How did Serellan get so many pledgers..

It also came up on somebody's blog, Will Wright maybe? Sent a bunch of people over to support it. Since GB came afterwards, in terms of Kickstarter, a lot of that crowd found themselves asking "wait, didn't I just support this game?" even though there is some pretty obvious differences. Given that I got my start with Rainbow Six, then went into Ghost Recon, I supported Takedown first. If I could've afforded it, i would've supported both.

Ground Branch has, correct me if I'm wrong, been around much longer than Takedown but the latest GB kickstarter took place after Takedown's first kickstarter.

Correct, But some years ago GB gave its followers a chance to donate towards it along time before kickstart was around.

Edited by Hammer

I was an early supporter of GB and have the special coin. And yes it was before the Kickstart effort.

I also supported the latest GB effort, but was a little surprised at the amount that was needed. I believe many of us supported both.

Edited by Kingkat

Call it "sticker shock"... not sure how to translate it to your native language.

Remember as a kid, you saw a toy on a shelf, and you wanted it, only to find that it cost a lot.

That's sticker shock.

When Kickstarter have games coming out, most of them were, Flash-based, relatively "cheaper" than most 3D graphic games.

Less than $50, 000.

When Takedown came out, not sure what people were reading, but the premise of the Kickstarter was to build a studio.

Not a game.

Hence, the Kickstarter goal was, relatively cheaper.

When GB KS came, it asked for a FULL GAME support. Hence, FULL licensing, etc. and majority, including myself, didn't know how much those software cost. JohnS mentioned a software used in the MOH, Audodesk and Unreal Engine 3 and how much those cost, and it blew my mind!

So when gamers saw the price, majority were turned off. It was too much for them to comprehend.

Majority of pledger also didn't understand how KS works.

So, I'm not saying Serellan mis-represented himself and his company, most people just either didn't understand what they were pledging or read between the lines.

I hope his game do come out. I really do. I'm just more biased towards GB since I saw "more" on this project than Takedown.

Hope that helps.

For whatever reason Serellan is successful in KS don't blame them on lying because GB is tanking.GB has been in somekind of production since 2004 than is almost a astronomical 10 years in production time. There is a ton of problems GB has but Serellan isn't one of em.

• 2 weeks later...

Why must you always misrepresent and trash me twcrash? Not exactly sure why you have a grudge.

We started doing some initial design stuff to try to sell the idea to a publisher in 2008. No money, just the idea and some the hope that our background carried weight. It didn't. Then production went off and on for a few years as best we could while working full time jobs, all the while trying to find funding. I have a family to support and for various reason have not been able to crack that funding nut, so I have to work many long hour contract jobs. It's just life. No hidden agenda, no conspiracy and certainly no blame for others.

As for the KS, I put forth an in depth plan and a true represenation of the costs involved to make the game as it was presented. Nothing more, nothing less. Serellan took a different approach and put forth a goal to get enough money to produce a Alpha build to use to achieve further funding. It also can not go undaid that the Playstation SOCOM community stepped up in a big way for Takedown because they promised a console version of the game at some point. We made it very clear there was no console game in the plan. When will a console Takedown come out? No one knows. One is not right or wrong, just different approaches.

I can guarantee you that when Takedown is complete, they will have spent a lot more money than I had spec'd out for GB. What would have happened if he didn't get any further funding? I'm sure there would be a lot different conversations going on. Christian decided to take a risk that I was not willing to do and it paid off for him.

As for "sticker shock"... that one really boggled my mind. Everyone knows that AAA games like this take $10-50mil to make so how $400k "blew people's minds" I have no idea.

As for the donations a few years ago.... I recieved about a total of $900 in all. That has paid for web site hosting so far. Not something I would look at as anything significant or noteworthy.

jsonedecker, on 01 May 2013 - 18:56, said:

When will a console Takedown come out? No one knows.

It will be shipping on multiple platforms this year, at least according to the press release that their new publisher put out. I'm sure we'll hear more details during E3.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/186743/505_Games_Joins_Forces_With_Serellan_To_Bring_TheirKickstarterfunded_Tactical_Shooter_To_The_World.php

The SOCOM community got behind Serellan, much to the annoyance of many old-school tactical FPS lovers (myself included). Even with that support, Takedown struggled, right up to the end and got lucky with various posts/tweets/what have you by 'high profile' people.

Ground Branch did remarkably well - more then $100k with out major endorsements or compromising on its vision. I'd imagine it would have done better if there were less naysayers and more people willing to put a little bit of money where their mouths were.

To finish, should I give a who twcrash is?
They appear to do nothing but stroke their own ego and whine at people.

2657402453_why_dont_you_just_PAY_ATTENTI

Why must you always misrepresent and trash me twcrash? Not exactly sure why you have a grudge.

Probably because he got banned for stating his opinion on your website.

As for "sticker shock"... that one really boggled my mind. Everyone knows that AAA games like this take $10-50mil to make so how $400k "blew people's minds" I have no idea.

Maybe if you actually cared enough to read someone's post COMPLETELY you'd learn something. Corporal Ledanek's point is very obvious:

When Kickstarter have games coming out, most of them were, Flash-based, relatively "cheaper" than most 3D graphic games.

Less than $50, 000.

It seems Kickstarter is mainly used for small flash games that cost less than fifty-thousand dollars.

When GB KS came, it asked for a FULL GAME support. Hence, FULL licensing, etc. and majority, including myself, didn't know how much those software cost. JohnS mentioned a software used in the MOH, Audodesk and Unreal Engine 3 and how much those cost, and it blew my mind!

So when gamers saw the price, majority were turned off. It was too much for them to comprehend.

So, I'm not saying Serellan mis-represented himself and his company, most people just either didn't understand what they were pledging or read between the lines.

