Operation Arrowhead, ready for beta testing

Hi all,

Operation Arrowhead is now ready for testing.

Again this map is made up of custom buildings only, plus there are 11 new ones, see pics below.

Custom sounds:

There are 71 custom sounds in the mission which includes, new ambient sounds and new sounds for props.

The sound mod is included with the download but if you have already installed it then you won't need it.

I would also like to thank Radiator for letting me use some of his sounds from the Blackhawk Down mission.

New features:

There are many new features in this mission, you will find new barriers, doors and new overlays for the laptops, there are many more but I'm going to let you find these for yourself.

Map name for dedicated servers:

coop_tc02_operation_arrowhead_v1

Have fun,

John

arrow01.jpg

arrow02.jpg

arrow03.jpg

arrow04.jpg

arrow05.jpg

arrow06.jpg

Download:

Operation Arrowhead v1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John,

I cannot say enough about the "WOW" factor in this mission. I love all the new things you keep bringing to this game! I gave you most of my feedback in the alpha version so I will let everyone else go "gaga" over all the new props, sounds, buildings etc. that are packed in this mission. AWESOME!

Most of the problems that I ran into were in the underground bunker. In level A (first level) I found that I could not get the downloads from the computers by standing in front of them. Since there was an AI in front of both computers on that level all I could get to come up was a prompt to pick up their weapons. However, I found that if I stood in the hallway/room next to the room that the computer was in I could get a prompt to download the codes from there. Huh?!? So there is something strange going on there.

The same thing happened when I was on the level with the train. As I went to the back of the train car to place the C4 there I was prompted to "Press X to open...." a door of some kind. Of course, there is no door there. I can only assume it was on the next level below/above me. I could also get that same prompt to open the door from the hallway that leads to where the train is parked.

I tried clearing rooms down there with a GL and it created a lot of clutter with furniture blocking doorways and such. I'm not sure that the players would find clearing the furniture with explosives too easy since the rooms are rather small and nades have a way of landing where you didn't intend them to. It might be a good idea to lessen the amount of furniture in these rooms to minimize this happening.

Other than that I could find nothing else to complain about, probably because every time I turned a corner I would scream "JOHN IS FREAKING REDICULOUS" whenever I saw a new prop or building or heard a new sound!

Cheers,

Rahn

x2 on what Rahn said. Same problem with the X in the bunker. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on since the X's were appearing elsewhere in the room. Love the hidden bunker BTW!!! That's actually my favorite part of the whole mission. Although, the new air towers are pretty cool too.

So far, I just ran through quickly in God Mode. I got tired of killing guys and decided to just run through to finish the objectives since I was running out of time. I'll test more later. But even though I left a lot of AI alive, I still have over 400 kills (was playing in Hard mode).

Your new missions are putting the original GRAW 2 missions to shame!

Hi Rahn & Jack.

Thanks for testing the mission.

These on screen messages are causing some problems in my missions since I started using the new animated props, the way these work is that they will stay on the screen until you press "X" there is no way to change it. This is fine when the props are not close together but in the bunker there are a few animated props so the messages get confusing.

I need to rework all the props for this mission, at the moment the only alternative is to use the same switch as I use for the "Hard" and "Ease" option at the start of the mission, this will always work fine but the downside is that the onscreen message will always be "Press x to activate alarm" this message is linked to the prop and cannot be changed, I think that is a price worth paying to get the mission working correctly.

I will still look for a fix for the current method but I'm not hopeful.

John

Just got a crash near the end where you have to call the Air Strike, some other guy joined aswell at that point and I also found a place where you can get outside the map.

Crash in application version: 30899.3048

data\lib\units\extensions\inventory.dsf(-1): cant find member: player_data in type <Unit>

Renderer: threaded

Physics : threaded

John, I had the same problem as Rahnman in the bunker on level A. Also the message for The triggers 05c and 05c1 o5c2 never got cleared from the screen. When I went to clean up the level of the last of the Ai, it started lagging so bad I could not move, after about 5 min. I crashed out of the mission. When I tried to reload it, I got the message that my CDkey was already in use and could not get back in.

By the way, it was myself and Mongo playing this last night on the TAW server and we had been over 2 hours and had not cleared a single objective by that time. This one is a killer--keep up the good work.

Edited by mexicobob

Hey John,

Yesterday afternoon i have tried the map with Rico686, DERAT an Boebes.

I was hosting (Rahnmans). first we didn't had anyproblem until MI17B (we still had to clear MI17A) and i crashed.

same error message as Blame...

So i started the game up again but at that point we could not finish anything at "laptop"

so i restarted the game again but it made no difference? i dont know if its the map or just my system what had a problem?

After that Boebes hosted the map and all went good until we were near "call airstrike" and he at that point. so we havend finished the map jet but what i can say its for as far as i know now a very nice map

aspecely the basement..

I hope to play the map soon again and i hope to finish it without any crashes.

Thanks for testing folks.

I'm currently working on a new version, all the doors in the bunker will have a new switch to open them so this will stop all those confusing onscreen messages, also changing all the furniture props from dynamic to static this will stop them moving around but it's taking a while.

I will also move the AI that are near any laptops, computers or props that you need to use.

Bob, not sure why the trigger messages stayed on screen or why you experienced bad lag, I'll look into it.

Should be a new version up in the next day or two.

2 times in a row from starting over I ended up spawning inside the bunker with those 2 laptops in it, before even opening the doors, I died before reaching it, I have some footage of it, but I'm too lazy to upload it :D

Edited by Blame

Bob, not sure why the trigger messages stayed on screen or why you experienced bad lag, I'll look into it.

