Extracting Wav Sound Files

no problems here with weapons .bank, nemon's unbundler works perfectly :thumbsup:

Ehm. but the unbundler isnt enough for me. I mean, I cant get the wav's.... :(

Then I suppose you didn't change the xml b4 unpacking it with firefly's unpacker..

try this for the 50cal.. :thumbsup:

--------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

<wavebank name="50cal_wave" dir="data/sound/weapons/50cal" size_before="3430188" size="698556" compression="20 %" xmlns:xi="x">

<wave name="50cal_1shot01" file="50cal_1shot01.wav" stream="true" quality="44100 adpcm" size_before="308890" size="85560"

compression="27 %" bank="50cal_wave.bank" offset="0"/>

<wave name="50cal_1shot02" file="50cal_1shot02.wav" stream="true" quality="44100 adpcm" size_before="308890" size="85560"

compression="27 %" bank="50cal_wave.bank" offset="85560"/>

<wave name="50cal_2shot01" file="50cal_2shot01.wav" stream="true" quality="44100 adpcm" size_before="330902" size="91680"

compression="27 %" bank="50cal_wave.bank" offset="171120"/>

<wave name="50cal_3shot01" file="50cal_3shot01.wav" stream="true" quality="44100 adpcm" size_before="352954" size="97800"

compression="27 %" bank="50cal_wave.bank" offset="262800"/>

<wave name="50cal_1shot_far01" file="50cal_1shot_far01.wav" stream="true" quality="22050 adpcm" size_before="264740" size="36708"

compression="13 %" bank="50cal_wave.bank" offset="360600"/>

<wave name="50cal_2shot_far01" file="50cal_2shot_far01.wav" stream="true" quality="22050 adpcm" size_before="220698" size="30624"

compression="13 %" bank="50cal_wave.bank" offset="397308"/>

<wave name="50cal_3shot_far01" file="50cal_3shot_far01.wav" stream="true" quality="22050 adpcm" size_before="264732" size="36708"

compression="13 %" bank="50cal_wave.bank" offset="427932"/>

<wave name="50cal_echo01" file="50cal_echo01.wav" stream="true" quality="22050 adpcm" size_before="352964" size="48948"

compression="13 %" bank="50cal_wave.bank" offset="464640"/>

<wave name="50cal_loop01" file="50cal_loop01.wav" stream="true" quality="44100 adpcm" size_before="88642" size="24540" compression="27

%" bank="50cal_wave.bank" offset="513588"/>

<wave name="50cal_loop_far01" file="50cal_loop_far01.wav" stream="true" quality="22050 adpcm" size_before="142210" size="19644"

compression="13 %" bank="50cal_wave.bank" offset="538128"/>

<wave name="50cal_loop_echo01" file="50cal_loop_echo01.wav" stream="true" quality="22050 adpcm" size_before="88418" size="12300"

compression="13 %" bank="50cal_wave.bank" offset="557772"/>

<wave name="50cal_end01" file="50cal_end01.wav" stream="true" quality="44100 adpcm" size_before="220708" size="61152" compression="27

%" bank="50cal_wave.bank" offset="570072"/>

<wave name="50cal_end_far01" file="50cal_end_far01.wav" stream="true" quality="22050 adpcm" size_before="220708" size="30624"

compression="13 %" bank="50cal_wave.bank" offset="631224"/>

<wave name="50cal_end_echo01" file="50cal_end_echo01.wav" stream="true" quality="22050 adpcm" size_before="264732" size="36708"

compression="13 %" bank="50cal_wave.bank" offset="661848"/>

</wavebank>

-------------------

the unpacker just unpack a preformatted xml, but weapons' xml are a bit different, so u have to force them to look normal (adding a stream="true" after the wav name and removing the "priority something")

remember to use these modified xml just for unpacking pourpose!

Edited by DiGiTALY -TC-

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the next step. I need to make a tool to compile a bunch of wav files together into a .bank file and create the xml file for it. A little more work than extracting. If I had a little more time I could work on it now.... anyone want to write my paper and do a presentation for me? ;)

I should have some time this weekend. :)

Desmond, I was very happy to see you guys didn't use the same music that was in the 360 version. In my opinion, the rock/metal/screaming guy Ubisoft seem to be violating all the Clancy games with these days couldn't be more out of place.

Is there any chance of you releasing some MP3s of your music? Assuming you composed it, that is.

I've been listening to it via firefly's script and Nemon's tool (thanks guys), and I really can't get enough of it. However, the way it's dynamically set up - so the game kind of creates an appropriate track as you're playing, depending on the situation you're in - means it's not so good listening to it outside of the game. I've tried crudely stringing together some of the files to make something resembling a proper track, and the results are okay, but nothing compared to what could be achieved by someone with actual talent, not to mention I'm only using about half the available material.

