Los Mochis

Los Mochis v1 is now ready for testing.

I have come up with what I think is a solution to having to include a lone wolf version for all my missions.

If it all works as it should then this will be the first "adaptive" map for GRAW2, when there is one player on the map then the mission will be in lone wolf mode, in this mode there are a total of 180 AI but if more players join after the mission starts (this will work at any point in the map) then the mission will update itself at the next trigger and change to the multiplayer version which has 350 AI.

The same thing will happen if you start the mission with more than one player which gives you the multiplayer version from the start, if some of the players were to leave the mission after it starts and you end up with just one player on the map then it will revert to lone wolf mode when you activate the next trigger.

When the mission first starts you will see a switch on the wall, this will allow you to activate the multiplayer version (when the light is on) if you are playing alone giving you all the AI that's in the multiplayer version.

What you can do here is, if you find the mission to hard you can go back to the switch and turn it off so when you activate the next trigger it will be back into lone wolf mode.

Likewise if you start in lone wolf mode and find it to easy just go back to the switch and turn it on and when you activate the next trigger it will then be in multiplayer mode.

Please note:

The switch will only work if you are playing the mission alone, if there is more than one player then the mission will be set to multiplayer mode automatically.

The scripting for this was very complex and has taken quite sometime to debug so I hope it works.

I would like to thank the TAW clan, =WBG=Ron and his World Brotherhood of Gamers, ebk52 and his team for all their help testing the alpha versions.

Thanks,

John

Download:

Los Mochis v1.

mochis_screen.jpg

BTW,

This map/mission is really something special! I had a lot of fun doing the alpha testing. Great job so far John! This mission really raised the bar as far as its versatility is concerned. Good luck finding the snipers too! :devil:

Rahn

This is truly a phenom! Well done.

Not only a versatile map, but a great map for team or lone wolf.

The mix of snipers and ground AI is well balanced as well as the timing of spawn is very comfortable but aggressive.

Well Done - GOLD STAR

Hello John.

Los Mochis first look.

I had pleasure to play with triplex. I was played only once and this is only fresh first look for this map, so let's start :)

1 spawn point: i think one way through narrow church doors will be difficult for 12 players, some of them will be kill each other when they will hear a tank :lol:.

Remaining part map:

At the beginning we split and I took left side map. I wasn't running in whole match so my observations may not be precise. Some AI wasn't agressive at all, i've shoot them one by one and they didn't move, but i think it will be change with more players running a round ;), sleepy snipers (i havn't tryed standing position so i think count and theirs postions are good).

Helis, helis, helis well I know some players, who will be ejoyed this kind of objects :) (mule with m99 in the middle of the map could be helpful ;)

Two tanks and I always have been late before thiplex to c4 them (lol) so i have nothing to say about it:)

EMP checkpoint- only fiew AI was looking at the building after explosion.

Lighting map is very good i can see everything everywhere.

Finally map is ending in normal way with fiew AI behind fence which is very good for me and in my opinion.

In whole my part of map i've seen only one sliding guy after hit and no lags so far.

Summarise, map is made perfect, mission, snipers, soldiers and tanks are added resonable. I could questioning only helis, but i always do, i hate this things :)) I have to play fiew times more alone and with team to write more, but now I can see this map is one of this good one ;)

You have done a lot of hard and good work)

I totally agree with daro48. Great map, great mission, no lag whatsoever, perfect AI positions although I've noticed a few bots getting stuck behind barrels.

It's a very open map so rushing is not recommended, because it's very easy to get sniped across the map. :snipe:

I've lost count how many havocs you've got in this map. 5? 6? So there must be at least one player with M99 at all times.

Also, the tanks are patrolling very nicely and I can plant C4 on them without a problem.

In my opinion this mission is ready for a public release. Excellent job once again John :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback folks.

daro48, the problem of unresponsive AI was mentioned before in alpha testing, this normally happens when players split up triggering more AI than the game can cope with resulting in them being a bit dumb, this is not helped by the way I laid out the location triggers on the map as some of them are quite close to each other.

The mission on this map is a new concept so there will be a few problems with the AI, I made this map/mission as more of a test to see how this new idea would work and it seems to be working as it should so I will be able to improve on this with my next map which is progressing well.

triplex, pleased you like the map/mission, maybe it would help you all if I placed a resupply mule somewhere in the centre of the map, if this would help you with the Helli's you need to keep in mind that it will crash the game if you are packing the RPG (plus one other weapon but I can't remember the name!), what do you think?

