Joining The Military

Guest Jester

Im also very quiet, and shy, although youd never guess that here. I went in the USMC, and you would be totally amazed at how many different kinds of people there are. You will make friends, that I guarantee.

Just be yourself. No one will ask more. That, and do your job. The rest comes.

Hello all,

Phantom, I really liked your extended post you made. Very inspirational.

I'm enlisting in the USMC later on this year (sorting debts and getting in shape first). I was raised by a Force Recon Marine, of the first FR establishments in 1957 actually. He's taught me a lot, and although I haven't been through it yet, I will always remember his advice:

"Keep your mouth shut and your ears and eyes open."

I personally can't wait. I never thought I would do this up until earlier this year, but now I know it's what I want to do. I'd go listing reasons, but there are too many. I hope this topic stays active, I enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

-Deep

While all of the Posts in this Topic are excellent Information - I would like to add just a littel verve on whats already been said.

You Join up with a Desire to serve Your Country. Serving by Definition means that You will do as asked ( Commanded that is - ;) ) and that You will carry out Your Duties and Responsibilities with the most Skill that You possess.

When You complete Basic and are assigned to a Unit its assumed that You have dealt with any Descipline Issues You may have had before basic. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT Countermand any Orders given to You even If You disagree with them. Carry those Orders out to the best of Your ability as You are expected to. If You don't - You or others in Your Squad could be at severe risk - Not to mention that You'll be labeled as a Hard Case or Lamer and Your Life on Base or in the Field will quickly go down the Tubes. You only get one chance to make a First Impression...

;)

That said - A Squad goes out and comes back from OPs becuase the Men in that Squad do their Jobs as assigned. Its when You start JawJackin' and not paying Attention to Your surroundings that the Shiz usually happens to You and Your Squaddies.

Before a Squad goes out on any Designated OP theres a period where a Good Commander will canvass His men under Him for suggestions as to how to Pull of the OP to the best of the Squad's ability. Once that is done ( VIA Sandtable and ELINT gathered ) Then an S.O.P. and R.O.E. for that OP is developed by the OIC.

Its at the point of Deployment with Your Squad that all Discussions should cease. At this Point the S.O.P. is set as well as the R.O.E. and the only comment out of You should be ;

"Locked Cocked and Ready to Rock - Sir !!!"

Do the Job / Stay Frosty and as Jester has said already ;

-» Do It at Light Speed and get It done Yesterday...

Don't do that - And - If You and Your Squaddies survive the OP to return to Base / You'll not likely see Action again based on Your Inability to complete Objectives for whatever reason.

Nike likes to say It but Soldiers said It first - JUST DO IT...

Sincerely,

I would probably just go in and have the military pay for school and then get out...but who knows. As to what branch, i'm not sure yet. I always wanted to be a pilot but i don't have the grades or the dedication to go for something like that (however i may get a civilian pilots licensce).

Edited by ASF_Sidewinder

I just got done reading what you guys have written here and I am quite impressed. I (currently Army) would like to tell you one thing about what I learned back in my basic days. (which wasn't too long ago!) You talked about smart-asses and know-it-all's. Well, I don't think I could have been any more smug walking into basic. Believe you me, DI's don't take kindly to someone who thinks that they know more than they do. I certainly learned my lesson and since then a few of my friends have joined the service as well. One of the things that I ALWAYS tell them is do exactly what your DI says, never question or backtalk him/her and NEVER volunteer. :o=

well, be ready for the cold, and what ever you do, do not let the DI learn your name by being a smart ass out of season, they just love to make an example of those people. Punishment is more pushup than you can do, or maybe the famous duffle bag drag or drop. Start running now, you will need it. I did not walk many places in training, start doing some push up, sit up, and pull up now, you will be thank full when you get it. I wish you the best and remember, you are following a long line of people that have already made it, If we can, so can you. Just remember that.

Splaster

US Army 1987-1995

Are you going to San Diego or Parris Island?

San Diego wont be bad, I dont know what Parris Island is like in the Winter.

I wish ya the best. Dont give up, and keep your chin up bro.

Also, the USMC run everywhere, and they love to run ya for miles, more than once a day. Run now every chance ya get. Running, pull ups, push ups, and situps, and you will thank yourself.

Semper Fi ! !

Parris Island, since I live here in Atlanta.

I've taken in all the advice fed to me; from my father, what I've read here and on the internet, from guys that just graduated that visit the recruiting office, etc....

I've already started running, pushups, pullups, situps, etc....

And I'm not worried about the cold, I live for cold, I'm the guy that sleeps with the windows open and the ceiling fan at fullspeed in the winter. It's the heat I'm worried about, which I'm starting to get used to now as I get into shape.

I thank you all for the encouragement, and I'll keep you guys posted.

Ah, Parris in the winter...the icicles, the ice skaters, the ice fishing, the hot toddies & cocoa, the fireside chats with like minded intellects. I can still recall the warm sounds of carols resonating:

"I wish, I wish, I wish all the ladies..."

Way back when I was in boot camp at PI, we had snow once. It does get cold, but by the time you get to the cruciable, it will have warmed up some. I went through what was then known as E-Beach in January and like to have froze. The wind off the water can be right chilly.

One word of advice no one else gave. When you finally get your rifle and head to the rifle range, do exactly as the DI's and range safety officers (they willl be NCO's and Staff NCO's) tell you. Never, ever chamber a round until told to do so. Also don't entertain any thoughts of taking any live ammo from the range. You will be in deep kimchie if you do. I saw what happens when you do and it ain't pretty.

Where in ATL are ya, I am just ouside in Smyrna?

i enlisted back in march of 2000, went to basic (OSUT = one station unit training 17 weeks straight) oct 00 at Ft. Sill Ok. graduated feb 01

im a 13 bravo (Feild Artillery) i shoot the M198 155mm towed howitzer im the advanced party man i do security for the guns, tree line sweeps,mine sweeps,im the gunguide,i set it up to shoot,, im in the national guard, i got in for the education but most of all i wanted to be the one who helped my state during natural disasters and civil disobedience. i also learned that the national guard makes up more than 75% of the army's feild artillery and that my unit is attached to the 18th airborne corp. reserve unit. i sat on the bench during afghanistan and during gulf war2 i got activated for homeland security, noble eagle II, task force pheonix with the air force. to anyone wanting to enlist DO IT! or else u will never know what it feels like to be apart of something like this country's history and your states. basic wasnt easy, its 90% mental and 10% physical, but remember, appearance is 90% of the army, if u look good u will be left alone. join for a year or 4 or 8, serve your state or country or both, if u dont then u can never understand what it means personally to serve with the worlds best soliders.

Great thread guys! Thanks for putting this up and giving us all a real heads-up into military life. I myself am planning on enlisting into the Navy in about three years (after I've graduated college) with the SEAL Challenge Contract. For awhile now, I have been working out physically by accomplishing the Warning Order workouts and am now going through Stew Smith's 12 Weeks to BUD/S Workout, and I must say that anyone who is seriously determined to go into the military, let alone Special Forces from any branch, should give one of Stew's workouts a try. They will test your mettle and give you some goals to work towards as you head towards your main goal, or in my case, lifelong dream :thumbsup: .

Great thread guys! Thanks for putting this up and giving us all a real heads-up into military life. I myself am planning on enlisting into the Navy in about three years (after I've graduated college) with the SEAL Challenge Contract. For awhile now, I have been working out physically by accomplishing the Warning Order workouts and am now going through Stew Smith's 12 Weeks to BUD/S Workout, and I must say that anyone who is seriously determined to go into the military, let alone Special Forces from any branch, should give one of Stew's workouts a try. They will test your mettle and give you some goals to work towards as you head towards your main goal, or in my case, lifelong dream :thumbsup: .

stews work out huh? where can i get it? im pt'ing everyday now and my goal is to get into the mp's or airforces sp's. also looking at para jumper for the airforce. dunno yet but i do know these detour energy bars and whey shakes with a regular work out is droping the extra pounds. im back to running 3 miles a day now. any other advice ?

Yeah, you can get Stew Smith's workouts at pretty much any bookstore. I bought the 12 Weeks to BUD/S Workout at Borders last year, and you can get Maximum Fitness and some other books by him there. If not, check out www.stewsmith.com or go to www.getfitnow.com which is a great workout site and has some forums for SEAL and other Special Forces workouts.

(being in the military) I used to stay up on this thread in its early stages...but being deployed makes that kind of hard...

Besides all the stuff listed in here about joining the military...(and this may have already been mentioned)...

One of the most important questions you should ask yourself when you consider a career in the military...

Can you handle the being - "away from home"

Depending on your job (rate..mos..whatever you want to call it) only a small percentage will ever see war or combat or have to do the dirty (but necessary) job of putting warheads on foreheads...but a lot of people will be and are...deployed...some people join because they think they can be in a supportive role...they get deployed and extended too...

For example...I'm in month four of whats going to turn out to be an 8 month deployment...IMHO - thats a lot of time away from home...

For some people...young, single, wanting to experience the world...its the chance of a lifetime...for us old married guys with kids...its hard...I had to talk/look at my daughter thru a webcam and chat for her first day back at school...

I'm by no means alone...thousands share my same situation...

Something to consider...

:huh:

• 2 weeks later...