P2: Notes - Tips -warnings, suggests and complaints

migryder

This topic is under construction - I'm staring it now because coop and some SP Campaign mode testing are underway and the need has presented itself...

P2

NOTES-TIPS-WARNINGS

THIS MOD REQUIRES VERSION 1.40, DS, IT, AND FROSTBITE 1.3

list of mods in order:

DESERT SIEGE

ISLAND THUNDER

FROStBITE v1.3

P2

Optional: When you first activate the mod the soldier selection screen will not be updated to the P2 background map...so have a look at the first main menu splash and then either quit the mod and reload it or just go ahead and load the test mission FORTDAUPHIN in Quick Mission then quit that and voila the soldier screen will be updated...this will ensure that the proper background map is viewable...Phlookian has done a nice job with this visual...I recommend doing this prior to campaign mode play..

NOTE - map info - Two maps are larger than the Command Map can cover - P202/P203 missions are on day n dusk versions of Black Wolf Bridge...for P202 you will insert in the NE corner of the map off of the CM...you should be able to move all teams to the edge of the CM viewable area on that side of the river or immediatley cross the river and move up to the SE edge of the command map from over there. There is a wonderful PDF doc put together by Phlookian that explains this map in great detail, but it is recommended that you experience the map first hand then read the doc for later exploratrions/game play. This doc will be made available in way that does not just hand out a huge spoiler situation.

The mission P205 is on Blue Ivan for P2 which is also larger than the CM - in this one you must go up to a high platuea to complete one objective that is off the CM. This should not be too great a problem as I reduced the number of enemies due to this need for a manual approach...to date, SP testing has not experienced any great problems with this...there is a box canyon in the SW corner of the map that is also off of the Command Map - you must also enter this area to complete a part of one objective..

P210 is on WSV - on several occasions I have experienced an anomoly where the dynamic river texture fails to show - each time I have quit the game and returned to find it showing up fine..you will know of this before the SP cinematic ends..you'll see a raft cruising on thin air...unable to report how this will affect dedi play and well you won't know until being in contact..

Weapons -

The engine will not recognize the following rocket launchers and rounds as AT Rockets for any available rockets to player platoon checks

The HEDP rounds for the SMAW do not kill Main Battle Tanks(MTBs) - according to FAS though a 43mm gl round will penetrate 2 inches of armor if fired directly at it, yet they also have this for a SMAW rocket- High Explosive Dual Purpose round "To destroy bunkers and other fortifications during assault operations as well as other designated targets with the dual mode rocket..."

RPG 7 TBG - Soft targets only, no MTBs

Shmel Thermobaric - this weapon will kill MTBs, but do not count on it to count against rocket checks..it will not be recognized as AT by the game engine...

Anti-material rifles - these will not kill tanks..but any soft target is fair game...there are three greater than 50 cal - 2 NTWs(14.5 mm and 20 mm) and a Barret XM109 25mm. All of the 50s will also destroy trucks and wheeled APCs other than the BDRM Command Car. The BMPs are treated as heavy armor in game, the TOR, Tunguska, all MTBs, and the RSE SAM are heavy armor requiring an AT round...pay attention to the briefings and know how much AT or the above mentioned weapons you might need..Of course GLs, frags, claymores, etc can defeat light armor as well in game and shooting out the tires of any wheeled vehicle other than the BDRM Command Car will disable it and you will get that one counted toward an objective if appropriate. I try to have a message reflecting this - if one is missing let me know via PM here...

BTW - the big boy guns are not useless..they have use beyond killing trucks and wheeled apcs as stated above..hint:

they have damage through walls..the 25mm being the greatest...and maybe just a tiny bit of splash effect...the kits have low mag counts though...totals from around 21 rounds for the 14.5mm to 15 for the 25mm..the 50s do have around the same number of rounds as their caliber though...

Terms/Acronyms:

Lock Out Code - also see SADM below, a code used in disarm and secure the explosives objectives in this mod..

MANPADS - Man Portable Air Defense System - shoulder fired air defense weapon.....there is an SA-18 Grouse in this mod...

