MONOLITH's back...

MONOLITH

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mono,

This is getting you into PCGamer, without a fricken doubt. A first person shooter Resident Evil with pseudo-realistic game engine? Fantabulous. Normally since I'm so busy working on my education, I pay little mind to other people's projects...because...it might sound egotistical, I know I can create better if I actually devoted any time to it...but this has got me excited. People will be scampering to download this by the masses. You've nailed a huge market potential with this one. Kudos.  :rocky:

Thanks for the compliment, but I must say two things...

GANGLAND got me into PCGamer already, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Matter of fact, I have a chip on my shoulder for PCGamer, because they don't give Modders even half the attention they deserve. When they do put us in the mag, it's usually self serving crap. They come off like they are doing us a favor. It's the other way around, IMO.

I would like to know where the royalties are for me, Bajabravo, Harntrox, The Drag team, Piccolo, and others, who have helped to sell thousands of copies.

Second, You're right. To blatantly say you could do better if you cared to try, does sound egotistical, and almost sounds insulting. If this was so easy, you would already have done it. Guys like Bajabravo, and Harntrox, and Raven dedicate countless hours of their lives to this. To just come out and say you could do better, when you have nothing on your 'resume', is pretty frickin rude in my opinion.

But, thanks for the compliments anyway.

Cheers.

*EDITED IN, 10 MINUTES LATER*

I apologize for coming off so strongly. I guess that makes me a little rude myself. But that is how your post Made me feel.

First, I'm in a bad mood because I just dealt with a total A-hole spammer at ThePLatoon.

Second, I dislike PCGamer for the above mentioned reasons.

Third, there is a lot of up-and-coming modders here at this site. There are a lot of people trying to learn, and spending much of their time dedicating their selves to modding. Many of them have already put out work that deserves a lot of credit. For someone who has not put out anything, or possibly even tried, to publically post that he could do better than all of them, is a pretty brazen statement to make. I for one, an grateful to everyone in the community, who not only support modders like me, but still continue to teach me things everyday. For someone to just come out and post something that I consider insulting to them, just sets me off.

Sorry if we're getting off on the wrong foot, but I stand by my opinion.

And to everyone of you out there who is currently struggling to master IGOR, or who is excited about putting out their first mod, I say Go for it, and don't let anyone discourage you. As far as I'm concerned, you ALL deserve to be in PC Gamer.

Cheers to all.

~MONOLITH

Edited by MONOLITH

GANGLAND got me into PCGamer already, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

You have to know how to handle those journo-jerks.

I found you have to be be absolutely specific about the "deal". For example, "Hey, here's my GR mod, here's why it's great, and here's the credits that must be printed alongside the editorial."

Then you have to follow that up with "Hi, me again - did you remember to mention A and B worked on this mod too?", a phone call works better than e-mail for that second contact.

Maybe you guys did that for Gangland, I don't know, but journo's are the same as anybody else, you get good ones and bad ones, sometimes you get turned over a little like you did with Gangland :( Using the phone is a great way of finding a good contact, expotentially better than using e-mail.

Sounds like a hastle, and it is a little bit, but these guys work pretty much flat out to deadlines, and mods are pretty far down on their "importance" list. Modders deserve the boost that a name check in a glossy mag can give, so I think it's worth hastling the guy for a few days over.

First, I'm in a bad mood because I just dealt with a total A-hole spammer at ThePLatoon.

Ooops, hope it's not the guy we just banned ..... :o=

<runs screaming from the room>

Dam that looks freaky. I don't even know if I want to download this.  

Well done Mono and Hotpants.

Hip pip! Hooray!

The last one to download it is a sissy-girl :devil:

Sure Monolith have created something marvelous, but I hope they get the sounds right. Visual is nothing without Audio.

Edited by Tollen

The last one to download it is a sissy-girl :devil:

Sure Monolith have created something marvelous, but I hope they get the sounds right. Visual is nothing without Audio.

He says they moan.

I don't mind being a sissy. I just don't want my seat wet. :D

Actually it looks too big for me to d/l.

Audio will be exceptional.

I put a lot of time into that.

I did everything from new environmental sounds, like thunderstorms, wind, etc... To the zombies, from single moans and growls to mobs of them at once.

Tollen is right. Video is lifeless without audio. Trust me, the minute you insert into the game, and you hear screams and groans around you off in the distance, in 3D, you'll know what I mean.

Everyone has different styles. Some people focus on weapons, or uniforms. I have always focused on the 'immersion' and playing experience.

Audio will be exceptional.

I put a lot of time into that.

I did everything from new environmental sounds, like thunderstorms, wind, etc... To the zombies, from single moans and growls to mobs of them at once.

Tollen is right. Video is lifeless without audio. Trust me, the minute you insert into the game, and you hear screams and groans around you off in the distance, in 3D, you'll know what I mean.

Everyone has different styles. Some people focus on weapons, or uniforms. I have always focused on the 'immersion' and playing experience.

Good to hear that!

This will be an experience!

Somewhere I read something about tombes and graveyards.

Making the zombies come out of the ground is a bit hard I think, but you could use a coffin, or a crater (as long as they dont glitch :D )

I also read about zombies eating arms and legs (wow!), I see them walking already with a arm in their mouth, or eating the fingers of a hand !

