shiny effects

Hello guys,

I’ve got a problem with the shiny effects that appear on my edited skins. I took tillyboys SPQR green skins and combined them with the lizard faces made by boltic. The shoulderpatch was a test by myself (never edited skins before =)

As you can see in the pictures beneath they look very plastic in a few levels now. So what did I wrong?

I used ddsview to unpack the dds files, edited them with gimp (free graphic program) and finally saved them with ddsview again.

Hopefully someone can help me.

Quarterback:

JWzo8UYi.jpg

Ready for bear:

KI95G3rY.jpg

Edited by Fenrir1987

Try with a black layer over the entire texture than play with transparency and contrast and it should result in a less shiny texture.

You can work with GRAW open and switching between gimp and GRAW to fast check your results!

I loved the shoulderpatch I saw tomorrow in screenshots with the screaming round face.

Negative.

When saving the File Make sure you save it as DXT3

Check the Alpha channel and make sure it has the appropriat black/white image of the skin... This controls the glossyness of the texture.

Edited by Prozac360

Im seeing people saying use DTX5 other s saying DTX3 BOTH are different.

DXT3

Loaded as RGB image with full 8 bit Alpha channel

Saved by combining the current RGB image with the current Alpha channel reduced to a 4 bit (16 level) Alpha

DXT5

Saved by combining the current RGB image with the current Alpha channel.

...as you can see the Alpha chanel is variable dependant on the format used.

So my question is which s the right one? & Does it answer this shiny issue??

Ive just made a quick rough up shoulder badge using DXT5.

Edited by TRT_Nemesis

Im seeing people saying use DTX5 other s saying DTX3 BOTH are different.

DXT3

Saved by combining the current RGB image with the current Alpha channel reduced to a 4 bit (16 level) Alpha

DXT5

Saved by combining the current RGB image with the current Alpha channel.

...as you can see the Alpha chanel is variable dependant on the format used.

So my question is which s the right one? & Does it answer this shiny issue??

Ive just made a quick rough up shoulder badge using DXT5.

I'm using DXT5 - everything is looking the way it should! :)

Same here...DXT5 is looking cool, however if you read throughsome of the user posts some are recommending DXT3 & due the 4 Channel Alpha iossue this maybe why some have the shininess.

Slightly related, is anyone also editing the Alpha layer along with the texture layer?

Im currently using the Clone Stamp in PS to complete the alpha chanel as I noticved that when amending the texture in PS the Alpha chanel also had a big bare patch,,,, again this could be causing the shiny issue.

...hope it helps someone:)

As for DXT3 Vs DXT5...try checking the .xml files associated with the different textures ;)

Here's the ghost_lead.xml file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

<texture_node category="characters" name="atlas_characters/ghost_lead" texel_format=" AF_DXT5" file_format="dds" width="1024" height="1024" nr_mips="0" halftexel_offsets="true" pad_texels_u="0" pad_texels_v="0" drop_mips="1" _editor_bold="true" xmlns:xi="x">

<texture_node name="diffuse" texel_format="AF_DXT5" file_format="dds" width="1024" height="2048" nr_mips="0" halftexel_offsets="true" pad_texels_u="0" pad_texels_v="0" _editor_bold="true">

<atlas name="diffuse_set0" file_format="dds" nr_mips="0" pad_texels_u="0" pad_texels_v="0" drop_mips="1">

<image name="ghost_body_df" pad_texels_u="0" pad_texels_v="0" rotation="0"/>

</atlas>

</texture_node>

<texture_node name="bump" texel_format="AF_BUMP_A8L8" file_format="dds" width="1024" height="2048" nr_mips="0" halftexel_offsets="true" pad_texels_u="0" pad_texels_v="0" _editor_bold="true">

<atlas name="bump_set0" file_format="dds" nr_mips="0" pad_texels_u="0" pad_texels_v="0" drop_mips="1">

<image name="ghost_body_bm" pad_texels_u="0" pad_texels_v="0" rotation="0"/>

</atlas>

</texture_node>

</texture_node>

I also use DXT5 but i do not have to edit the alph channel in PS it has never changed on me

I make a duplicate of the org dds and do new layers from the duplicate then when i am finished i just delete the duplicate and save in DXT5 i have not had any issues with the shinny affect since using this method.