SADM - Special Atomic Demolition Munition aka "Suitcase or Back Pack Nuke"...small yield portable device...much debated.. old stories of as many as 100 Russian SADMs that were missing at some point..actually these were designated as RA-155 and controlled by Spetsnaz units who can use lock out codes to lock the device from being armed/disarmed...SADM is a US designation...

SPAA - Self Propelled Anti Aircraft System - the SHILKA is an SPAA.

TEL - Transporter Erector Launcher these require some kind of support radar or targeting system to operate, a network dependent vehicle...the RSE SAM is a TEL as is the SS-25 Sickle and the 9K58 SMERCH.

TELAR - A Transporter Erector Launcher with autonomous action capabilities due to on board radar and targeting capabilities.....TEL And Radar. The 2s6 Tunguska and TOR M-1 systems are TELARs. The SHILKA has a targeting system but no rockets, it is a quad gun.

more info to come -

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vehicles in this mod and their authors:

Blakarion, winter textures by callmehobbes - BDRM Command Car, HIND M17 HIP(winter text by mig), HIND M24 ATTACK(winter text by mig), T72b, T72bm, T80ud, ZSU 23 4 SHILKA(SPAA), ZIL TROOP TRANSPORT

cobaka, winter textures by callmehobbes - BDRM2, BTR90, BMP2d , *SS-25 TOPOL (Sickle), *MAZ543 LAUNCH SUPPORT VEHICLE(LASV), HOKUM/BLACK SHARK(KA50)

Frostbite Team - BMP, WINTERHAWK, COMMERCIAL TRUCKS, REDLINE SNOWMOBILES, T72

Hammer - *SMERCH 9K58 MULTIPLE LAUNCH ROCKET SYSTEM(MLRS)

Phlookian - *GAZ VODNIK 3937, *TOR M-1 TELAR, *HIP( dynamic map object), *BLACKHAWK( dynamic map object)

RSE - CRRC

EDIT - Hammer did not do the Shmel it was Tinker! ( winter texture by Hammer) - SHMEL-1 UAV (YAK 061) sorrry about the confusion on my part earlier Tinker!

* - Denotes new content

• 2 months later...

Some things of note from NH dedicated server testing.

This one has been stated earlier in the thread.

-P202, P203 and P205: The command map doesn't show all of the map.

A GR limitation allowing the command map to be no larger then 400 x 400

-p213(FB blue_ghost map) Footsteps in the snow sound like going through water.

An issue with the map and the P2 mod.

-p224(FB Keep map) In mp players may get booted,

receiving a message that they can't connect because of wrong map version.

OSO suggests deleting the keep.sht file

in Red Storm Entertainment\Ghost Recon\Mods\Frostbite\map\keep

The file will rewrite itself.

This does not resolve the issue in all cases.

Long before P2 we(NHs') had this issue but I can't remember how we resolved it.

Any input much appreciated.

-OpFor vehicles do not show on the command map.

Many of the map and dynamic objects are tagged as vehicles.

So rather then have the command map look like a Christmas tree at times,

this action was taken.

NHs did not find this a great problem as most OpFor vehicles can be heard before they are seen.

OpFor soldiers register normally on the command map

-Objectives are generally not shown with a icon on the command map.

The command map doesn't show all of the map.

A GR limitation allowing the command map to be no larger then 400 x 400

There are plenty of maps already with this issue. Nothing can be done about it, sure we all except that and have no issue with it. I had started a test on solving that issue a while back, as stated in another topic somewhere, by another person. New mod, non compatible with any other mod, or the original game. All assessts scaled down by 50%. But it didn`t get too far. Only solution though...

What do you mean by This does not resolve the issue in all cases

Sometimes you can join, other times you cannot, random scenario type. Or some can now join after deleting the sht file, but others do not?

-OpFor vehicles do not show on the command map.

Many of the map and dynamic objects are tagged as vehicles.

So rather then have the command map look like a Christmas tree at times,

this action was taken.

NHs did not find this a great problem as most OpFor vehicles can be heard before they are seen.

OpFor soldiers register normally on the command map

Again, quite a few mods have this, 9MS as well. IMO is better to not have them showing anyhow, but still better to not have to see the objects too, good call.