And if you kill one : two new ones arise !

Seen the movie Braindead/Dead Alive, what a bloody mess !

Another Question:

How will my AI troopers react to the Zombies?

You say that headshots are a necesity, but the only times I ever seen my troopers place headshots is when the enemeis are crounching or prone on the ground.

The zombies will be able to be killed with the usual chest shots, etc. But I'm adjusting the combat.xml, and the armor rating of the atrs so that it will take more shots than normal, to simulate the difficulty of killing the undead. (even in Playstation RE2, 6 or 8 chest shots took them down)

Point is, a brain shot will bring them down instantly, so you might need to help your teammates out, or hope they run fast and carry extra ammo.

This will make a great Multiplayer mod, due to the need for everyone to be taking headshots. But, I'm an SP guy, so I'll be sure to make sure it great for us non-MP types too.

Edited by MONOLITH

Somewhere I read something about tombes and graveyards.

Making the zombies come out of the ground is a bit hard I think, but you could use a coffin, or a crater (as long as they dont glitch :D )

I also read about zombies eating arms and legs (wow!), I see them walking already with a arm in their mouth, or eating the fingers of a hand !

And if you kill one : two new ones arise !

Seen the movie Braindead/Dead Alive, what a bloody mess !

Every one that have "the night of the living dead" as their favorite splatter:

Let us prey then that Monolith includes a lawnmover :-)

´Cause that must be the ultimate Zombiekiller :devil:

When they do put us in the mag, it's usually self serving crap. They come off like they are doing us a favor. It's the other way around, IMO.

Perhaps. Nonetheless, it's publicity on a market that spends the majority of their time reading the magazine, not surfing the ghostrecon.net boards. Can you argue against that? Heavens no.

I would like to know where the royalties are for me, Bajabravo, Harntrox, The Drag team, Piccolo, and others, who have helped to sell thousands of copies.

:lol: Start a company and officialize the modification. Or, in the copyright acknowledge include an advertisement clause. ~waves hand dismissively~ There are options you have.

To just come out and say you could do better, when you have nothing on your 'resume', is pretty frickin rude in my opinion.

~shrugs~ Quite frankly, I haven't had time. As for the quality of potential work that I can do, I'll admit, I don't have much empirical proof. However, if you respect Piccolo as much as you have publicly implied, then by the same token if he approaches me for submission help at times, don't you think it appropriate that you accord the same due respect towards myself? ~sighs~ If you really want minor proof go check out the credits on Piccolo's SEALs. :rolleyes:

As I said, it sounds arrogant out of context, but it really isn't intended that way, merely an honest proposition. For you to come off like an jerk (oh, justified because you happened to just finish ripping into some guy at the Platoon forums) towards me is fairly self-gratifying and immature in my opinion. Especially since you implicitly equate the "A-Hole" with my being a jerk, hence your arseholicious response. No one wins. Especially when you assume my credentials. Chalk it up to life experience and let's move on. :rocky:

Edited by Mark L.

For you to come off like an jerk ... hence your arseholicious response.

Heh. I thought I tried to explain my reasonings pretty maturely.

<Immature Insult Deleted by Admin>

Don't make me work harder than I have to here Mono, you know it's hard enough as it is.

Edited by Rocky

~MONOLITH ...CHANGING THE GHOST RECON EXPERIENCE, YET AGAIN.

Yes, Mono you most certainly are :lol:

We don’t hear from you often, but when we do it’s always a ground-breaking classic :D

This mod looks great, I can’t want to try it :hehe:

I’ve got a nice spot all picked out and ready on my hard drive for this mod, and I’ll definitely be hosting this in MP.

I will have to turn “show bodies” back on for this mod, otherwise the eating “invisible” bodies will look strange ;) LOL (this behaviour is scripted isn’t it ?)

:)

{EDIT}

OOPS, . . Forgot to say nice job on the models to HotPants :rocky:

also your SAS CRW model rocks, I use them all the time on urban maps in SP.

Edited by Pave Low

Actually, I do apologize Rocky, I do have a tendancy to be..um...colorful. And easily provoked. (it's the 'roids).

Anyway, back to business...This was said at the Platoon, about the "smoking" animation, so I'm posting it here as well.

Originally posted by Chems

[br]Looks to me like there crouching having a smoke.

Well, there are only so many animations the engine supports. Using them properly, at the right moments, is the trick.

Animations can be triggered with deathactor and prox triggers. Then a timer can even be added, so if you don't remove the offending zombies from your fallen comrade, its mission over.

There are only so many ways to simulate a Resident Evil type experience with the GR engine. Everything you play in any game is about illusion. Are they really eating? No, obviously not. But Will Jacobs isn't really dead, you're not really at a little farmhouse with an M16, those aren't really zombies....a gaming experience is all about...illusions.

So, yeah Pave Low, it's all scripted behavior. You have to really twist IGORs arm til it just about comes off, but so far the behaviors I'm trying to get are working.

Edited by MONOLITH

Actually, I do apologize Rocky, I do have a tendancy to be..um...colorful....... (it's the 'roids).

LMAOPIMP!!! I am laughing because - well let me say this, is it a Platoon infection or something? ('roids)

Do you know who I am talking about? :rolleyes: