Cheaters vs. Non-cheaters

Thats probably the reason why, but, camping is what a sniper does, how do you run and shoot with a sniping gun? I do know that the notes popping up are informing everyone there is a "camper", which I thought was for all to be aware and watch out for sniper as part of the game. Are you saying that they want you to just keep running around and shooting and getting shot? Why is camping frowned upon? Because if interferes with everyone running around? Doesn't make any sense. Besides, everyone knows where I am most of the time and can plan their strategies around that.

I'd like to hear about this more from others too...

Tom

Tom,

Calling someone a camper is just a slur. I just ignore it and suggest that you do the same. Every player is free to choose whatever style of play suits him/her. I play in many different ways depending on the situation. I adopt the strategy that conditions call for. If the opposing team is pushing hard then I will try and "hold the line" (i.e. camp) and then push forward when I don't hear any activity. If the opposing team is defending then I will run and gun to take out their point men and then try and push them back into spawn. I like the defensive positions best because I don't have to run through the whole map to get back into the fight.

In reality most new players camp and snipe a lot because they don't yet have the experience/skill necessary to stay alive if they don't. That is why you will get the occasional camper accusation. They are saying that you are a "noob". Whenever you get accused of that just ignore them and have the inner satisfaction that you just owned them and that their strategy was not successful at that moment. I have been frustrated many times by a sniper who hits me from across the map, but I have to remind myself that it was my own fault for not taking the necessary precautions, so I change my strategy and vow "vengeance" upon the perpetrator, lol. I know many experienced players who snipe frequently. It is not something that only noobs do, so let it go. Engaging in any type of combative conversation only degenerates into name calling which will get you kicked from the server.

If someone kicks you from the server because you are beating the tar out of them, then take it as a compliment and intentionally die a time or two just to make them feel like they are doing well. We all know what it's like to constantly be on the receiving end!

Cheers,

Rahn

Rahn, I think you nailed it on the head...I am not offended by name calling, I was just bothered because I was kicked for some reason other than doing something wrong. I believe you was right on in your last paragraph. I was playing the best game ever this time and was beating the tar out of them. I believe the reasong I was kicked maybe because they thought I was using an illegal gun. At the time I was kicked, I killed two people with one shot (both of their heads were aligned), I said to myself "wow" , and for some reason they were swarming that area probably trying to find me and I could have killed more but, blap, I was kicked. That ticked me off because I was having the best round ever.

You are right in that new people have to use some other method of fighting because they cannot shoot as well, I do see people pretty good, I just cant shoot first! I've tried it and ususlly have 0 kills and high getting killed numbers. I think I am good at sniping, because most of the time I don't get killed, unless its Sidd or you.

Anyway, your words are very accurate, and thanks

Tom

Hello Tom,

As Rahman pointed out before, what you experienced is nothing but frustration on your enemies' part. Sadly, there are those that cannot derive any enjoyment from a real strategic challenge - those players will immediately call out 'cheater', 'camper' and so forth if they encounter someone who doesn't follow their own twitch-based run-and-gun gameplay, but rather approaches the situation with oversight and a sound tactical plan. They'll try to throw you off-balance by calling you names, and if all else fails they'll try to get you kicked from the server.

Regrettably, there's a lot of this attitude to be found on FPS servers out there nowadays. While the Ghost Recon series used to stand for slow and strategic gaming - the original first title from 2001 is called 'The Thinking Man's Shooter' by most pundits - and the GRAW games, while fundamentally a lot less tactical, managed to carry at least a fraction of this philosophy over, the influx of younger players to the newer games did its part to spoil the party quite a bit.

I have no idea if there are any good co-op servers (where human players play as a team against computer-controlled opponents) out there for the GRAW series (I only play the original Ghost Recon), but if there are, you may want to try playing those for a change, as they would hopefully offer a more tactical gaming approach. I have played many zero-respawns co-op games online that lasted several hours for a single mission. There are just no words to describe the suspense (and resulting fun) in those games, when every player has to watch every other player's back and you approach enemy positions like a real-life special forces unit would: Slow, patient, tactical.

In closing, do not let those kids spoil your fun, Tom. Stick to the gaming style that works for you, the one you like, and forget about those kids. They wouldn't last on a real battlefield for longer than a minute.

Cheers,

Apex

Apex, I am finding a lot of reasonable people on this forum and you are one of them. You explained what I have been feeling all along, what is the fun in running around, only caring about how many kills you can get. In my mind, I was wandering if a game could be made where you don't respawn, that the team that takes out all of the other team, is the winner. You really have to think ahead and be very careful. Not to take anything away from those, they do have "some" strategy (sp).

I don't know if you looked at my profile, but I am 75 and have enjoyed ghost recon for years, I have all copies of all their games and have, until recently, only played single player. I only started playing any games after I retired. I really enjoy taking my 3 men and keeping them alive and always plan accordingly. I have played all these games repeatedly. I also have all the call of duty games but dont enjoy those as well because you'er doing like the multiplayer in ghost recon, just running around trying to stay alive (maybe not as bad).

I've often wondereed how old most of these players are, their running around and shooting is a whole lot faster than me, even tho I still have some pretty good reflexes and can hit a golf ball 300 yards (just bragging, hitting down hill with a strong wind to my back).

Anyway, thanks for your input...

I got an email stating I am now friends to you? What does that mean?

Tom

Yes, Tom, I've seen your profile and I've read all of your posts. I don't want this to sound condescending in any way, but I have to say that I am impressed to see someone at 75 building his own gaming PC, playing Ghost Recon multiplayer online, and participating in the forums like this. Most people I know at that age hardly want to touch a PC, let alone know how to use one or do any of the things you do with apparent ease. Kudos! And from what I've read it wouldn't surprise me one bit if your golf swing producing a 300 yards drive wasn't bragging at all!

It's hard to say how old those disruptive GRAW players you encountered are - from the way they behave they may have the mental capacity of a 9-year old. :lol:

The friend message you received means that I've added you to my friends list here at the GhostRecon.net forums (you can view your friends list - and other settings - in your forum profile). Don't worry though, this doesn't mean we have to send each other birthday gifts from now on. I use it as a convenient way to remind myself to stay in touch with some people. ;)

Best thread ever (this year anyway).

Tom, I'm in my 40's and I basically gave up on playing GRAW2 team v team because even now I find my reflexes cannot survive against the snake like reflexes of the kids playing GRAW2 multiplayer. So HATS OFF to you for not only trying, but persevering by doing all this research. This has turned into a really great discussion for anyone new to GRAW2 multiplayer, touching on a lot of frequently asked questions.

One thing I think that has been missed was the question about tagging. In GRAW2 you can tag an enemy player by putting your gun sight on him and pressing a key (I forget which one). From that point on, the enemy player has a red diamond on him that ALL players in your team can see, thus you are helping the whole of your team by doing that.

The Co-op gametype can be difficult to understand unless you have tried it with some real co-op players, from what you have experienced so far, that's not real co-op. Co-op is slower paced and more rewarding for the, shall we say, cerebral player. Basically it is a mission with objectives, like rescue a kidnap victim, or assassinate a terrorist, or plant some explosives, just like the single player player games you have plaed so many times, except that instead of the computer giving you AI team mates, you actually have real people on your team, and you co-ordinate your plan of action via voice comms.

To echo what Apex said, I think it's great that you have found our forum and I'm pleased you have decided to stay and share your gaming experiences at 70+.

Guys I have enjoyed reading your replies and I must say that I have alot of respect for everyone who still likes to play online fps games at an age older than 60. I myself am 57 and I still play TDM but it isn't what it used to be. Even with the anti-cheat enabled people seem to find a way to get into the server with their hacks. And when they sence that they are about to get banned, they quickly leave the server and join again with another nick.

Does anyone have an idea how to find out when someone is wallhacking? Going on deathcam doesn't do the trick and it doesn't proof anything. I went on deathcam several times because I know that some players were wallhacking, but you don't see any real proof that they are doing that. I like to ban those players, but not without any "hard evidence".

And Rocky, 40 is still young:whistle: in GRAW2. As long as you really enjoy the game and keep playing (because you enjoy it) you'll see that your reflexes become an automatism during the game. Younger players may have faster reflexes, but the older players have experience and they analize the behavior of their opponents. Knowing your enemy can compensate the faster movements of your opponent. :o=

Woah! You are getting popular man! :devil::thumbsup: Just to reiterate on my earlier miniscule post (compared to the other replies, I feel small lol!) and to give a perspective which is slightly different from the ones you got, I'm not a huge fan of camping (and by camping I mean players who keep sitting/lying at a spot in the map througout the duration of a round), but this is just because that it can be very anoying when you move (that too carefully) all the way from your spawn (specially in one of the bigger maps) and die from a bullet from a player hiding in a bush! In maps like 'the cut' there are a zillion bushes and it can become highly tedious and time taking to check each and every of these bushes to fish out campers. Or in a map like 'nowhere', ten guys start camping with M99s and start a genocide against the team which spawns near the van. Although it's far from cheating or being a kickable offence, I personally don't consider camping (as many people do) to be tactical at all (This can somewhat work in a video game setting but in a real conflict a soldier won't hide in a spot througout and hope the enemy to materialize and get killed!)

