DYNACOMP

F'n New Guy

This sounds very interesting.

I thought dynamic campaigns in GR were impossible as you can't generate mission "results" that can be read by an external app (DCG for IL2 as an example). Or can you?

I'd have thought that you'd have to offer a score or a code of some sort that the user would manually input into an external that'd decompress and install the next mission? But that would suck, as anyone with IGOR could check the script and cheat ahead...

Can't wait to see how you've managed it. Cool concept :thumbsup:

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'd like to make some of the missions playable in co-op, because they'd be alot of fun, but we'll have to look at the logistics of making our missions MP-compatible. I do know that some of them do work in Co-op, because CQB and I have run through them. I can think of one mission in particular that would be completely awesome in co-op, though very awkward at the same time.

To expand upon what Rocky said, DYNACOMP is not a traditional mod. One of our main goals is to increase the immersion factor of the game, and we're going to do that by adding an RPG element to Ghost Recon. Barring any unforseen brick walls, we're on track to do pretty much everything that we set out to do. When you play DYNACOMP, you'll create an in-game persona, that you can pretty well customize to your liking, and that persona will be the character that you play throughout the mod. You'll build up your character, and send him to various special schools, if you so choose after earning the opportunity. I could go on about how different the missions are that we've got so far, but I'll stop here. Suffice to say, each mission is completely different from the next, and each is cool in its own way. All of our scripters are talented guys, and I've been pretty well amazed by their skill (and the amount of lead flying through the air) in creating these gems.

----------

I'm also still looking for one or two more guys to help us with map-making. Hartog, creator of the Traffic Jam map, has joined up with us, and, I have to say that, so far, I've been impressed with his ability to almost read my mind when it comes to knowing what I'm looking for.

----------

This may be the last big update I'll post for awhile. School starts on March 2nd, and I'm going to be slammed busy getting ready between now and then. But we'll make sure that someone keeps you all posted and drooling.

:)

This sounds very interesting.

I thought dynamic campaigns in GR were impossible as you can't generate mission "results" that can be read by an external app (DCG for IL2 as an example). Or can you?

I'd have thought that you'd have to offer a score or a code of some sort that the user would manually input into an external that'd decompress and install the next mission? But that would suck, as anyone with IGOR could check the script and cheat ahead...

Can't wait to see how you've managed it. Cool concept :thumbsup:

Hehe - the GR engine is capable of alot more than you may realize. Between the lot of us, we've pretty well got it figured out. There is the occasional bump in the road, as is to be expected when you're practically re-paving said road, but, I'm pleased with our progress thus far.

What type of Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) is the mod going to offer? Ranger? SF? This mod sounds, and looks, incredible! :D Keep the great images coming. I can't wait!!

You'll have the opportunity to go to Ranger School, SFAS (we'll do our best to represent the SF selection/training process in an enjoyable gaming environment), and some other special schools. Again, though, you'll have to earn the opportunity to become a Ranger or a Special Forces operator; we're not just going to give away those opportunities.

----------

I've said it before, and let me emphasize it again; cheaters will be out of luck here. Yes, you might be able to cheat your way through the missions, but you'll just be cheating your way to an early retirement. Our campaign structure is completely different from the way that GR normally handles mission progression, and using console commands, or blasting your way through won't do you much, if any, good. :)

----------

Sorry for all the posts, but each time I reply, someone else posts again!

Okay, I have to have another guess because I'm intrigued, and I can't help it... :wacko:

Rocky said that co-op is basically thinking within the box so:

To make a dynamic campaign you need to be reading some kind of mission output and the only output source I know of is the missionstat.html... So I'm guessing that you're making an SP campaign that you play through the listen (MP) server. Mission results are generated to missionstat.html and then interpreted by the Dynacomp app [Way possible, as loads of stats are available including the status of all the actors at mission end].

It's the app that holds your avatar data and allows you to make your RPG selections before serving them to GR MP for play. DynaComp is the name of the app?

I'm probably way off, but that could work too :)

You'll have the opportunity to go to Ranger School, SFAS (we'll do our best to represent the SF selection/training process in an enjoyable gaming environment), and some other special schools. Again, though, you'll have to earn the opportunity to become a Ranger or a Special Forces operator; we're not just going to give away those opportunities.

I can't wait for the challenge!! I think this is a very inventive concept by the DYNACOMP team and it sounds like it's going to be a hit. Nice work so far!

Okay, I have to have another guess because I'm intrigued, and I can't help it... :wacko:

Rocky said that co-op is basically thinking within the box so:

To make a dynamic campaign you need to be reading some kind of mission output and the only output source I know of is the missionstat.html... So I'm guessing that you're making an SP campaign that you play through the listen (MP) server. Mission results are generated to missionstat.html and then interpreted by the Dynacomp app [Way possible, as loads of stats are available including the status of all the actors at mission end].

It's the app that holds your avatar data and allows you to make your RPG selections before serving them to GR MP for play. DynaComp is the name of the app?

I'm probably way off, but that could work too :)

I'm not telling how we're doing what we're doing. We're tentatively planning on releasing modding tools to the community either when the mod comes out, or sometime thereafter, which will allow modders to create their own dynamic, non-linear campaigns. We've also got some other cool stuff in the works, thanks to DonMiguel and his seemingly endless imagination. :)

On another note, the DYNACOMP story is so big and so deep, that I think modders will be able to do their own spinoff campaigns from the DYNACOMP story. More than one person who read it, jokingly said that I should become a writer. :P

Finaly there are people that realize Single Player is still a game option.

From what i read it will be a Ghost Recon 2 alpha  .

I don't know about that. Remember, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. While we're figuring out how to do some really cool stuff, there are also some differences that you're going to have to accept and get used to, in order to play and enjoy the mod. Hype is good, but don't think that we're painting the moon or something equally astounding.

thanks to DonMiguel and his seemingly endless imagination.

Thats the nicest way of saying I have a "knack for pulling wild and crazy stuff out of my butt" that I've ever heard <sniffle> :'(

Dang DM, you could steal the show around here with a sig like that!

DonMiguel

with a knack for pulling wild and crazy stuff out of my butt

:yes:

Some more renders for you all. The two guys kneeling are skinned with my DYNACOMP desert skins. I haven't updated them with the new gloves and boots, but I do have them done. I included a desert version of Henry Ramirez, so you can see what they look like in comparison to RSE's skins. Click on the thumbnails for larger pics. 56k users beware, these images are huge.

desert_wide_03_thumb.jpg

dsrt_rflmn_wide_01_thumb.jpg

dsrt_rflmn_wide_02_thumb.jpg

The M4's in the renders are the final versions, unless I find some other small details that I don't like. As you can see, though, everything is extremely detailed. The character textures are 1024x1024, and the M4 texture is 1024x512. The other textures, such as the AN/PEQ-2, the ACOG, and the M68 are all 512x512.

SO how will it look ingame?? LIke every other skin??

Well the thing that he handle the weapon so cOol is still great.

I'll take some in-game screenshots when I have some free time and post them. Seeing in-game screenshots just doesn't do the skins justice though.

damn is that a photo behind the guys or why is the grass looking so fuc*ing great i mean it is lookin REAL

It's a real photo behind them, set up with a matte/shadow material.

Edited by Parabellum