on if you are running a V90 or V92 56k Modem and if you are at V90 then upgrade your Modem to that V92, (a 56k Modem is very cheap these days, and the V92 variants aren't any more expensive either) although the improvement will never be massive, it will be some :)!!

Edited by Urban_Tiger

Was gonna say lol, I had several Internal PCI 56k Modems when I was stuck with it and none were "Software Modems" at all. I also had a couple of Externals too (Inc 1 U.S. Robotics) and certainly the Internal ones I had also ran faster and cleaner than the Externals too.....

Obviously much of that will be down to individual Sys Specs of Hardware and Software thatcan all have effects etc but never discount a particular type assuming that they only operate in one way etc, you may do yaself big time :o)!!!!!

• 13 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...