Twenty Years of Ghost Recon - some memories and some prizes!

Woody2000 is still online! 😄 I was a global moderator there helping woody in the good old days haha.

I have great memories of Sunraa at ghostaholic.com too, helped me and lightspeed when developing Sniper Team mod at their forums.

And of course the best source of all, gr.net and Rocky that have kept GR mod scene alive for decades.

😎

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I always meant to put a list together like that. What’s also interesting is the number of unrelated but big-hitter sites that have disappeared while we have managed to stay online for over twenty years.  Even some corners of Ubisofts site head to dead end with old content long gone. When Ubisoft upgraded their discussion forums recently they wiped out years of discussions and started again from scratch! I spent many sleepless nights fighting with SQL databases years ago to prevent that from happening here  too big a job for Ubisoft apparently.  

There are some ghost recon sites that remain though. There’s the mod archive at woodys that deserves recognition for staying online and there’s a couple of clan sites that keep their site open every year when domain name renewal comes around, credit to them too. 

• Like 2

There aren't many games as old as Ghost Recon that have Fan Sites as long standing as GhostRecon.net -- and those are based more on nostalgia than a game that is still compelling over twenty years later. Even though by today's standards Ghost Recon looks rough and lumpy, once in -- it still oozes atmosphere, with art assets, music and sound design that consistent and congruent in way that they'll pull you in. Players new to the game discover this, then features, and an approach to game design that hasn't been surpassed or even approached in any realism game since, and then they get it -- the bug, and then they try some mods, discover this site, or a mods on Mod Db and post about their gushing enthusiasm for the new old game.

It's great fun to see that when it happens and some even drag their friends along...

Two decades in, I don't know if Ghost Recon would be as good "remastered" -- something definitive would likely be changed, I'm not suggesting it might not be a good game -- but some of the constraints RSE was confronted with forced very thoughtful, intelligent, and well-engineered design decisions, that might not be as focused, cohesive, or impressive, and it goes without saying if something good can be broken or otherwise screwed up, Ubisoft will be there maximizing exactly that. Given proper attention to what Fans were asking for around the time of Ghost Recon 2, and Ubisoft could easily have had a success on their hands that surpassed Battlefield and COD.

On a similar track, I was at one point wondering why Ubisoft had not put all the Ghost Recon expansions on Uplay, and wishing they would to make the game more accessible. As well they could easily integrate the features of the old Mplay server browser in Uplay (it's code a 12 year old could do in an afternoon), but that would never happen as having twenty-year-old acquired ip, with more people playing it than their most recent multi-million-dollar crash and burn atrocity would be simply unacceptable, and of course the game portrays politically unacceptable content, so will likely have to be removed from Uplay at some point anyway... Fortunately, Ghost Recon, and all the expansion are still available on Steam, and hopefully due to obscurity and luck stay there indefinitely as even at full boat price they're a bargain and not just classics but a high water mark in game design history!

Edited by 101459
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, riyan234a said:

It's hilarious because Wombat took the comms and edited them into ARMA because the ARMA characters can lip synch and had some cool animations. Made me laugh. It was great to hear ICE25's voice again too. I hope those Alpha Squad guys are doing okay, what great times we had playing their custom competitive co-op missions in Ghost Recon

Yep, I loved playing co-op missions with Ice and the rest of Alpha Squad, fun times.

• Like 1

I'm doing pretty good.

In March I left my job of 15 years and now work for a local charter school.

My mom has been in hospice for 2 years and is doing well, considering.

My teenage grandson keeps me busy with all his sports activities. We just finished cross country running season.  He was just selected to be on the basketball team. Next week we head to Florida for a National Baseball Tournament. 

How are those girls of yours?

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your Mum, and as expected life is keep you very busy by the sounds of it.

Girls are great thank you, one married with 2 girls and my younger one just finishing University shortly! Living life at breakneck speed these days!

• Like 1

You may recall from my blog, that my Mom has been battling cancer.  The medications that were used to treat it were messing with her mental and physical abilities.  She would experience what appeared to be strokes, but all testing showed otherwise.  Two years ago this month, she was totally incapacitated.  She could not do anything for herself physically and mentally she was somewhere in the past.  She was experiencing severe Tardive Dyskinesia (TD) even though she wasn't on any medication that causes that side effect. Once we put her in hospice, and all meds were removed, she came back to us.  She has been doing fairly well; back to walking, able to hold logical conversations, and the TD is gone.  Who knew that being in hospice would be what has saved her. 

My life is all about work and my grandson.  Since he is an athlete, he does keep me quite busy getting him to all his practices and games.   The only break I get is when he is injured.  Today he got injured so I have a week reprieve from carting him everywhere.  ROFL

• Like 1

22 years...wow....i stll hold very fond memories of spending many long nights on here, chatting with members (via MSN) and working on mods with this great community. Names like Cobra6, Whisper_44, Parabellum, Chems, Snowfella, Suicide Commando, Marcinko, Argyll and so many others. And of course, you Rocky. the leader of this crazy bunch of guys and girls. I remember getting all excited about the Forum Awards and the design contests we did ( i think i won one of those 😀) and the discussions on MSN on who was going to win.

But most of all i remember the friendship and respect in the community. we shared our 3ds files, textures, knowledge and more. If someone asked if you could make them something, you said "sure" and actually made it. Something you do not see that often anymore online or maybe i am just getting old.

I have been playing Breakpoint recently and suddenly got the urge to see what could be done with mods. sad to see we could do a lot more 20 years ago. you can not even add your own 3d models like we did all those years ago. 

But i gave it a try and spent my day in Photoshop creating some new patches. Really brought back memories and i just had to visit here again  to see what was going on.

I have been typing this with a big smile on my face!

progress01.jpg

• Like 3

On 31/10/2023 at 18:34, Rocky said:

Hey @ZJJ I have been feeling nostalgic about this old place. Do you think the discrete "message" I've added to the homepage might get noticed....?

Maybe, he has been visiting here this week!

• Confused 1