Ground Branch was not a shock because it cost more than it should; it was a shock to people who didn't understand the concept or who weren't used to such big projects being supported on Kickstarter. That's Ledanek's VERY obvious point.

EDIT

To finish, should I give a ###### who twcrash is?

Probably, since he's been an active member since 2006 and contributed a lot to the community through his clan. His opinion holds a lot more weight with me than a two-time poster's opinion does.

Edited by RileyFletcher_01

jsonedecker, on 01 May 2013 - 18:56, said:

When will a console Takedown come out? No one knows.

It will be shipping on multiple platforms this year, at least according to the press release that their new publisher put out. I'm sure we'll hear more details during E3.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/186743/505_Games_Joins_Forces_With_Serellan_To_Bring_TheirKickstarterfunded_Tactical_Shooter_To_The_World.php

Cool... missed that one. :thumbsup:

Probably because he got banned for stating his opinion on your website.

No, that was you. And it wasn't for an opinion, but personally attacking other forum goes and staff. Lets not go down this road again please.

Lets not go down this road again please.

Fine with me.

Oh, if you're going to respond to part of my post please acknowledge the rest of it that actually pertains to the conversation.

Sure why not...

I fully understand the opionion that Cpl Ledanek wrote and simply offered up my view on it. No excuses or twisting of words, just how I viewed it. By the time we tried a Kickstarter, KS was well on its way with multiple projects asking for and recieving over $500,000. It had already become a place where projects larger than the $50k and under type were prevelant. So us coming in and asking for such an amount was neither unheard of nor unusual.

Although, a lot of the people that did take interest in the project simply did not understand the unique approach of Kickstarter and what it was all about. They chose to nitpick the project and worry about what wasn't there instead of embracing what was and what could be.

Anyway, I fail to see why you think I was avoiding his viewpoint.

"And once again Ground Branch has claimed another totally different thread for its own"

RileyFletcher_01

I did not talk about GB kickstarter but Takedown kickstarter. Please keep it on track John.

Edited by teppe

"And once again Ground Branch has claimed another totally different thread for its own"

RileyFletcher_01

I did not talk about GB kickstarter but Takedown kickstarter. Please keep it on track John.

Ummm... Others took it off track by adding GB to the discussion not me. Then GB got the standard trash talk that it does here so I simply do what I can to protect the integrety of myself and my intelectual property. That is all.

Moving on......

Maybe if you actually cared enough to read someone's post COMPLETELY you'd learn something. Corporal Ledanek's point is very obvious:

Less than $50, 000.

It seems Kickstarter is mainly used for small flash games that cost less than fifty-thousand dollars.

-------- Actually, Kickstarter had other Unreal Engine games that cost about the same as GB. Except, they were not FPS, oddly enough. As I reply, I'm searching Google what those KS were. Most the KS I was eyeballing were more on the Photography side, coffee-related-mugs/thermos, Architectual, etc...none gaming related. Then, an iOS-based game caught my eyes. Then I searched KS, that lead or stumbled upon those Unreal-based games. Some were more mod-based actually. Then some were like Little Planet-like games. Those were tapping on the $50,000. There were few Valve-Half-Life, but got dismissed by many because, again, it was perceived as mod and why pay for an astronomically priced project game. Some discussions you could almost tell, who are, hmmm... minors???? Then some were from the "coding industry-circle", because they would discuss the various softwares and add-on softwares, and others are resource materials softwares like Speedtree, and such.

As an investment standpoint, of course, you would want a low-cost investment, like those Flash-based and iOS-based, or should I say licensed based game.

If you go back to Kickstarter now, you got Hollywood celebrities who got a "wiff" of what KS is about, some wanting to make a movie, using KS as a resource, vs going to Hollywood Studios, who may or may not be banked by Greek, Italian, India or Saudi big boys. Disney even is taking interest on how KS works.

So KS has made a major turn.

So I guess its true with all business start up: its all about timing. I have zero timing! Ask my wife. Hence, I'm a consumer, not an entrepreneur like JohnS or Serellan. Hence I tip the cap to both of them.

In a parallel world, JohnS and Serellan are probably laughing their butts off on our bickering. That is, in a parallel world. :flowers:

Ground Branch was not a shock because it cost more than it should; it was a shock to people who didn't understand the concept or who weren't used to such big projects being supported on Kickstarter. That's Ledanek's VERY obvious point.

EDIT

="ipsBlockquote">

------- Hate getting old because I can't remember the name of the game at the moment, but there was a game, not same genre, that makes GB asking price, hmmm....chump change?

How do you say chump change in Teppe's language? :hmm:

I appreciate when someone would share TD's progress, it gives me hope that Tactical gaming is making a comeback. Sometimes as I walk the gaming isle of a store, I shake my head at how little PC gaming there is now, vs console. How I wish TD AND GB has such strong following as such as GR, or I dare say World of Warcraft, and Sim.

Some game out there are pretty much the same engine = skeleton, just different skin. Maybe I'm getting old, but when I see a so-called tactical game on console, to me, it translate as begin the game by rushing into it, find a crate to hide behind it, peek and shoot, hide behind crate, peek and shoot, rush, trigger a system, find a crate.

I guess, my teacher was ahead of his time, when he was forced by the school system, to make his test "multiple choice-based" or "true or false-system" vs fill in the blank or essay test.

Kids now a days, make decisions based on multiple choice, vs critical thinking.

Again, maybe I'm getting old.

See what you started Teppe? :whack: you made me age myself :

See what you started Teppe? :whack: you made me age myself :
LOL well at least he only aged you, and didn't try changing your Gender

Teppe "She comes and goes. Not sure when she was last active? Would love if Apex could get one up, because the server she previous set up was pretty nice. "