Dragon Rising - Map making?

So anyone here working on any maps for this? coops and sp preferable as that's all I really like in this game. It would be nice to get some people to talk about and get a help group going for this. I know I'm not very good at the coding for this yet, but I am slowly learning it and I'm sure there has to be other people in the same shoes as me.

Maybe we can get something going and get some more maps out for this and get this game off its feet. :)

[Moved to the correct forum (as that one was only for COMPLETED mods - as per the description)]

Edited by Pave Low

I am and so are a few others but because of hostility to Cm & people praising this game I've decided to keep myself to myself and do it on the quite. Sad really when you get so many die-hards attacking a good game but I just got fed up of the Mr. negatives.....

All the best, lua is really easy......

A map can be made for SP and MP. With a script (mission) or not, so yes a mission is played on a map. Correct me if I’m in the left field, but from what i know it is not possible to create a new map with this editor. Only missions. The island is the island and that’s it.

Have yet to open this editor so somebody more qualified might answer your question, but here is my general understanding of content created by the community…

Map = Making a playground from the bottom up. That includes terrain, vegetation, buildings, entities etc that are included in the editor.

Mission = Making a script on an existing map. Objects scan be placed on this map to create a new setup on the same environment.

Mod = Modification of existing game files to modify the mechanics of a game or looks.

Total conversion = To import and create new files in order to change a game to something else.

So with OPDR, we have 'Scripters' and 'Modders', but no 'Mappers'. Or do we :huh:

Due to unfortunate tagging convention we refer to ppl that make missions as 'Mappers' or 'Modders', when in fact they are more like 'Scripters' but there are some map making elements in their work, such as replacing objects to fit the scenario on the map. Same for ppl that make total conversion of a game, they are referred to as 'Modders', when in fact they should be called 'Devs' or 'Developers', but this tag already designate the original 'makers' of the game. The ones that modify games files should be called as such… 'Modders'. Folks who make map, 'Mappers'. Mission, 'Scripters'. Total conversion…. 'Converters' :s

:wacko: gee, I think I just confused myself

So to clear this once and for all just won’t happen Lighty.

So anyone here working on any maps for this? coops and sp preferable as that's all I really like in this game.

I'm actually more hooked on the mission editor than playing the game. This thing is amazing, and after getting the grasp of some Lua basics, it's amazingly easy and intuitive. The possibilities seem endless too. Lot's of possible random events. I've always felt overwhelmed by editors and never got into scripting, but this is actually very fun. I have so much respect for the Lua designers; it takes intelligence to make something easy to understand.

"The chief virtue that language can have is clarity."

-- Hippocrates

Edited by doubletap

Sorry for that confusion but I refer to mapping as taking the map/mission editor and making something new from that. =P

But yes, in this case for this game I meant is anyone into the mission scripting for this game.

*Sorry for putting that in the wrong forum. I guess I cant read descriptions very well =X*

oh, heh, hmm how can i say this?

First, the MP and Coop maps are not separated in different folders. Then the 'Betas' and the finished maps are together. Also these words from an old wise man come to mind… 'We do not wish for quantity, we want quality'.

:(

in light of this website ofphq.com do you think I should still keep the website up? :):P www.epgamers.com/ofpcustom

if we get in to any other game that has a editor then I can always change the website for that game. ie... Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2,Battlefield: Bad Company 2 :)

Sorry if this is off topic.

well actually quite the opposite my friend, there is plenty of room for a well organized site for OFDR community made content.

Have strict guidelines for uploaders. Have categories for maps / mission like Beta, Finished maps. Separate things to make it clear. SP. MP. Coop. Have a rating system. Be brutal. Only the best make the final cut.

Folks will appreciate it, and it would distinguish your site from the others. Right now, it's a free for all.

Edit:

Just to give you an idea. If i had my site for user made content, maps that don't include amo crates from the spawn point to offer the choice of riffle for the players, would not make the final cut for Coop. That simple.

Edited by RatoN

Just to give you an idea. If i had my site for user made content, maps that don't include amo crates from the spawn point to offer the choice of riffle for the players, would not make the final cut for Coop. That simple.

Of course it would be ur site but that doesn't make it a good idea :D

U can decide which one to upload or not since it's ur site, but u shouldn't.

First, cause the creator could create the mission balanced for what he thinks it's the best to be played.

And second cause ur tastes don't have to be what everybody wants.

Hey Big :)

Yes I would agree, all maps should be made available but we could agree that :

*. maps that don't loadup or make the game crash (and it is that case for some) would be in the 'Beta' section.

*. distinct sections.

a) SP. MP Infiltration. MP Annihilation. Coop.

b) Beta. SP. MP Infiltration. MP Annihilation. Coop.

c) Community’s picks. SP. MP Infiltration. MP Annihilation. Coop.

If a mission is SP in it's conception, then yes i do understand the creator might want to impose his scenario, and decide what riffle you will play with, even if i think it's a terrible idea. Coop though, gimme ammo crates from the get go or i won't play them.

I think there is room for a more organized site.

I didn't comment anything about organizing the website, mainly cause i didn't visited it. If u check armaholic.com i guess we have it well organized (there is always room for improvement) : sp. coop, mission packs, campaigns and mp gamemodes (sections here can be improved anyways and planned for next update).

What i meant it's that in a "public" service you shouldn't decide nor talk about quality, that will only bring problems. We had something like that in armaholic, not that it was to forbid addons, it was to "review them" and based on some non subjective points as no rpt errors, lods, texture quality, something original... give them a "rating". It only caused troubles and it wasn't even anything subjective nor the project team would say don't download this, nor we wouldn't host the addons.

At the end to see if something is great u just need to check the downloads it gets. I say great cause to me anything created is just good from the beginning. So good, great or amazing i would say those are the possibilities.

For sure there should be a version status, but that depends on the author as how he thinks his creation is. The site should list just project version and then people should decide if give it a go or wait for "final" releases. (with "" cause problems always appear after that versions see light)

QUOTE(RatoN)

QUOTE ((Big)

Of course it would be ur site but that doesn't make it a good idea.....

First, cause the creator could create the mission balanced for what he thinks it's the best to be played.

Always leave it up to the player. More replay value. Using the weapons of your choice allows you to play the mission a variety of ways, if like me, you play according to the role dictated by your gear.

And second, cause ur tastes don't have to be what everybody wants.

Precisely my point.

Edited by doubletap

I plan to learn this editor and create some SP maybe coop missions myself...got digital imaging project(s) to consider and other real life stuff plus needing to learn how to use editor and where to get this language and how to use it...sounds easy from above posts though...GUI looks easy enough...

mig :ph34r:

actually the really cool thing about this game from the editor is the fact that you can just place up to 60 guys/vehicles combo and they will just go at it pretty much and do what they want. You really only need to get into scripting if you want to get into more than that and precise events or actions taken by the AI. Its kinda neat to make a small mission like that and just have fun fighting the AI and watch them jump in vehicles and start using them to attack you.