display going black..

this is not for me but for a few friends... they both have nvidia 5900 ultra's (256mb). once there in the heli.. boom everything is dark. they can see outside the windows and all but cant see inside of it.. i know something can be done to fix this... any help..

ps.. updated everything for it also and no luck.

I am having the same problem!!! I have looked at information on this game and my card is not listed in the hardware specs. However, I have read an article saying that my card will work with this game.

I can see the sky fine but everything else is black. I have changed the video settings around with the same results. I have the newest drivers for my card.

My card is an MSI Geforce FX 5950 ultra 256 MB

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Edited by BaldyOneNut

have you read the minimum specs ?

Minimum specs required to run:

2 GHz Pentium® IV or the equivalent

1Gb RAM

5 GB of hard drive space

NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6 / 7 or ATI® Radeon® 9600-9800/X

or the Readme

System Requirements

Minimum:

Graphics Card: 128 MB DX9.0c compatible card,

GeForce 6200 or higher

Radeon 9600 or higher

Graphics Cards Supported:

Radeon 9600

Radeon 9700

Radeon 9800

Radeon X300

Radeon X600

Radeon X800

Radeon X1600

Radeon X1800

Radeon X1900

GeForce 6200

GeForce 6600

GeForce 6800

GeForce 7800

your GeForce 5 cards arent supported :(

its funny how the 5 series arent supported but cheaper ati 9600's are.. lol

It's all in the shader model supported. 5x series cards do not support SM2.0 and the ATI ones do. If you are seeing black I am almost certain it is because that particular shader being used doesn't have a SM1.x fallback.

Disclaimer**** I am guessing based on my knowledge of shaders and game engines in general.

I know that the card is not supported, but through other articles it states that it should still work.

The Geforce FX 5950 supports shaders 2.0 so its supposed to still run on these cards.

Any suggestions?

It does? Ok, my bad. My guess is it's still a shader thing. If you can run BF2 fine then it *should* run, but in the end I didn't make the game so I am just guessing. Let me see if it is shi[[ing with pre-compiled shaders.. hold on.......

Nope, I can't find anything. Games that use shaders usually ship with those shaders pre compiled, but sometimes they conflict with driver versions or whatever. If you delete those then the engine will re-compile them to your system. The first BF2 rev took me almost 10 minutes to start the first time because it had to compile shaders.

I'm sure someone from Grin can answer it strait away though.

-John

If you can run BF2 fine then it *should* run...

is should, but it doesnt, i have a 5600xt and i can BF2 nicely on medium settings

however i cant run GRAW.

grant it i havent even tried, cause if someone with a higher end series 5 card cant run it, im not going to waste my time trying it.

is should, but it doesnt, i have a 5600xt and i can BF2 nicely on medium settings

however i cant run GRAW.

grant it i havent even tried, cause if someone with a higher end series 5 card cant run it, im not going to waste my time trying it.

Honestly then, you can't ;) be sure.

I'm betting there is something in the engine though that makes them specifically not list those cards as compatible then. Game engines are all different so only they would know.

-John

however i cant run GRAW.

Honestly then, you can't ;) be sure.

I'm betting there is something in the engine though that makes them specifically not list those cards as compatible then. Game engines are all different so only they would know.

-John

I, as well as other series 5 users im sure, would like to know why this is.

so can anyone from GRIN fill us in?

also John, what game dev are you part of and are you taking notes for the game you are developing (if any ATM)

Edited by shadow2k1

It dosen't make too much sense to leave so many people out of a game just because they don't want to put a little more work into their game.

I can't understand why they would want to lose out on so much money, I would buy even I could play it on low settings, but I'm not going to fork out $300 so I can play one game.

I can play every new game out there with even some settings on high with no problems.

I have the same problem. I can see the sky and Alpha textures such as car windows, steelights etc but everything else is black. There is also no map!

I too am running an FX5900 Ultra with 256.

I am hoping that this a "Doh!" moment by the makers and will be corrected. Lets hope we don't return to "Gfx Wars" that we had a few years back.

Read the SPEC, you have an incompatible 5 series Geforce card.

Spec says Geforce 6/7.....

Just because a card is not supported, it does not mean the game will not work. I have seen many games play on cards that are not supported and I have seen some post here from people with unsupported cards playing the demo.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never been any further than Black Screen Have tried Tech Support solution even downloaded new patch still black screen.Running Pent4 2.66 2gbRam GF6800 SB AdigyLS card all with Latest Drivers.If I close down every thing running it will work but its bind close down every thing to play one game.Anyone got any ideas or have I missed a solution on forums please let me know.

"You Never Hear The Shot That Kills You"

I've had a "similar" issue; when I first started the game and configured the graphics settings, the image scrambled, when exitting and rebooting the game, it was black as night, couldn't see anything. I had a feeling it had to do with my LCD resolution (1280*1024).

I resolved it by manually resetting the resolution (renderer_settings.xml) to 1024*768, booting the game and setting it back to 1280*1024. It's worth a shot if nothing else has helped you...

PS: I've never had that again, however, when I try to play multiplayer, the screen scrambles up in the same way I described above. I haven't been able to solve this. SP works fine, MP is kind of dodgy, haven't really looked into this yet tho.

PS2: found another accurate description of what I had/have here. Eventhough the anomalies have disapeared in SP, trying this sugested solution for MP.

Edited by pHk