-Objectives are generally not shown with a icon on the command map.

I tend to add them to mine because they are quick missions, no in depth briefings, just off you go sunshine, point that way...

Reading your breifings and knowing your objectives is always a good thing. Such map icons are definatley not required.

:D

wombat50 wrote:

Tinker wrote:

What do you mean by This does not resolve the issue in all cases

Sometimes you can join, other times you cannot, random scenario type. Or some can now join after deleting the sht file, but others do not?

I read OSO's comments in a search on this issue.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...28&hl=wrong map version&st=40

(see page 5)

The poster who initiated OSO's reply said it did not work for him.

We have one team member that has this problem with P224(the Keep map)

and as of now I have not asked him to try this. Will do. 0:)

Otherwise the rest of us have not had this problem using the P2 mod.

Thanks for the reply Tink.

• 2 weeks later...

P2 is compressed with 7z...it is highly recommended that you use this software to unzip your download...at least two testers ended up with corrupt files when using other software..

hmmm, now why would I be concerned about that at this time?

mig :ph34r:

when playing p203 online...having met the criterea for disarming bombs - the first two disarm animations will probably work just fine, but after that it does not usually play through..after the first two when you approach the other bombs the disarm sequence does go through to completion and the objective can be completed as well..the destruction ani just does not "play", but you will hear the audio sequence just fine... those of us who tested this decided it was not a deal breaker after I could not figure out what the deal was..I just remembered this today after posting some info about that mission in the v1.00 thread..

OK I found two mistakes on my part..

the first is very minor..I changed the SMAW HEDP kits out from demo class the day before I uploaded...I moved a FAMAS sd/SMAW HEDP kit into support class..but the secondary icon is for the Javelin...here is a link to the whopping 8 kb rsb that does show the SMAW if ya want it...it goes into Shell\Art\kits...

http://files.filefront.com/famas+sd+smawrs...;/fileinfo.html

the second is a greater mistake but does not affect the game play at all either..it is a gross oversight on my part regarding some audio/visual content that was not credited in the credits doc or in the outro vid...I hate that it happened yet I hate to spoil the surprise by listing it here so I'll do an addendum to the doc and make it available...let me give a cryptic thanks though to the TV Series and the composer of the audio in question...the face of the main character of that series will forever be associated with it...unfortunately he passed away...

you can find this now on p219 if you are playing SP quick mission or coop mode..that may be a bit down the line though if you are playing in SP Campaign mode...

we aim to please...

I'll be doing that addendum doc and also giving some credits for images used that also got left out..just tooo anxious to finally get er out here...I think you'll enjoy a few of the images as they appear..at least one on p207 is not hard to look at for sure...and from my all time fav western flick...

To those who want to play campaign mode...the Elite level of difficullty will average around 70 chrs on the maps...so playing on Easy is no joke..those numbers are around the same as RSE Elite..maybe a little higher on average..

Being Frostbite based, if you decide you want to see how Cold Call Out would work with the mod...I know if P2 has priority there is a texture conflict with the Ghosts demo class helment for sure...it seemed to work best with CCO given highest priority, but this is basically untested...proceed at your own risk...

OK Rocky's P2 Blog post reminded me I need to warn you guys that the pilot in the barn of p201 may not follow well..bump him a couple of times just to make sure..if you must stop with him in tow inside/near the barn you may want to go bump him again as he sometimes halts there again...usaully I have been able to get him going again..just make sure all enemies are cleared out from around there. While testing tonight I got him killed before I was even able to rescue him and got my terse message about needing to get a better team in there....mission failed.. :rant:

I had in mind at one time to make this a very early tip/warning and it got away from me somehow...

when approaching items related to searches like intel the usual proximity trigger is player within 1.2 meters of X, say something like a CD..so get as close as you can to ensure a good trigger response..sometimes it took a greater radius to trigger stuff but that distance works fine for most of the stuff in the mod...the items themselves are usually the point of reference for a prox trigger too...sometimes effects are used and some required zones..but those usually get a prox more like two or greater meters...capture triggers often fall into that category but those are often tight with respect to your saftey..as pointed out by wombat, most captives are armed up until they feel like its hopeless..then they'll surrender if you are in the zone or they see you...be sure to use hold if you are taking down a room with suspected perps in it..your guys may go uber :cowboy: and kill a VIP with regards to an objective before that person can disarm himself and go to captive behavior...

