PC just blew up!'

Rocky

So I'm just browsing the web on my desktop and suddenly everything just dies, the tower grinds to a halt.

Burning smell.

######.

Pulls plug.

PSU looks likely suspect soni whipped the top off. As soon as I figure out how to post photos off my phone in here, you guys will see the true definition of DUST. Must have shorted it.

Internet by iPad for a few days then......

I *might* clean it up and then jumper it and test it with a multimeter and a few useless HDDs or stuff.. but do not go and plug it straight back into your PC just yet. If it still works, chronic overheating is not very good for it either so trusting it with valuable parts would be hard for me.

And TBH, the PSU is a very critical part of your PC so I would be very likely to just buy a new high quality one and go with that.

And make sure to clean out your PC more frequently next time. ;)

sucks man, my custom pc has had it too, died about few months ago, so im stuck with a linux laptop for meanwhile, but hey, i can still run O:GR , OUTRUN 2006 and some cool linux native games on the single core chipset

... skyrim doesnt work on linux neither does steam..

And i cant FRAPS stuff..But the playback quality on linux mint 12 is sick, so smooth on films and music 10x better than windows shiz..

But at least i have my guitar, that takes most of my free time nowadays..

Edited by squad_e

I cleaned it out, and connected it, but it just "whined", so it's a dud. Plugged in a spare 400w I had to check the PC had not been damaged and it started up okay, so no major damage.

Ordered a new 750w for delivery tomorrow.

BTW, I do routinely de-dust the mobo etc, but PSU's are generally not servicable and I don't know anyone who opens it up to hoover it out routinely LOL.

But did u test any internal components that could be worth RMA-ing?..

yeah, just make sure your work nstuff is all backed up, luckily my media portfolio is still backed up on dvds... Sadly i have no machinima videos backed up.. not so fussed about machinima work anyway..

but linux does have some neat editing softwares that you dont need licences for like slow ass adobe premiere..

Rocky, compressed air! But if you are using an air compressor( I guess the same would apply to canned air? I have never used it) make sure to not spin the fans up too fast. When I do my rig I securely hold them in place. You probably also do not want to blow full-on anyway. So either use a regulator or use a nozzly thing that allows for easy fine control instead of something that is hard to control.

Also, what brand of PSU did you get?

squad_e:

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/

Also, what brand of PSU did you get?

I went budget this time. The one that blew up was a hiper modular PSU, the replacement is a CiT Black Edition 750W PSU with Dual 12V Rails. Inexpensive, but plenty of positive reviews at Amazon.

If other people are in a position to buy a new PSU, make sure to have a browse around here for reviews:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/

Fantastic reviews! If I had seen this before I ordered a few hours ago, I would have ended up spending 4 times as much LOL. It's great reading detailed reviews like that, bookmarked site for sure, thanks.

Remember posting here a few years back, shots of inside my PC with the same amount of dust. It is a sin if I do not take my PC`s apart at least once every 3 months and clean every last part. Not to worried about warrenties, the GPU, PSU, anything that has screws, all come apart now. They are some pretty minging pictures dude.

Also surprising how many people fail to open there laptops and clean the fan vents, often leading to someone cleaning them for them and giving them a £50 bill.

the replacement is a CiT Black Edition 750W PSU with Dual 12V Rails. Inexpensive, but plenty of positive reviews at Amazon.

I have a 550w version in my PC. They are actually really good aside from the tiny cable lengths. mine hasn't done so much as a hiccup since I needed to replace my old one, which was about a year ago now, maybe a year and a half and that's with a CPU fan blowing warm air straight at it, it's quieter than my old ones too always good ;)

Edited by Zeealex

They are some pretty minging pictures dude.

Yeh, weird how dust turns to a grey blanket inside a PC.

wasn't Rocky that had that static-failure when he placed the vacuum cleaner inside the pc?

LOL, the hoover part is right, not static failure though, just heart failure when the hoover just about lifted the mobo clean out of the case though.

About a year ago, my missus' PSU died. She thought I was being a mean jerk when I said it wasn't a problem, I had some tucked away.

I was serious. I think I had one new and three slightly used (all in box) +500W PSUs of good branding hidden around the apartment.She was up and running a few minutes later,.