Foden 6 x 6

Tinker

foden-real.jpg

With all the vehicles Hammer is making lately :D I decided to put time into my favorite vehicle ready for any breakdowns!

Here`s a start anyhow:

foden-00.jpg

Think it will be high on poly`s, and will take a while, but should be ok.

Tinker

:)

• 2 months later...

Is this the beast you operated while in the service Tink?

Watched a segment on TV about a reporter doing a story on tank retrieval with the US Army. He went out with them on a training exercise and made the mistake of standing straddle of the winch cable while it was lying on the ground slack. The sergeant in charge made him do push ups in the shallow water of a nearby river.

The sergeant said it was OK to stand on it, if it suddenly went taut, it would merely throw you up in the air where as being a straddle of it would... :o

Yeah...and if it suddently went taut and snapped he would of been in 2 pieces! Unless you have seen it with your own eyes it's hard to imagine the force a snapped winchwire whips back with.

@Tinker: Looks like it's missing a key component in making it believable, shading. I'd strongly recommend rendering out an Ambient Occlusion map to overlay your texture with! Just that simple little thing will make it 10 times more believable.

Ha Ha Yeah, Wombat, I can`t tell you how important that rule is. Step on Step off! I saw a 34mm steel rope snap, with over 30T on the load once. It went faster than the eye could see, like a rubber band.

@ SF, not too sure about the Ambient Occlusion map, will look into it thnx. :unsure:

Starting again with the texturing, few tips from Hammer. Looks a little better now, will finish this 1 off hopefully.

foden_03.jpg

Yeah...and if it suddently went taut and snapped he would of been in 2 pieces! Unless you have seen it with your own eyes it's hard to imagine the force a snapped winchwire whips back with.

@Tinker: Looks like it's missing a key component in making it believable, shading. I'd strongly recommend rendering out an Ambient Occlusion map to overlay your texture with! Just that simple little thing will make it 10 times more believable

Can this prosses be used for models intented for GR ? if so how does it work with rsb files ?

It works perfectly with GR Hammer, as it's just a new layer you put into your texturefile before you save it as an .rsb ;)

What you pretty much do is take your whole model and apply a white texure to it, then add in a skylight into the scene. Now if you ever has rendered a model with those settings you know you will get slight shading in areas where less light would "bounce", ie tight corners and inside things will end up darker. Using "render to texture" with that kinda material and lightsetup will result in a greyscale texture that you simply lay ontop of your regular texture and set the new layer as multiply.

It works perfectly with GR Hammer, as it's just a new layer you put into your texturefile before you save it as an .rsb ;)

What you pretty much do is take your whole model and apply a white texure to it, then add in a skylight into the scene. Now if you ever has rendered a model with those settings you know you will get slight shading in areas where less light would "bounce", ie tight corners and inside things will end up darker. Using "render to texture" with that kinda material and lightsetup will result in a greyscale texture that you simply lay ontop of your regular texture and set the new layer as multiply.

:D Ok thanks for the reply, i see what your saying i will see if i can find a tute for it today and read up on it. I just normally dodge or burn in shadow and light areas in my textures

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...