Should be a new version up in the next day or two.

I think the changes you make may fix things John.

But just to add to what Bob said...I jumped in after Mongo was out, but just before Bob got his errors. Since I came into his map with the problems, I encountered the inability to clear level A too. It was sort of stuck in some loop. But I'm not sure if it was your map or the server. I left level A as is since it wasn't working, completed level B, then went to level C. In the process of completing level C, the server crashed. Mongo said we've been having crash problems lately, so I'm wondering if what we experienced had more to do with the server acting up rather than the map.

Hi John,

Yesterday we were testing the map with 5 people on an online created server and we had pretty much the same problems as the others.

Mostly with the laptops and the doors in the underground bunker. The X showed up at odd places in the room and corridor.

Tonight, Jimmy Chaos and I tested the map again but only with the 2 of us and in the bunker we didn't go for the laptops and docs in random order (which mostly will happen if you play with more people) but waited until the message box disappeared before going to the next objective.

This time everything went ok with the laptops and the docs without any strange issues.

We cleared the bunker level by level without any problems.

If the AI gets killed too close to the laptops, there can be a problem with the "Press X...." message because alot of times you pick up a gun you don't want. I think that it would be better if the AI is sitting a bit further away from the laptop.

Some people like to use grenades when clearing buildings/rooms. Most of the time there won't be any problems, but sometimes the furniture gets blown into the wrong direction, blocking doorways. Funny thing is .. a second or even a third grenade doesn't move the damn thing. Really strong furniture :hmm: lol.

This is what I found so far, but we need to run the map one more time.

Other than that, I was really amazed by all the creativity and effort you put in this map.

The new buildings are awesome and so is the underground bunker with those special cell doors.

I like the way the bunker opens (and the sound of the opening floor)..., reminds me of those Raiders of the lost ark movies.

Yeah, you did a real cool job again :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Rico

Hi John, I was testing the map yesterday with Rico686, DERAT an Boebes and everything was ok until bunker section!! Was laggy bad. Well this kind of landscape are not designated for underground buildings. Do u set up some occludes around this building? This could help to the game engine to work a little better on this section!! Is a really nice map man!! Nice work!!

Bkame, I'll take a look at that respawn point, it's possible that the code there is wrong.

Rico & Lobo, I'm hoping the next version will fix most of the issues you mention, all the doors will have new triggers/switches to stop the confusing messages, the AI will be moved away from the laptops, all furniture is currently being converted to a custom prop then changed to a static prop.

This is built on the mission 03 landscape so it had a bunker, I made a new one and placed it in the same location, after that I used occluders to encompass the entire bunker.

Those doors do get stuck after the explosion, but you can still move around it and the hangars do have like 7-8 entrances.

When I was playing alone I had no lagg inside the bunker and with opening the doors, yeah a random X popped up and I was like o_O

Those rebels in front of the laptops, if the guns appear to be in your way, just back away a little bit and pick up the gun and then pick up the gun you had earlier, it just moves it away from the laptop, I wouldn't really consider that as an issue.

Basicly everything is fine, besides those random crashes.

Thanks Blame, I Have found the cause of you spawning in the building at the bunker before you open the doors this will be fixed.

I have moved the props near the doors at the hangars, this should allow them to move out of the way.

I have also found the problem of the triggers constantly displaying on screen, there are a couple that can do this and it will cause lag if it happens plus the mission won't play properly, I know what's causing this but it won't be a simple fix so the next version won't be ready as soon as I hoped.

Hi JOHN,

congratulations for this brand new and awesome map. I appreciate a lot the bunker and new towers!

I crashed once and this is the message:

Crash in application version: 30899.3048

data\lib\units\extensions\inventory.dsf(-1): cant find member: hold_weapon in type <UE_ScriptExtension>

SCRIPT STACK:

data\lib\script_network\member.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\member.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\gametype\membercustom.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\identity.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\networkmanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\networkmanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\setups\setup.dsf(0)

data\level\level.dsf(0)

Renderer: threaded

Physics : threaded

Operation Arrowhead v1.1 is now ready for testing.

Ok, finally got this thing done, I hope most of the issues reported so far have been fixed.

Changelog:

1. All furniture has been converted to static props so they won't be effected by explosions.

2. AI near the laptops have been moved further away.

3. All doors in the bunker have been redesigned with new triggers and switches, downside here is that you will see the generic "Press X to activate alarm" message when you get near them but at least they work, still trying to find a workaround for this.

4. Laptops in the bunker no longer have the "Press X...." message, all you need to do is walk up to the laptop to activate it.

5. Bunker hatch is now opened when you download the codes from the second laptop, the second press x to open it has been removed.

6: I forgot to put a door on one of the buildings enabling you to get out of the map, this has been fixed.

7: Spawn point at the bunker is now working as it should.

I think that's it, sorry for all the problems with this mission but this one is very complex. I ended up with over 4000 lines of code for the mission script so I made some separate mission.xml's to split the code up plus found a new way of making reusable script for things like the AI in the garages and the IEDs.

Note to all beta testers:

I've been modding this game since 2009, ever since then I've been spending 3 to 6 hours a day on my missions, I have decided to reduce the amount of time I spend modding so it will now take longer to get these missions finished. Please don't get me wrong here as I'm still as keen as ever but the hours I put into it is taking it's toll.

I still have lots of new features to share with you guys, I'm currently working on some wood shack type buildings (made 18 so far in max) so we can have some nice new woodland maps to use. :)

So please bear with me folks, I'm still modding but I won't be churning them out so fast in the future.

Many thanks for your support,

John

Download:

Operation Arrowhead v1.1