Ubuntu vs Windows

UbuntuvsWindows.jpg

Yup that's right, i am starting a comparison between the two OSs and as you can see, possibly biased.

Right were is a place to start?

okay what about how the OS initially Starts off.

Installation

Installation of Windows XP and Windows 7 was complex, especially if you are a first time user, well to me it was anyway, but on this, Ubuntu is no better if you are a downloaded installation user, and it is your first time, so confusing in fact i just gave up trying to find a decent virtual drive (when my favorite Phantom CD was staring me in the face :P)

Installation of windows XP was unforgiving for me when i first got it, there were scary buttons, and the delete partition button always makes me hesitate, even though i know what to do and i have backed up simply because of it's "scariness"

Ubuntu however, is much more forgiving, allowing you to use the mouse and select the partition size with a well visualized slider, it also allows you to choose to download available updates while the OS is installing. everything is well set out in the Ubuntu installation and it gives you reading material while you wait*

Compatibility

Ubuntu doesn't have much compatibility, not even Wine does justice a majority of he time, ITunes is one of the biggest Ubuntu Killers for me, and the family not because of music quality, but because we all have Ipods :P BUT Ubuntu does have it's own alternatives, Banshee Media player, works almost exactly like Itunes and it is able to connect with the Ipod to transfer music. AND you can use wine, if ubuntu has been installed over windows. but due to half of the PCs we own being infected With Kryptik.E Via the G-1 server. we couldn't even use Itunes in windows.

Windows, as you know has fantastic compatibility with games, programs and others including Viruses, which brings me on to my next subject

Security and Viruses

As you know, windows is a pain in the ass for Viruses and security issues, even with your anti-virus on and running, some sly little ###### still manages to get past the filter and embed itself into your file system, i think Kryptik.E proves how annoying windows can get for being susceptible to many Trojans, Backdoors and Hackers. along with Norton reporting over 140 attempted attacks on the back up G-1

Ubuntu, is fantastic in terms of security, and viruses, so much so that the devil Krypitk.E can be transferred into Ubuntu file systems, opened and by all means tampered with, and ubuntu shows no symptoms, that is because FAT/NTFS and EXT3/EXT4 are utterly different file systems, and because of the lack of Ubuntu usage, no one really bothers making viruses or Malware for it.

Speeds

I used my brain and counted how many seconds each OS takes to load on a Toshiba Satellite Pro A200 and an Emachine E520 both old and battered. this is a comparison on both with XP to make it fair.

Windows, Toshiba

Startup: 48 seconds[]Shut down: 35 seconds

Windows, Emachine

Startup: 62 seconds[]Shut down: 122 seconds

Ubuntu, Toshiba

Startup: 54 seconds[]Shut down: 12 seconds.

Ubuntu, Emachines

Startup: 47 seconds[]Shutdown: 4 seconds.

it is evident that Ubuntu certainly loads up quicker in one case and shuts down in a fraction of the time windows does.

along with that i also tired default internet browser loadup

IE8

startup: 22 seconds

Firefox

Startup: 5 seconds

Customization and style

Windows allows third party programs like Tune Up Utilities and Window Blinds that allow certain things to be changed. along with the default settings that can be changed without third party programs. custom settings work best in windows 7

Ubuntu allows allot to be changed without the need for third party programs, you can change all of ubuntu's looks (including icons) and mould it into your own custom OS. which is always an added bonus.

Usage Experience

The Picture shown above pretty much sums up what i go through on an average use, at windows, i am constantly effing and blinding at what it automatically does and it gets in the way of a good use, as ubuntu just gently drops a hint and tells me whether an new version of the system is out and what updates are available. so i can safely say, gaming aside, Ubuntu is my recommended choice, any day.

If you have anything to add or if you wish to comment feel free, but keep arguments and "bashing" to a minimal.

*doesnt apply when you are preparing the drive ready for install.

Image By Jacob Hulmston especially for this thread

Edited by zeealice
Thread moved to correct forum

Installing win7 complex?

Select where to install and nothing more. It's really fast too.

WinXP, well i wouldn't like to install it anymore. Slow and you must do lot of things after it.

Ubuntu, last time was almost 2 years ago. 0 problems too. It's fast and my only problem was my webcam not working.