I don't include the mule to often in my missions due to the possible game crashes but if you want to see it in more of my missions then let me know.

Cheers,

John

triplex, pleased you like the map/mission, maybe it would help you all if I placed a resupply mule somewhere in the centre of the map, if this would help you with the Helli's you need to keep in mind that it will crash the game if you are packing the RPG (plus one other weapon but I can't remember the name!), what do you think?

I don't include the mule to often in my missions due to the possible game crashes but if you want to see it in more of my missions then let me know.

The map is quite small so I'm not sure if a mule is necessary here, but in case you decide to add it to the map then here's a tip:

in mission.xml file replace

<xi:include href = "/data/levels/common/coop_ranks_ogr_quarry.xml"/>
with
<xi:include href="/data/levels/common/coop_ranks.xml"/>

This will remove the RPG from the Demolition class.

Hi John.

I don't know much about xml scripting in this game but I have to ask, do you can edit mule object to remove form list possibility pick up the RPG? You include mule in last mission and this is very good solution, yes sometimes game is crashing but if we tell players to don't pick up the RPG it work fine. All the time we are playing to minimalize number of deaths so m99 somewhere and possibility picking yours new favorite weapon is tempting :) We can fight with tanks without RPG :charge: but if helli is come we are usually defencless :'( .

This is only my opinion let's other players say something about that.

Greetings,

Daro.

Thanks for the code triplex, I don't know that much about changing the weapon kits so will that effect Rahn's or Brettzies weapon mods.

I don't think it's possible to remove the rpg from the mule, this has been looked at before without success.

Thanks for the code triplex, I don't know that much about changing the weapon kits so will that effect Rahn's or Brettzies weapon mods.

I don't think it's possible to remove the rpg from the mule, this has been looked at before without success.

I found this solution in Mexbob's Timber. The mule can cause problems only for Brettzie's and Rahn's mods, because they have custom weapons and of course they would still have this RPG regardless if you change that line or not. But as daro48 already said, the mule could be very handy sometimes.

John,

Changing from the quarry ranks to the regular coop ranks really only leaves out 1 kit - Demolitions 13, which has an rpg. Other than that both sets of templates are exactly the same. So if you don't want players to have an rpg, set your pointer to coop_ranks instead. I believe this was done with the "retrieve" mission so that players would have to set c4 on the tanks.

As far as our mods are concerned, both Brettzie and I have modded these files in order to have more weapons kits available for the players. Both files contain exactly the same information so there is no difference between them. So the bottom line is that changing to the coop_ranks.xml will have absolutely no effect on our mods.

Cheers,

Rahn

Los Mochis 2nd encounter.

I decided to play alone and see how it works, so first few triggers starts to single player and without lags. Ive c4ed tank without any problem. This time I wasnt much careful so I got some hits from snipers which start to wake up from hibernation. Reactions of AI was this same they start running and shooting at me (Ive died 9 times :lol: ). After few triggers Anthony joined me on the battlefield and since this moment all triggers starting as multiplayer :D- many, many helicopters :blink: . But then happened something strange- 2nd tank was missing :huh: ! I dont know if this was planned for single player triggers or not? Remaining part game was like last time- everything ok for me )).

Hi daro,

Thanks for the feedback.

If you activated trigger 10 while you were playing alone then you won't have seen the second tank after Anthony joined you as the second tank is not part of the lone wolf mission, the game will update itself to multiplayer mode on the next "live" trigger if another player joins the game.

Looks like this mission is about done, I will give it until later next week then make a start getting it released if there are no more issues to report.

Many thanks,

John

Hello John,

I’ve just finished lone wolf mission and I have nothing more to tell. Number of helicopters wasn’t high and I didn’t notice any lags :thumbsup: .

In my humble opinion map/mission is ready for public release. What do you think triplex, ebk, jfk?

Regards, Daro.

After playing Lonewolf and with Daro, as noted, I played with Bikerbob on his dedi server and everything played well. No lag even when helis appeared, some lazy AI but not enough to make it easy and generally all was good. Bob reported seeing an AI pass through a wall of the church but that could have been strong ale.

Seems ready to go. Looks like another successful effort on a good new map.