More stuff:

It is important to at least scan an entire briefing...the engine makes a pretty good space between paragraphs of those ingame briefings so be sure to scroll all the way through a briefing...I have placed GAMEPLAY NOTES at the tops of some but I know for sure there is a very important NOTE at the bottom of the p211 briefing..

COOP teams you are warned...I've witnessed mission failures due to not reading the briefings carfefully before Xing up...your time in mission is valuable.

above reminds me..these are not short missions even for experienced COOP teams..consider your time limits carefully.

THE DEMO KIT YOU ARE REQUIRED TO LOCATE TO DISARM THE CHARGES ON THE BRIDGE SUPPORTS OF P203 IS NOT A "KIT" THAT WOULD BE ASSIGNED TO AN ACTOR BUT RATHER SOME SUPPLIES YOU MUST FIND..THERE IS A PAIR OF SNIPS/WIRE CUTTERS AND SUCH SOMEWHERE ON THE MAP...

guys, feel free to post any comments you have about gameplay issues here..its what I had in mind for this thread...if we get feeback and input as what to watch for that might help with the flow of gameplay it should be noted here..I'm not calling for SPOILERS just notes about things w/o giving too much away...I probably should have included SUGGESTIONS and COMPLAINTS in the title of the thread too...

I have a problem with the p 203 mission. I´ve played the mission several times now, but never see the commanders heli. Is the helo realy in the middle of the map( frozen part of the river). or is it on a part of the map which is invisible on the command map?

But I have to say it`s a realy realy great mod. Thank you for this fantastic work!

I have a problem with the p 203 mission. I´ve played the mission several times now, but never see the commanders heli. Is the helo realy in the middle of the map( frozen part of the river). or is it on a part of the map which is invisible on the command map?

I found it quite near the starting point, I think head due East hugging the edge of the map, (ie away from the river), you should find an area down to your left that you cannot get down onto, the heli was off it the distance in that area.

Thanks Brazzo

The Heli may not be in the same place every time (darn things keep flying around)

But Wombat is right, there are three possible locations & none are accessible to the player (better load up with rockets or GL's if you're hunting for Heli's) ;)

I don't want to post any more revealing spoilers but if you're really stuck, PM me & I'll point you in the direction

OK NH8R(GreyHaired) had a look on a dedi in the p202 lower shack for a shadow of the laptop and found one...he shot several times but did not get a destruction crash...I will remove this item from the script as it is not used in this mission...

I'm not sure how we all missed this item in our testing, unless I only considered the addition after our most recent round of dedi testing that mission and got too sleepy headed to remember to remove it when I decided against adding it to the objevtives...this is the most likely answer IMM..I was always keeping things in flux..

sooo for now Patch 1.2 should include the following log changes -

include the p201 update now listed as patch 1.1...

remove laptop from p202 script...

edit text for demo task in p203 to clarify the demo supplies sub-routine that is part of Objective 2...

include the updated FAMAS/JAVELIN kit icon...

include updated modscont...

EDIT

adjust the spotting distance for p205....

possibly add a kit or two that gives the FLASH with non silenced weapons...

P205 is giving me trouble, only because I am not familiar with some of the terms used. I have started putting together a collection of screenshots of all the vehicles and labeling them for this mission, but the trouble I have now is the static vehciles that are out in the open, with 2 moving radar dishes on the roof - what are they, and how to destroy them.

radarvehicle.jpg

Secondly what is the TOR?

The vehicle you've shown is the Tor (or Tor-M1), Russian made short/ medium range AA missile launcher

It carries no weapons except for the AA missiles so represents no threat to your platoon

I made two versions of this: static (dish deployed and rotating) and mobile (dish stowed for transportation)

It is a tank and your AT weaponry should take it out no problem.