Edited by Big

the only issues i really had, that i failed to mention in the OP is that Ubuntu can sometimes ###### up the wireless card in the machine, however if you use a dongle or connect directly to the router, there is no issue

Installing win7 complex?

yes, when your computer has battery problems or hoping to do a clean install on a hard drive with a corrupt copy of windows meaning transferred from old PC to new

Installing win7 complex?

Yes, compared to Ubuntu 10.10 or 11.04, it is complicated.

the only issues i really had, that i failed to mention in the OP is that Ubuntu can sometimes ###### up the wireless card in the machine, however if you use a dongle or connect directly to the router, there is no issue

Are you talking about a wifi card not being recognised or not working out-of-the-box? Or have you had a card destroyed?

There are, unfortunately, a few cards around that don't work out-of-the-box. Most of them can be gotten working fairly easily.

To have a card destroyed - that is very rare, I haven't heard of it happening in a while. If it happened to you, I'd love to know what card and how it happened. <_<

- Gache

Edited by Gache

i have had it happen on 2 PCs when i can't connect to the internet after Ubuntu is installed, i enter in the terminal command to show wheter it is enabled disabled and what have you and it is disabled with no compatible firmware installed, so i just left it and went with the dongle, not particularly fussed :P

i have had it happen on 2 PCs when i can't connect to the internet after Ubuntu is installed, i enter in the terminal command to show wheter it is enabled disabled and what have you and it is disabled with no compatible firmware installed, so i just left it and went with the dongle, not particularly fussed :P

Yeah, some cards require proprietary firmware. (Ralink, I'm looking at you :o= ) Usually there's a binary blob hidden in the backwaters of the manufacturer's website... with a license that won't let anyone redistribute it.

Beats me why they do that. They'd only benefit from allowing Ubuntu et al to put it in multiverse repos.

/shrugs

- Gache

it's really stupid how people are so overprotective over things these days makes me laugh, because quite frankly, i do it myself, i dont really like people taking inspiration from my work, even though people doing that should make me feel good, because they obviously like it, but lately nothing i have done has been inspirational, usually it is ignored or scrutinised :P

but this thread, thankfully, has only been questioned :P

Edited by zeealice

Installing win7 complex?

Although i normally would agree with this, for a normal user reloading onto a notebook that has an off the wall raid controller is a nightmare for them. They have to download the driver and put it on a flash drive, then load it when windows 7 says their is no hard disk. Also most of the time it has to be unzipped and if i remember right the correct driver has to be in the root of the flash drive.

Doesn' t happen that often but i have see it.

XP- don't install it unless your pc is too old.

or you want to play a game but your RAM only meets XP requirements. but quite frankly installing a stick of RAM isn't rocket science like installing XP

Edited by zeealice

Installing win7 complex?

Although i normally would agree with this, for a normal user reloading onto a notebook that has an off the wall raid controller is a nightmare for them. They have to download the driver and put it on a flash drive, then load it when windows 7 says their is no hard disk. Also most of the time it has to be unzipped and if i remember right the correct driver has to be in the root of the flash drive.

Doesn' t happen that often but i have see it.

I never installed it in a notebook, so that might be.

(sorry about any typos present, Alex's old gaming keyboard is a bit buggered.)

Part 2

Internet Connection Set Up

in Windows, internet connection set up is both friendly and easy to use, well, in windows 7 it is, however Ubuntu's just "get on with it" 'atitude' seems much more suited

Wireless.

In Windows you have to set up the wireless through a bunch of setup programs and on reinstall of windows XP (after, yes you guessed it; malware) on both of my laptops i was left for months with no internet connection, so i was sat wasting my time trying to solve the problem through windows, but, eventually i realised that i hadn't put the software on the PC, which was really stupid i shouldn't have to do it all the blooming time! <_<:P

in Ubuntu, wireless, as you can tell was the first issue i had when i installed, the fact that the wireless card refused to work after an install on both laptops but that wasn't as bad as the XP issue, because i had a dongle i could use. i simply inserted that into the USB port typed in my security code, and waddya know, i have internet, no software to install, you literally just get on with it. how long would that take? 30 seconds? compared to over 60 days :huh:

Admittedly not everyone has these problems but this is based around my experience on 2 laptops. One with low spec (Toshiba Satellite Pro A200) and one with battery problems (Emachines E520)

Wired

Wired internet doesn't need a secure code, because you obviously have the router in reach and you have full access to it.

Windows 7 ( not sure about XP) has this obsession with constantly asking you about what type of network you are on, i do think that you can see what type of place you are in. (at home, work, or in a public place) and windows 7 definately doesn't need to remind you when you plug in the ethernet cable.

Again, Ubuntu just tells you, you are connected via the ethernet, and leaves it there, you can mess about on the internet after that.

Disk Checking

Windows really falls flat for scaring people here, the disk checking is incredibly creepy when it turns up, not to mention fugly beyond belief

Disk-Error-Checking-in-Windows-XP.jpg

i mean look at it, the first time i saw this i shat myself, i thought the PC had something wrong with it. but no, it was just because my battery died while the PC was on standby, oh yes, fantastically important isnt it?

and for anyone wondering, windows 7?

how-to-run-chkdsk.jpg

Ubuntu Checked my drive this morning, god knows why, but was it nearly as threatening as windows?

forcefsck-checking.jpg

i think not.

it is really fast, done in about 2, 3 seconds on the Toshiba, and nothing was up, so i continued on with my day.

which one is more thorough no-one knows...

When You Can't Remember the Track you Were Just Listening To

If you are anything like Alex on her hayfever tablets she'll listen to her music, that she had only just downloaded (legally), then she'll close the documents folder and go out, and when she comes back she forgot what her favorite song was out of the bunch she had, in windows you have to go through the mundane process of double click, no, close,double click, no, close.

but on ubuntu you just hover your mouse over the music file to hear a preview, and you then make a deciding vote.

Edited by zeealice

Wired internet doesn't need a secure code, because you obviously have the router in reach and you have full access to it.

Windows 7 ( not sure about XP) has this obsession with constantly asking you about what type of network you are on, i do think that you can see what type of place you are in. (at home, work, or in a public place) and windows 7 definately doesn't need to remind you when you plug in the ethernet cable.

Again, Ubuntu just tells you, you are connected via the ethernet, and leaves it there, you can mess about on the internet after that.

Windows needs to ask what sort of network you're on so it can tell whether to trust incoming connections. It ought to use it to disable Simple File Sharing too, but I don't know if 7 does that. XP didn't.

(Simple File Sharing is a Microsoft 'feature' that basically means whenever you have 'Microsoft File and Printer Sharing' turned on, you're sharing with everyone on the network. Read and write access. Crazy. Ubuntu only shares with people it recognises - you have to specifically enable guest and/or write access for each share.)

Ubuntu Checked my drive this morning, god knows why, but was it nearly as threatening as windows?

[snip]

it is really fast, done in about 2, 3 seconds on the Toshiba, and nothing was up, so i continued on with my day.

which one is more thorough no-one knows...

The huge speed difference is because Ubuntu uses a journaling filesystem by default. The journal tracks files you've touched recently so it only has to check those. Windows still goes and checks the entire filesystem structure, a legacy of the days when Microsoft filesystems screwed themselves up at the drop of a hat...

- Gache

interesting stuff Gache, you really are a Linux guru aint you? :thumbsup:

but Ubuntu does seem the better OS no matter what viewpoint you look at it, even the lack of compatibility can be a good thing :P

Part 3

Ubuntu 11.04

after 6 hours of downloading the packages Ubuntu 11.04 finally installed and made changes, my first words: "holy ######!"

ScreenshotUbuntu1104.png

every thing is like :blink: uuuh, am i dreaming that this is free? sporting Alex's future soldier wallpaper with style, Ubuntu's new Unity GUI syncs in really well with the rest of the PC, but for 10.04 and 10,10 users, it may be a little shock and you might get slightly confused as to what is where and stuff.

only problems so far, as you can see, lack of date and time, and still the internet issue

EDIT: after about 5 mins of mucking about with it, before i shut down, the time and date IS still there, but very dark, you may have to change the theme to see it properly.

From being an Ubuntu 10.10 user, navigating around the new OS may take some getting used to, like the closing of programs and minimising them and whatnot, quite tricky at first but i'm sure i'll get the hang of it.

Data Loss

Going from Windows XP to windows 7 caused data loss that was seemingly inevitable, even in the "windows_old" file allot of my music and game saves were missing, a good try to preserve my old data by windows, but what if windows XP had a virus? is that not transferred over to windows 7 (same question with ubuntu but they hardly get viruses)

from ubuntu 10.04 on one of three PCs (a custom built multimedia PC) and 10.10 on the others, no data loss was seen in the upgrade. but like i said with windows, what would happen if i had a virus or malware in the old system? ALL of the files in my home folder and all others were intact on every PC i upgraded on, so much so that firefox even remembered the tabs i had open when i closed it like it usually should.