What I usually do is -

• Go from point A to B
  • Get cover, look around, dispatch/eliminate any hostile player that I find
  • Go from point B to C
  • Get cover and so on

What campers do, is employ the element of surprise, so that they have an immediate and significant advantage over the other player which helps them in killing the said player! New players who generally are not familiar with the popular maps tend to die a lot and to counter this they seek refuge by camping (As staying in a familiar spot and staring at the screen in anticipation can look enticing especially if the other option is to mindlessly run and die)

Hope this helps! :P

###### that :wacko: sent you a PM

Aww now i'm curious lol!! :rofl:

EDIT:Fixed Typos

Edited by cybersidd

not sure how it works exactly, i can't find my GRAW 2 disk at present, but there should be a button you press before you start the online game that allows observer mode, tom was able to get it up, he's the best one to ask :thumbsup: sorry :P

Edited by Zeealex

If you know your players and you know your campers, you also know where they like to camp..., so it's easy to locate them and take them out :o= . Most campers have the stupid habit of going to the same spot over and over again, so it's very convinient for the experienced players to easily find the campers and cap them.

I sometimes "camp" too but mostly no longer than 2-3 kills and than I move again, otherwise they know where to look for you. But I never lie down, so maybe that's not considered as real camping.

I usually play in the RAS servers, Love GT3 as well but due to the servers being in europe i could have somewhat high pings! TAW (Best pings for me), FAL if they have enough players! In game my tag is [sWAR]-cybersidd and Ithink you must have seen my teamates play in your servers as they love the fact that you guys have grenades diabled :) I would like to see you play as well!

Yes, I have seen SWAR-members on the server. I've seen SWARnoodle and another SWAR-member. We raised up the ping limit to 300. Pings higher than 300 have to leave or get kicked (if they don't respond to our messages). So if your ping stays below 300 you're still welcome to play.

Today we banned a player with the nick =_= for unlimited ammo. How can people be that stupid??!!!:wall::angry: First of all, everyone can hear it and when you pick up the gun you can also see it :nono:

My goodness sakes alive, what have I opened up here?????? I'm enjoying this, and I will respond to some of the comments when I can, there are lots of them, LOOK OUT SIDD, my sniping is improving!!! Who know, I may even do the running around, NOT, anyway not for now.

Tom

not sure how it works exactly, i can't find my GRAW 2 disk at present, but there should be a button you press before you start the online game that allows observer mode, tom was able to get it up, he's the best one to ask :thumbsup: sorry :P

I'm not sure what your talking about. I have only used the "cam" and followed some of the top players just to learn. I did pick up conversation between two admins talking about a rock climber. One of the admins dropped a granade at his feet and committed suicide and transfered to the rock climbers team. I did the same and "cam: along with the admin and he found the guy and followed him. Sure enough, the guy did climb a mountain, the admin followed him up the mountain (me to using cam" ) got in the guys face. Don't know if he got the message or not.

I don't know if you are using the cam on someone who embeds into an object if you can tell it or not. I do suspect some that continually shoot me and I can't view any part of his body. Sidd shot me one time and I didn't see him and I know he does not cheat (he doesn't have to) but I bet at some point during that shot I probably could have picked up a speck of him somewhere, just didn't see him. So, because of this, I need to be sure before I come to any conclusions.

I'm not sure what your talking about. I have only used the "cam" and followed some of the top players just to learn. I did pick up conversation between two admins talking about a rock climber. One of the admins dropped a granade at his feet and committed suicide and transfered to the rock climbers team. I did the same and "cam: along with the admin and he found the guy and followed him. Sure enough, the guy did climb a mountain, the admin followed him up the mountain (me to using cam" ) got in the guys face. Don't know if he got the message or not.

I don't know if you are using the cam on someone who embeds into an object if you can tell it or not. I do suspect some that continually shoot me and I can't view any part of his body. Sidd shot me one time and I didn't see him and I know he does not cheat (he doesn't have to) but I bet at some point during that shot I probably could have picked up a speck of him somewhere, just didn't see him. So, because of this, I need to be sure before I come to any conclusions.

I know what you mean Tom, but when I go on dcam I can only see the guy's gun moving. I have seen a video on youtube where some people show you what you see exactly when using a wallhack. Enemies and friendlies have a specific colour and you can in fact see the whole map and all the players. My-oh-my what's the fun in that???!!!:wacko: I can imagine how some people got their high scores (not everyone but some of the suspicious people). They know exactly where to find their enemies, when to hide or come out. They mostly don't get killed very often. For me that's reason enough to "investigate". Someone said to me that I need to use a wallhack myself in order to find other wallhackers. Personally I don't like the idea of doing that and I don't even know how to get it or use it... so... maybe I'm just too stupid for that.

They make anti virus programs etc..., why not anti-hack programs for gameservers, but one that really works.

I have noticed in some games a certain individual (not you Sidd) that kill me a lot, no matter where I go. I can rush from one side of the battle field and the other and the same guy kills me. I question how he does that except that most of those runners do move around a lot. Also, there seems to be a lot of granades, I only have one and at certain times, there are constant explosions coming at us, how many players do we have on the enemy side? 10 to 15? Are all of them in that area throwing? I don't like granades but that is not realistic. I throw one and go get my self killed so I can throw another! lol

I have tried to keep track of someone throwing on the enemy side and keep track if he throws another without being killed first. This is hard to track.

Edited by tom1935