If you have some full length songs from before they were cut up to be used in the game, I'm sure many people here would love to get their hands on them.

Tom Salta composed the music for Graw - I think he did a splendid job. Not that it's very original in style (very much "The Rock" music, much like the main score of MGS) - but very effective. However, when I first got the files I was so confused because every "act" of music had three or four very long loops with different levels of intensity, but no transitions between them.

I though to myself "how are we supposed to make dynamic music aout of this? The pieces are too long and they don't even blend together seamlessly!" - I assumed that the game should have dynamic music. After all it's 2006. I thought that kind of thing was what everyboby expects. I thought it was standard.

So, in a kind of panic I chopped up the long loops, and started to use pieces of the existing loops and blend them with an occasional cymbal or timpani drum in order to conceal the "seams". The result is all the files you can extract from the music acts that contain the word "exit" - these are the transitions between the different intensity loops.

It was a lot of work, and then our UBI producer told me the music was in fact not meant to be dymanic like that. Well you PC gamers got it anyway cause I had already done all the job. Ulf programmed the dynamic music handler and made sure the intensity of the music changed with the intensity of what's going on on screen.

If you play the 360 version you'll hear a difference in how the music is used - it will go on and off more, whereas in the PC version the music can fluently go from one level of intensity to another. To me, that says something about the quality thinking here at Grin - everybody wants everything to be the best it can be.

UBI wanted me to implement the Il Niño nu-metal tracks into the game but I did my best to keep it to a minimum - I, like you, don't like it and don't think it belongs in a Tom Clancy game. I reduced it from game soundtrack (which is how it is used in the 360 version) to an ambience effect - it is only audible from radios inside buildings here and there on the maps.

The one rock track that I used in a few key sequences (in the Hercules before you do the parachute drop, as well as when you've completed the game) was a cover of Bob Dylan's "All along the watchtower" made by some temporary all-star group with musicians from many different bands. Whitey Ford (aka Everlast) sang the lyrics but I didn't like it at all so I edited out all the vocal parts. :devil: I think movie and game soundtracks should be instrumental because lyrics often infringe on the atmosphere.

Thanks for the info, Desmond, and thank you for the effort you put in to make the music work so much better in the PC version. I honestly don't remember hearing any of it in the 360 version, except for the piece which kicks in half way through the outro, after All along the Watch Tower. I remember it playing during the embassy defence, and thinking it fitted the mood nicely, in stark contrast to all the other music I'd heard up to that point. Other than that, all I really remember are prolonged periods of silence, followed by a sudden burst of activity lasting no more than twenty seconds or so.

I love the way you've got it working now. I still remember approaching the plaza for the first time in the demo, and having the music slowly escalate as the fighting became more intense, before coming to an abrupt, yet organized, end when I took a .50BMG round in the face. The next time I tried to take a far more covert approach, swinging round the left flank to take out the machine gunner first and the music reflected that, staying relatively calm until I encountered enemies, but even then not reaching the highest level of intensity until everyone was unloading their weapons in my general direction. Eventually the music would change again, after all the enemies had been dispatched, reminding me of the victory tune from the Final Fantasy series. :) Then it went back to the nice quiet ambient track until the next fight. And all of this was happening completely seamlessly, as if it was a single track made especially for a skirmish of that exact length and content.

So, thank you for not crumbling under the pressure from Ubisoft, the game is far better this way.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm browsing my extracted wav banks and haven't found this yet in the hopes of someday KILLING IT...

"Mitchell! I need a sitrep! Mitchell! Michell! We've got a captain down...blah blah"

...ya, that crap needs to go away...both death waves...hehe

Man, still extracting away but no waves from 'the general'...where is this guy...

That audio is not available in the sound folder - it's all in the b!nk file "GKE_DEA_PLA_NLI.BIK" under data/movies.

Wee! Thanks Desmond.

That makes it easy for you folks that want to get rid of that sound. Just rename that file to something else and create a blank file in it's place. (Easiest way is just to create a text file with no text in it and name it GKE_DEA_PLA_NLI.BIK.

Makes it look a bit weird when you die, since the heli pilot shows up on the video screen, then nothing happens in the narcom, but it works.

That audio is not available in the sound folder - it's all in the b!nk file "GKE_DEA_PLA_NLI.BIK" under data/movies.

Woohoo! Thanks Desmond, you da man

And ya, that makes sense now...I've been using a mod that turns off those little movies but now I remember his little video clip...sheesh...I was not thinkin'...

Edited by Bigfoot209th

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...