11.04 The Good

The interface, The new interface is fantastic and all of the ubuntu based programs sync with the top bar when they are maximized.

Lack of Data loss, like i said, always good to comeback to you files intact.

Neatness, Everything seems to just be all in one place, pretty funky.

The New Workspace Selector, Fantastic little thing, i don't use more than one unless i am on GIMP but it's fun just to mess about with.

The Bad

The things i have noticed on 11.04 that are seemingly bad, is that if you need a program opening you go to the side bar logo and the side bar comes partially out, to bring it fully out you need to minimize any open windows that fill the screen, only then can you select a program to run.

if you had a dark custom theme on 10.10 or lower it transfers over to the new OS causing problems like reading the time.

The Ugly

When you go to the top bar and nothing is running you get "file, places" and whatnot it just looks a tad out of place there.

Edited by zeealice

Hmm... for some reason I can't reply to this thread properly...

Edit: trying one chunk at a time.

EDIT: after about 5 mins of mucking about with it, before i shut down, the time and date IS still there, but very dark, you may have to change the theme to see it properly.

From the screenshot you posted, it looks like Ubuntu may have become confused about which theme you're running. I have no idea what causes this as I've only ever seen it on my own user account - it seems to happen after upgrading Ubuntu and keeping all your old files and settings. One of these days I'll dig up a bug/fix, but usually it goes away if you change the theme, eg to Radiance and back to Ambiance.

From being an Ubuntu 10.10 user, navigating around the new OS may take some getting used to, like the closing of programs and minimising them and whatnot, quite tricky at first but i'm sure i'll get the hang of it.

Great guide to the new Unity UI here: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/natty/.

[...]all of the ubuntu based programs sync with the top bar when they are maximized.

The menus are up there even when not maximised... just hover your mouse over the top panel.

The Bad

The things i have noticed on 11.04 that are seemingly bad, is that if you need a program opening you go to the side bar logo and the side bar comes partially out, to bring it fully out you need to minimize any open windows that fill the screen, only then can you select a program to run.

To open the Dash, click the Ubuntu button. To show the Launcher, touch the left side of the screen for a second. (By default it slides out of the way if a window tries to share the same space. Yes, you can tweak it.)

if you had a dark custom theme on 10.10 or lower it transfers over to the new OS causing problems like reading the time.

Yeah, themes need to be updated to work properly with the new Unity panel. Unfortunately two of the included themes, Dust and New Wave, haven't been. :(

The Ugly

When you go to the top bar and nothing is running you get "file, places" and whatnot it just looks a tad out of place there.

That's because the 'focused app' is the desktop, which is actually provided by the file manager. So it's showing you the entries you need to interact with any files you might put there.

What's the Internet issue you're having?

where the integrated wireless chipset will refuse to work after install, but, i have a dongle so i'm not particularly fussed on it.

Is this the laptop without firmware for the wireless card? Do you know what model it is?

@Gache: NTFS is a journaled filesystem if I recall correctly...

So it is, but AFAIK Chkdsk doesn't take advantage of that. Ext4 uses various other advanced features like extents, which probably also help.

- Gache

Edited by Gache

oh, no worries i've sorted my internet issue now, it seems i wasn't looking properly :P and it has recognized my wireless card.

10.10 definately didn't like the card though, they must have added new drivers into their packages or something daft like that.

Edited by zeealice

Image By Jacob Hulmston especially for this thread

Jacob Hulmston, what a guy :P

anyway you forgot which one is the most melodramatic!!!! :o :o :o

Ubuntu:

"the system is going down HALT NOW!"

(comand line screen before the PC actually shuts down. it something along those lines)

Windows

"windows is shutting down"

:P

Edited by Zeealex

• 4 weeks later...

THREAD JACKED! :D

ish

Part 4

System Diagnostic and Monitors

In windows XP you need to go to Start>Run> and type in Dxdiag to get up information on screen and press control alt delete to bring up the CPU load and RAM load.

in Ubuntu you just go to system>administration> system monitor. and task manager's load Graphs and information on the hardware are shown all in one widnow.

Although Gnome's system monitor doesnt confuse you with numbers when it comes to RAM (it just says 24.0GiB on mine as with windows it says something ridiculous like 24384MB) i prefer Dxdiag as it shows much more detailed information.

more on this tonight, i believe i have a wedding to go to :P