Congrats

Anthony :rocky:

John,

it's a fantastic mission. :yes:

Great balancing and everything worked fine except:

We had Intel left and concentrate us for supplies (50m to go) when:

My client crashed while i was walking:

Sun Jun 06 18:28:33 2010

Crash in application version: 30899.3048

Unhandled exception - access violation

C STACK:

graw2 (???) : ???

??? (???) : ???

Renderer: threaded

Physics : threaded

15 seconds later I restarted GRAW2 and just when it was up, Erikas client crashed:

cant find member: hold_weapon in type

Then I clicked on the server map to re-connect and Erika restarted Graw2.

My mission screen came up saying objective completed and stopped.

At the same time Erika tried to connect but no server map available.

Then my client crashed with:

Sun Jun 06 18:31:52 2010

Crash in application version: 30899.3048

Unhandled exception - access violation

C STACK:

Renderer: threaded

Looking at our server:

Map was restarted and loading the map again. After 5 seconds it was available again.

My server did never a restart of a map from it alone and there was no error message on the screen!? :unsure:

It looked like the game was over but Intel and supplies was left!

:hmm:

Now it's to late for a second try. :(

Hope we can try it again beginning of this week but latest on Friday. Sorry.

THANKS for having much fun again.

When I get the time I will upload some captured videos to Youtube. Need to find out how to cut Fraps videos first.

Cheers and have a great week to all

Klaus&Erika,

In my humble opinion map/mission is ready for public release. What do you think triplex, ebk, jfk?

I had a few crashes because of the Z bug, but that's not unusual. Like I said before, I think the mission is ready to go. :thumbsup:

I’ve played alone and with few players I had no crashes even when I died 9 times (then I stopped writing text messages on chat you know Z- bug etc.). I had picked up many other weapons and I haven’t 2 weapons in one.

I and ebk just found one bug in this mission. At the extraction there is a pickup truck coming. I think at least one player has to get inside to end the mission. But if you destroy this pickup with GL or a nade, then the mission won't end.

Just 3 quick questions.

1. What is a Z bug?

2. We realized when we placed C4 onto sand backs or gate we do not need to hold the X button until the process bar has been filled completely.

Just pushing the X button one time was enough.

Just on vehicles we need to push and hold the X button.

Is that ok? We have never seen that before but it's a good idea.

3. Can it be that it is harder to destroy a havoc using a sniper in your mission?

I had to shoot them a couple times but may it was just my failure because I had no drink at this time :-)

Thanks,

Klaus

Just 3 quick questions.

1. What is a Z bug?

2. We realized when we placed C4 onto sand backs or gate we do not need to hold the X button until the process bar has been filled completely.

Just pushing the X button one time was enough.

Just on vehicles we need to push and hold the X button.

Is that ok? We have never seen that before but it's a good idea.

3. Can it be that it is harder to destroy a havoc using a sniper in your mission?

I had to shoot them a couple times but may it was just my failure because I had no drink at this time :-)

Thanks,

Klaus

1: The "Z-BUG" is the bug in GRAW 2 that the game will crash if u use the "rate of fire" button - in these case its set by game to button "Z".

It was never fixed instead its a known bug in the game.

2: If u move te progressbar hides again. its better if u hold the button, so it fills completely.

We had the same too.

3: If u shoot the Havoc - aim at the pilot seat. One hit and it will be gone ;)

regards

porter

Hi,

1: The "Z-BUG" is the bug in GRAW 2 that the game will crash if u use the "rate of fire" button - in these case its set by game to button "Z".

Yes after few deaths chat is going to crazy, all game buttons are active when you’re type "r" ghost will reload riffle when you type "z" you’ll see unhandled exception error, this will never happen when you will never die.

But if you destroy this pickup with GL or a nade, then the mission won't end.

Why did you destroyed our ride to home? :lol: But seriously, yes it can make mission very difficult to finished :/.

Thanks for all the feedback folks, much appreciated.

The dreaded "Z" bug has been in the game from the start and can be a real pain, to get around this what I have done is remap the "Z" key to activate the night vision, this has the effect of disabling the "rate of fire" feature completely as it's no longer mapped to any key.

If you are having this problem then try doing what I did, it's no longer a problem for me!

I will take a look at the extraction and include some script that will end the game if you enter the pickup or destroy it, I did find this in testing but I left it as it was, I didn't think anyone would destroy their own vehicle! :rolleyes:

Why did you destroyed our ride to home? :lol: But seriously, yes it can make mission very difficult to finished :/.

I don't know why ebk used a noobtube to destroy his ride home. You know I never use it :whistle: