Cheater busted w/ FRAPS

Yes we can confirm this lameoid was at BDA too. as C9.Constantine said, with tube on infinite & M99. Strange thing was, if you killed him via team kill and took his weapon it auto fired on tube or M99 full auto for you too :rofl:

plz edit this but here is the #key for your servers.

<ban hash_id="2f8fc08e50fdb8de14d6b6d02bf3d49e" name="[N8C]8In63r" ip="" duration="0" date="2007-08-01 15:19" day="2769" time="15.316667" end_day="" end_time="" />

we reserve the IP

edit add:

PM me if you want the full IP with key

I've just confirmed something. And this is something that GRIN really needs to pay attention to. Because they obviously don't know what they are doing. In other posts, and I will try to find it later, GRIN Absolutly positivly assured us that Clientside changes to weapons would NOT take place as the server would always override them. I have proven this to be a load of ######.

The hacker in question had the balls to return to the server twice. On the 2nd occasion It dawned on me. Hmm. I wonder what happens when i pick up his weapon. So I braved all odds to run into his spawn where he was TKing everyone. Kill him. Steal his MRC with the grenade launcher. And sure enough. I had unlimited grenades, and the need to reload was not there. I proceeded to "Unleashed the fury" as they say.

So Obviously. Client side changes to weapons ARE Taking place on the server

Edited by MorphingJar

The other question is why did his gun give the same abilities to the other client who picked it up? Clearly, it's uploading it's metrics to the server. So the client settings are overwriting what the server has or is allowed to set the metrics for that particular weapon. Pretty bad when all the weapon metrics should be handled by the server IMO.

The other question is why did his gun give the same abilities to the other client who picked it up? Clearly, it's uploading it's metrics to the server. So the client settings are overwriting what the server has or is allowed to set the metrics for that particular weapon. Pretty bad when all the weapon metrics should be handled by the server IMO.

According to GRIN, as was stated by a dev, It is. But as we've seen. It's not

plz edit this but here is the #key for your servers.

<ban hash_id="2f8fc08e50fdb8de14d6b6d02bf3d49e" name="[N8C]8In63r"

we reserve the IP

A name can be changed easily, so is it enough to put in

<ban hash_id="2f8fc08e50fdb8de14d6b6d02bf3d49e"

In banlist or..? and if so.. should it just be a copy/paste of the above line?

(dont have any files in my ban folder.. what should it be called, and what format. txt , html or ?

I've edited the original post, see post 2

<ban hash_id="2f8fc08e50fdb8de14d6b6d02bf3d49e" name="[N8C]8In63r" ip="" duration="0" date="2007-08-01 15:19" day="2769" time="15.316667" end_day="" end_time="" />

The ban works on multiple levels

by #key or by name or by IP , not by all, you can change your name but your #key is stilll banned, you can change your IP but your #key is still banned, you need to buy another copy. ;)

You are right FI_flimflam, the weapon mechanics should be server side, but it looks like every weapon spawned has it's own #ID and settings.

Oh man, we are gonna have a lot of Neo's running around the servers now. Where the ###### is Agent Smith when you need him.

P.S.

Constantine that is the funniest song I have heard in a videogame video TO THIS DAY. Is that from Pure Pwnage?

Edited by Bottobot

Suggestion #1

Do not allow creation of ID's or unique class types that are not defined by the server. This would prevent the client from creating a one differing from the server and the rest of the clients. This will go along way to preventing a client from creating a super gun as seems the case here.

There wouldn't be a bash in the first place if this wasn't posted

I wonder if this information can be changed at the client end to alter the weapons characteristics?

They could, but the server XML files should always override in the case of the user not being kicked by the anti-cheat, as every bullet path is determined on the server side, not on the player side.

I also find it gut-busting hilarious that these hacks surface the day after this post discussing this very thing was created.

Edited by MorphingJar

^ I believe you're taking it out of context. The thread you are referring to pertains to penetration.

Yes, it was regarding penetration:

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=44350

I actually knew it because I was the one that started the thread in the first place. I was quite brilliant in that thread.

Anyway, that quote from Wolfsong does not belong here.

^ I believe you're taking it out of context. The thread you are referring to pertains to penetration.

nope. It refers to client side changes of the .xml file that pertains to the weapon stats themselves. I believe what we are seeing here is exactly that. Someone created a weapon or altered a weapon using these methods and the server side is neither overriding the changes nor kicking him for altered game files. The fact that I can pick up a hackers weapon and use it exactly as he would is proof enough of that.

I wrote "should" not "will". I didn't write the code so don't know for sure and because of that I didn't write a definite statement. Read the post right.

But as I also wrote, in my opinion it should, so I'll alert the people who are actually writing that code so they can take a look at it.