New PC Build - comments?

Rocky

As posted in another thread, my 7800GS AGP packed in today, so it's kind of forced the issue about building a new PC.

This is what I have in mind - any comments?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache

ASUS P5B Socket 775 Core 2 ready P965

Point Of View 8800GTS G92 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Antec Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan

Hitachi Deskstar T7k500 320GB SATAII - 3.5in 7200RPM 16MB Cache

Seagate ST3320620AS 320GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache

OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC

Using my exisiting Hiper 580w PSU, sound card, external HD and Samsung flat screen.

Sound okay?

Nice case mate, wouldnt have gone with a hitachi drive though, i'd have gone for a seagate with a 5 year warranty

PS the tri cool fans are ace, but if you want to use asus cool n quiet/qfan software you need to stick them on high or they wont spin up, my PC hardly makes any noise at all now and ticks over at 33 degrees C, once it gets warm though the fans kick in and it all works nicely.

Edited by CrowmanUK

For video... why not hit the 9000 series?

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/video-ca...oduct/sv=title/

The 9600GT is getting good reviews though i can't find a benchmark showing it against the 512mb GTS version.

They tested the new 9600GT in the lates PC Gamer SWE and apparently it's not as good as the 8800GT anyway. The difference in frames per seconds is about 5 less than the 8800GT in Crysis, 25 in Company of Heroes, and about 10 in Colin McRae Dirt.

In conclusion, it is:

+ Generally fast

+ Quiet

- Not much cheaper than 8800GT (Swedish prices though)

It's rated twice as fast at the 8600gt ... But just under the 8800GT

Rocky spec'd a 512mb GTS though. I can only find reviews of the 320mb :( and a few of the 640.

If he is getting the 8800GT then yes i would stick with it. GTS, i'm not sure of.

As for the powersupply... note he is getting a single card mainboard. That 580 is fine that he has now. IF sli... it would be a different story

Rocky spec'd a 512mb GTS though. I can only find reviews of the 320mb :( and a few of the 640.

If he is getting the 8800GT then yes i would stick with it. GTS, i'm not sure of.

The outgoing 320 and 640 are both clocked slower than the new 512Mb, which is G92. I found some benchmarks in one of my PC Pro magazines, and the 8800 GTS is definately the card to get. :thumbsup:

The outgoing 320 and 640 are both clocked slower than the new 512Mb, which is G92. I found some benchmarks in one of my PC Pro magazines, and the 8800 GTS is definately the card to get. :thumbsup:

Cool mano. It's a kinda weird after the fact rendition. I was surprized when you said 512 as i knew the GT was out but didn't know of the GTS version. It seems to be a rare one as i couldn't find the benches. Where did you find it? (for future reference)

Cool mano. It's a kinda weird after the fact rendition. I was surprized when you said 512 as i knew the GT was out but didn't know of the GTS version. It seems to be a rare one as i couldn't find the benches. Where did you find it? (for future reference)

Here's where I am getting from - ebuyer.

If you go to pcpro.co.uk you can see how it fairs in their league table, click on the link for that card and get their summary for it.

I always like Tom's Hardware when trying to find the best value components:

VGA charts

The VGA charts are awesome, but not always up to date, so you have to check out the rest of the site for the latest cards.

Best card at Price Point

I remember when it use to make sense all the designations. Now it's like is GTX better then GTS...maybe, maybe not? Shouldnt' 9600 be better then 8800? Nope. It's too confusing. You really have to do some research to make sure you're getting a good card and deal.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/163/graphics-c...ing_orderby=asc

rates it and the 9600GT the same... actually with the 9600GT on top of it.

but in the review it shows the GTS closer paced with the ultra (oddly they didn't mention the GTX)

Confusing. I guess until i see some more reviews i would say there close to the same and either card is good.

Brettzies... i checked tom's 1st. They didn't list either card :(

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/163/graphics-c...ing_orderby=asc

rates it and the 9600GT the same... actually with the 9600GT on top of it.

Actually no, you're right the 9 series is at the top of the list, however they award both cards their Recommended status, but more importantly, they show the 8800GTS to be a superior card, by some margin. They hint at that in the text review for the 8800GTS, but they have not posted up the actual FPS benchmarks - you need the print magazine to see those results.

I'll type them up and post them here for you tomorrow :thumbsup:

Couple things, do you have EVGA cards over there? They are supposed to have a lifelong warranty. I've bought a number of their low-end fanless cards and they are fine, so I just splurged a bit and bought their 8800GTX - not sure how noisy it will be ...

Hitachi Deskstar T7k500 320GB SATAII - 3.5in 7200RPM 16MB Cache

Seagate ST3320620AS 320GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache

With HD's, go for the best bang for your buck - i.e. the lowest price/GB. In Canada, right now the sweetspot is 500GB. See my calcs below:

SEAGATE ST3320620AS 320GB 16MB SATA2 $85.00/320GB = $.27/GB

SEAGATE ST3500630AS 500GB 16MB SATA2 $112.00/500GB = $.22/GB

SEAGATE ST3750641AS 750GB 16MB SATA2 $175.00/750GB = $.23/GB

Yeh I actually would have went with the EVGA because I know Roco and others recommend them, but I couldn't find a EVGA 8800GT and be certain it was the latest G92 version, the Point of View card seemed really popular at ebuyer though so I figured I'd give it a try.

HDs are dirt cheap now eh - my bro couldn't believe it when I showed him prices - same goes for RAM.

All the parts are here :D So I'll be building it tonight :thumbsup:

I made a mistake and forgot to change to the seagate initially, so I have ended up with two new HDs - the 350Gb Hitachi, and the 500Mb Seagate.

I'll use the seagate for OS, app and game installs, and the Hitachi for data (which will be backed up on my exisiting external drive).