Smerch

Hammer

That'd probably work, the engine would treat this vehicle as a tank (with the turret tracking any enemy forces)

But there are several reasons against it, in the first place, although I could make a larger projectile easy enough, I still can't attach all the effects that we're looking for to make this vehicle "cinematic". Also (during testing earlier) I found that the projectile appears in the centre of the turret pivot position and launches parrallel with the horizon. There is no garuantee that a large projectile will look convincing when launching (and may appear at an odd position on the turret)

If all else fails though I think we may end up going down this route :huh:

While I'm waiting for the Smerch I'm doing a similar test to see if I can make a missile for the Tor. I was always going to do this (just not quite yet :) )

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem.......

At the moment I'm just tagging up for vehicle destruction before I get to the missile.

I've got the smerch as destroyable truck but it only takes one frag to wipe it out so I'm tagging one as a tank too (so that you'll have to use rockets)

Once I'm done with that I'll do the missile (I may use the rsb/ model I've already made for my tor and just size it up a bit to match the dimensions of your launcher tubes)

I'll see how I do

outstanding work guys!!!!! Phlookian, I know your map is front and center, so I really appreciate you working on both of those firing problems at this time....! Its all good...So' I had 6 GRADS firing rockets in a mission, 6 is a standard Smerch battery so I was prepping for that...will this Smerch be able to fire repeatedly or is this a one time cinematic thing as we were planning for the TOR? BTW it's ok for the light skinned stuff to be vunerable to frags, I prefer it that way....

mig :ph34r:

Hi Mig,

Well what I've done is not so different from your destroyable barrels. You line the vehicle up exactly with the missile/ vehicle and it works. the destruction is a one time thing but there's nothing to stop you destroying more than one.

I suppose I can rig up a multiple launch but the destruction animations only give you about 3 seconds worth so the battery and flight time will have to fit into that.

Also I've used lots of effects to make it realistic, I've timed everything so that no effects linger too long but you don't want to overdo that. I will agree though that a barrage would look fairly brutal. I'll see how Hammer likes it then go from there.

The best thing, mission wise is is to set up a group that will handle the launch. if the launcher vehicle is destroyed then disable the group to stop more launches. maybe use a zone so that the vehicle only launches when theres a chance of some one seeing the action.

As to the Tor, it launches from the pivot centre of the turret so that wherever the turret turns the missile should still appear in the right place (haven't finished that one though ;) )

BTW I'm working on a decent launch sound. Unfortunately you might have to trigger this by script :(

cool, what I can do is show all six firing in an opening cinematic then quite them for the mission proper, have guys walking and loitering around them, as I already have them doing that around the support vehs....I'm using the LASV Cobaka did for that, and Blakarion's command BDRM...maybe time the obj with keeping them from firing again...first volley was multiple warhead AT stuff, next volley may be WMD related, chem or tac-nuke..

this would probably end up looking more realistic anyway...I mean at some point they have to be reloaded and there is no service veh for that action...so it would probably be best to only have them firing in a cine...or early on...my original hope was for the Ghosts to see the rockets and hear them long before getting a look at the battery...you'll have things to do prior to engaging them anyway...like taking down a comm shack and dealing with a specops group on the roll in the vodnik...

scripted sound effect...sounds like I'm in for some t_and_e now...pun intended...

Ok well we have a moving 1, we have a firing 1 :yes: shall we go for broke (pardone the pun) and have a destroyed one :o

dead1A.jpg

dead2A.jpg

Just need to rework the rsb textures and re aplly them, it should not be to much work :yes:

that looks great Hammer.....nice work. I can't answer your query about those effects, but I bet it gets worked out... :yes: There is always scripted effects if not, I mean its not like it is going anywhere on the map...other than where its placed initially...unless a thought I have just had were to occur.....